PDA

View Full Version : Flash`s Brown Royal: Initial Thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

Glozz
10-29-2001, 03:59 PM
After searching the word "clay" I found that there were far to many threads about clay bars. I am in the market to get a very good, high quality clay bar for detail work.

I`m not interested in Mother`s or Meguiar`s brand (these seem to be used a lot on this board). My interests have been piqued by Pinnacle`s and a brand called "Clay Magic". I see that Clay Magic has a red and blue clay depending on how badly the surface is contaminated. Its not important to me if I have to wait to order rather then go to the local auto parts store to get it. Thus my choices so far.

Has anyone used either of these products and could you share your experiance in regards to them?

Thanks much.

edgewise
10-29-2001, 04:04 PM
Hiya Jazzy, I live in Washington state too, and although this is straying alittle from your intended audience, I`ve used Griots Claybar, they are located in Fife, near tacoma, right across from BMW Northwest. Excellent car finish products, and the Clay runs about $19. Incidently, the owner also uses Griots on his BMW, as well as all his antique cars that`s he`s won many concours with.

Cheers from Sumner.

BradE
10-29-2001, 04:05 PM
I have used the blue Clay Magic before. It works good. I did not have any smearing or breaking down of the clay, and it glided over the surface nicely. Zaino clay is also good.

cahlroach
10-29-2001, 04:23 PM
I have used the Mothers, Griots and Zaino. Both the Griots and the Zaino worked very well, but the Mothers wasn`t nearly as good.

DETAILKING
10-29-2001, 04:37 PM
They all work great. I would not use the RED clay magic bar, for it is harsh. If your paint is that bad, use a paint cleanser first. If you are going to use quick detailer, mothers works great, if you are going to use car wash or dawn as lube, go with clay magic or Zaino. What ever you do, stay away from meguires clay, it makes a mess....

imported_doug
10-29-2001, 05:29 PM
I`ve used Mother`s with great success - for those who`ve compared it to other brands - what do the others do better?

kbshadow
10-29-2001, 05:48 PM
I used both, when I used Mcguiars it gummed up and stained my car, called their help line and they were no help.

Just tried Mothers and was very very happy with the results.

Bob

Stockton Ca

Footy
10-30-2001, 05:41 AM
I have only used Pinnacle Poly Clay, so I have no basis for comparison, but it works well for me, with no residue at all. I use carwash soap solution as the lube. The product was less "pliable" than I expected, but that is not a problem.

forrest@mothers
10-30-2001, 08:15 AM
I think you`ll find alot of similarities between the MOTHERS®, Zaino and Pinnacle clay bars.

I`d be real surprised if a person found a difference in the 3 after using them.

The Clay Magic red bar is very aggresive, and will require you go back over he paint with a ight polish and a machine to remove the micromarring it leaves in the paint. The blue is much milder, like the rest of the bars out there.

The CM bars do not respond real well to the use of a cold water/car wash solution - they may fall apart. It`s not a problem of the bar, though, since they`re made to be used with a proper lubricant like a detailer spray.

aphrodesia
10-30-2001, 08:48 AM
I was also very happy with the mothers bar. The problem was with storage. I put it in a plastic baggie and it completely melded with the clay bar. I couldn`t save the bar and it was destroyed.

Where do I find just the bar? I previously bought the whole clay bar system and now I only need the bar.

neileastmeadow
10-30-2001, 10:24 AM
mr. dove .. i bought the mother kit and used it and store the bar in a plastic bag as per instructions and same thing happened to me. i took back the kit with the receipt to pepboys and got a whole new kit, 44 days later !

i now store mine in a tupperware container ....

mother rules for local claybar ... works great!

neil

imported_doug
10-30-2001, 10:35 AM
Weird - I`ve not had the stick-to-the-bag problem. I did spray a little detail spray into the bag. I`ve used the Mothers and Meguiar`s FI detail sprays as lubricants. Could you guys be using different ones? Or maybe we just use different kinds of bags? Mine is a cheap Glad sandwhich bag - not the firmer ziplock kind of plastic....

neileastmeadow
10-30-2001, 10:38 AM
used a zip lock bag ... thin one .. and used the mother lube that came with it ... hmmm .....

imported_jaredpointer
04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Just a quick thread on my initial thoughts of Brown Royal cleaner. Quick and dirty...

My father-in-law got some new-to-him wheels for a Jeep he has. There was some foreign substance on the wheels, and he wanted me to look at them for him. He had bought some Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Cleaner to try and remove it, however when we tried it it wasn`t budging. Coincidentally, I had received the package from Flash Detailing Products earlier in the day, so I put the sprayer in the 32 ounce bottle and used it straight out of the container. Other than some really caked on areas, it laughed at what the EO cleaner couldn`t remove. There were a couple spots I used some clay on, but I believe had I let the Brown Royal sit and dwell for a while, it might have broken it up a little more. We were very rushed, and this was spur of the moment, but it gave me time to draft some initial thoughts.

Likes: Product is thick, and it allows it to sit on the wheel. Can use it for both tires and wheels (did a good job on both). The color is unique - you can see where you applied it and where it`s dwelling. Not very strong of a smell. Busted caked on brake dust and grime very easily. Very affordable. Fast shipping. Friendly customer service. Good sprayer on the bottle.

Dislikes: None so far.

I know, very quick and abbreviated. No pics. Maybe next time I can try it at different dilutions and take some photos and draft some more in depth thoughts.

Old Pirate
04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks JP!