PDA

View Full Version : Folex and Bissel LGM question..

TOMSS96
11-01-2001, 03:27 PM
Hey guys, used to lurk around here and occasionally post last spring when I got my new VW golf, picked up a ton of tips, klasse`d it real good, and then forgot about detailing over the summer ;) (except for washing it a lot!)

Anyway I just put on some klasse for the winter, 2 coats of AIO, 2 coats of SG, and last night I noticed some fine scratches on some areas. They are going in the same direction I was applying and buffing, so I`m pretty sure I caused them :mad: But I`m not sure how/why.

I used the MF applicator from CMA for applying AIO, a regular foam applicator for the SG; and micacle towels to remove both. I washed the car thoroughly before I started, and did it all over the weekend and didn`t drive it anywhere between coats. I was even careful to keep the stitching on the towels folded in so it wouldn`t touch the paint!

I washed the miracle towels with liquid era, and a double-rinse cycle, then air-dried them before I used them, could that have messed them up? Anything else I might have done wrong?

Also, I`ve heard that coats of klasse and zaino can get scratched, without the paint underneath being scratched. How can I tell if that`s the case here?

I`m thinking of putting on a 3rd coat of SG this weekend to see if it will fill in the scratches at all... they`re not real bad, but I was pretty bummed to see them! (you can`t even see them unless the light is *just* right, but still...)

thanks!

-Tom

DETAILKING
11-01-2001, 03:41 PM
Some people have been complaing of KLASSE leaving a haze on GERMAN paint. I have noticed this before with some products. What looks like scratches and swirls, is actually a haze.

Pull your car out in the sun and look at the paint at an angle so you can see these swirls. then take a towel or your fingers and rub them while keeping an eye on them and see if the shape of the swirl moves around on your paint. If so, you have this haze.

Good news....your car is not scratched...

BAd news......I don`t know what to tell you in the future so this doesnt happen again with the polymer product you used.

Also, if you didn`t wait long enough for AIO OR SG to dry between coats, it could of gummed up, or your towels could of imprinted swirls in the polish layer that was soft when you rubbed another coat on it.

YoSteve
11-01-2001, 04:05 PM
Did you mf applicator get dirty pretty quickly during the AIO step? everyone should be rinsing and wringing out their applicator like every panel for the first coat.

My guess is that it was from washing (what method?) more than the Klasseing, but sometimes its difficult to pinpoint the culprit. hth-Steve

BillNorth
11-01-2001, 04:07 PM
Tom, read the thread I started below, "Why does Klasse haze German paint?". You have the same problem as alot of us.

TOMSS96
11-01-2001, 04:33 PM
The AIO applicator didn`t get dirty, at least not visibly dirty, as I was using it... to wash I use a cotton chenille washmitt and meguiar`s gold class soap. Actually I used 2 washmitts, one for the upper areas and one for the lower panels. Then an absorber to dry. I`m 99% sure those scratches weren`t there until I klassed, and I`ve been washing like that all summer.

I`ll check this evening to see if the scratches move when I rub them (hmmm, that sounded strange :p ) It doesn`t really look like a haze though, it`s a lot of individual scratches... but I`ll be happy if it is a haze after all!

Also I did the AIO saturday morning, waited an hour then a second coat of AIO, waited another hour then a coat of SG, waited 3-4 hours and buffed. Then another coat of SG sunday morning, waited 3-4 hours and buffed. So I think it had enough time to cure between coats...?

TOMSS96
11-01-2001, 07:39 PM
well dang! It is a haze... there were some "scratches" going horizontally, and when I rubbed vertically through them with my finger it left a bunch of vertical lines. The bad part is that not *all* the horizontal lines were "erased". I went over the area with some QD, but they didn`t go away... so I tried re-applying AIO to just that little spot, and now I`m back to where it was, with some horizontal lines.

It`s only when the light is just right though, so I guess I`ll just live with it for now :(

It seems to happen only in certain spots. Like where there is a bend in the panel. My trouble spots are along the back bumper, where it curves up into the body of the car. Luckily (or unluckily) there are some real scratches there from me being klutzy when I was taking stuff out of the trunk, so they don`t really stand out.

Maybe next spring I`ll try zaino...

ZL1Mark
04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Folex states you can dilute it 4:1 and use it in a mixing tank. I know Folex is more of a spot remover, but I was wondering if it would work well with the LGM?

imported_jaredpointer
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I used it in a big steamer/shampooer vac in the house and it worked okay like that. I believe I used it at 4:1.

ZL1Mark
04-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I used it in a big steamer/shampooer vac in the house and it worked okay like that. I believe I used it at 4:1.
Any specific product that works really way with mixing tank machines?

imported_jaredpointer
04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
The only things I tried were Folex and house branded shampoo vac solutions.

imported_TLMitchell
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Folex states you can dilute it 4:1 and use it in a mixing tank. I know Folex is more of a spot remover, but I was wondering if it would work well with the LGM?

I think you could use any suitable cleaner. IME, with the LGM flushing it out thoroughly after use is the key to preventing things gumming up and clogging the sprayer or innards.

I`ve quit using the tank for anything except water. I use Folex to spot treat and APC+ 4:1 out of a spray bottle. I use the LGM to add warm water before extraction, seem to have the best results that way. Most of the reviews I`ve seen on LGM failures and returns seem to be due to things getting gummed up.

I also finish with a Shop Vac... very little drying time with that method.

TL

imported_Flash Gordon
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Absolutely Awesome works great if you spray directly on the area to be treated. If you put it in the tank, it suds like crazy :out:

ZL1Mark
04-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I use Folex to spot treat and APC+ 4:1 out of a spray bottle.

TL
Do you only use Folex to spot treat because it`s not as cost effective as APC?

imported_TLMitchell
04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Do you only use Folex to spot treat because it`s not as cost effective as APC?

Never really thought about it... I`ve just always just spot treated the toughest stuff with Folex. Never really thought about using it on the whole carpet. I suppose it`d work fine but have always used APC+ or a spray foam carpet cleaner for all but the worst spots. You`ve got a point about cost-effectiveness though... at 4:1 APC+ is pretty cheap.

TL

ZL1Mark
04-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Well guys, I decided to try this:

http://www.protectcarpetcleaning.com/carpet_cleaner.html