PDA

View Full Version : A question and update?!!

Pages : [1] 2

compulady
10-28-2001, 03:13 PM
I`ve read so much on detailing my new car and am extremely confused and am asking for some help. I need to decide on a product or products. Am I correct in understanding that I should polish then wax my car? Once I wax, do I put more coats of polish or wax on my car?

I don`t have time to polish or wax my car every week. I`d rather spend more money on a good long-lasting product that will produce a good shine than have to do work every week.

Here are my requirements:

Shine: I`d like a deep, wet shine

Long protection: 4-6 months (it is too cold to polish or wax in the winter)

I like the color of my car and don`t want it to change.

I don`t want to rotate amongst 5 different maunfacturers (2 would be okay)

I would prer to purchase products from a store but will be happy to mail order if the end results are truely better.

I`ve seen favorable posts about Klasse. Do you wax over the Klasse? I`ve also seen favorable posts about the Pinnacle products which include polish and wax. Help, I`m confused!!

Thank you in advance.

vettefan67
10-28-2001, 03:47 PM
Hi compulady, and welcome!

It sounds like you`ve done some reading around here, that`s good! Try reading
this thread (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3856`) for some beginning info. After that you will have more questions like Klasse or Zaino and there is no answer to that besides the one you can decide for yourself. A search will yield multiple Klasse vs. Zaino threads, but in summary people seem to like Klasse better on darker cars for the deep, wet gloss it brings out.

Feel free to ask more questions, there are a lot of helpful people here!
:bounce
puterbum

imported_doug
10-28-2001, 04:33 PM
You said you want to buy it at a store. Here is my simple recipe that meets all your criteria. Get yourself some Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, and some Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Protection.

The latter is the wax - it lasts well. You polish BEFORE and only before you wax. If you`re not happy with the state of your car`s paint before you wax, use the cleaner. (This is a cleaner/polish - it does contain some abrasive.)

This is fine for many people. If you have a really dark color or black and you decide this isn`t good enough for you, come back here and we have plenty more advice!

YoSteve
10-28-2001, 05:01 PM
The two big systems around here are Klasse and Zaino.

Many use Liquid Glass, NuFinish, and even Meguiars (professional line only) and get what they are in search for.

With Klasse people like to use Pinnacle products (pinnacle paint cleansing lotion as a pre wax) then 3m products for swirls and after Klasse a carnuba topper can be used like One Grand Blitz wax and Pinnacle Souveran ($). Many like QD`s like Meguiars Final inspection, One Grand Show Off, (there`s others). And for washing Meguiars Gold Class, or Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and some others.

With Zaino, the Z line has everything you need (minus the swirl removal), including a QD, dressing, wash, etc.

Hope that cleared some of that up for you, basically it`s a choice between the two systems. I myself with my Silver Passat don`t notice a considerable difference in darkening, IMO on my car. Course where I live it seems like it`s dark everyday :D

Either way you`re going to have to get some wash mitt`s and some quality towels. HTH-Steve

compulady
10-28-2001, 05:02 PM
Thank you so far for your replies. Just to clarify, my car is a 2001 Silver Acura CL. So far here are my thoughts:

Meguiar’s Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner (I can get this at Pep Boys)

Klasse All-In-One

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

The question is with a Silver car should I put Pinnacle Paste Glaz Car Wax over the Sealant Glaze for best results? I understand this wax doesn`t last too long. Do I put more sealant on and wax again or just add more coats of wax. If so, do I have to remove the wax before polishing again?

The other route is to purchase either the Pinnacle Sizzling Shine Detailing Kit with the Paste Glaz or the Souveran Kit from properautocare. These kits have the shampoo, pre-conditioner and wax.

Which route is best for a silver car and will produce the nicest results? Which will last the longest? Which will give better winter protection as I live in PA?

rmccall6
10-28-2001, 05:28 PM
Thats not an easily answerable auestion. From my experience, Klasse produces the brightest shine i have seen, which could look nice with your silver. It lacks some in the wettness catigory, so topping it with some paste glaze or blitz would deinately help. CMA (properautocare.com) the sponser of this site is comming out with a new product line called Blackfire, it inclues a shampoo, QD, and polymer polish and sealent. The shine is nice and wet and since its a polymer should last you a n easy six moths. I would check that out.

JasonC8301
10-28-2001, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the board,

I use Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo (gold/copper in the color) and I like it very much. Its good and cheap, at $10 or so for a gallon at Target.

The carnauba topper on top of the Klasse sealant system is totally optional. Once you put on the carnauba you can NOT put on more Klasse SG. The Klasse makes the silver very shiny IMHO. If you want to Sg a waxed car, you have to strip the wax with dawn then wash with a regular shampoo, then SG away.

I have some pictures of Klasse on silver cars at

www.angelfire.com/home/detailing

The BMW has 1X AIO, 4X SG, and 3X Blitz.

The MB has 3X SG (but it was 2-3 months after Sg treatment in the picture.)

Klasse/Blitz or with one of Pinnacle Waxes (Paste Glaz or Souveran) produces very nice results for me. The Blitz is the most durable carnauba wax I ever used, I get about 2-3 months from it, the Souveran is less durable getting only 4-6 weeks, and Paste Glaz gets 3-4 weeks. These waxes are not good for protection in the winter because I only wax when it is over 50 degrees.

Polymers outlast carnauba waxes barnone. The Klasse is used mainly for protection and shine while the wax provides depth and wetness.

I have not noticed any darkening of the paint with 3 coats of Klasse SG, it just made it brighter and shinier, but thena gain its personal preference.

Zaino seems to coat the surface and preserve the color, Klasse/carnauba sometimes darkens the paint, I really like this on darker colored cars, but I have not noticed this on lighter color cars, maybe just different paint application methods.

www.zainobros.com

On the garaged BMW in the picture on my website, I only need to detail it once a year with Klasse. A quick wash and quick detail with Ef Clear Pearl and its sparkling again. It helps that the car is garaged during the week and only taken out a few times a month on weekends.

I only need to do a major overhaul with Klasse twice a year on a daily driver. Klasse/Blitz in the spring and maintain that with a wax application every 2 months, then Klasse/Blitz before winter. Then have it get all dirty and start from scratch again in the spring. I know big Autopia no-no, but hey I have my limits, when water freezes thats when I stop.

You can wait until these new products come out, BlackFire and Zaino ZFX, or you can give Klasse a test drive at www.yosteve.com for about $15. If you finish up the SG (after about 2-3 coats, remember thin is key and you need more just e-mail me and I will fill the bottle up for you.)

Also quality product and technique is key, download the eBook at www.autopia-carcare.com and learn the basics of detailing to keep your ride sparkling.

Also visit the sponser of this board www.properautocare.com to get quality washing supplies and other odds and ends.

Happy Detailing,
Jason

JonB
10-28-2001, 06:16 PM
Take a look at some of the pics that I posted in the last two days with Klasse/Souveran, Klasse/Blitz and a silver Accord with Zaino. It might give you a better idea of what these combo`s can do for you. My opinion is that the Zaino is the easiest and all inclusive system and looks very well on silver. The Klasse is beautiful also, but a tad bit more work and with a lot of layers along with wax, will darken the color. I like that on the dark green Mustang, and Steel Gray bimmer, but I think it would mute the silver a drop. The durability is probably very similar, though with Klasse you will probably want to strip every 6 months or so. The Zaino you just add more layters, so long as your paint doesn`t get damaged. The prices are pretty similar. I bought pretty much the entire Zaino system for about $80 and the Klasse concourse kit for $40, add wax and QD etc and its pretty much the same. Both available on the net. Good Luck!

H

YoSteve
10-28-2001, 06:21 PM
wow jason, that`s quite an answer. I`m going to erase my answer now ;)

rstype
10-28-2001, 07:20 PM
You might also want to consider Blackfire. It’s a new product coming out this November that is supposed to be even better than Klasse. http://www.properautocare.com/blackfire.html (`http://www.properautocare.com/blackfire.html`)

The New Car Kit (`http://www.properautocare.com/blacnewcarki.html`) includes the car wash, polish, sealant, 2 applicators, 2 towels, and instructions.

Doughboy
10-28-2001, 11:50 PM
Hi, and welcome to the board. I am also pretty new. I have been detailing cars and my truck for awhile, but I just haven`t find exactly what I am looking for with polishes and waxes yet for my new black Max. So, I will leave that part to everyone else. I am waiting for Blackfire to come out and I will give that a try.

But to this point, I`ve been using One Grand Blitz wax (GREAT) and Meguiar`s Gold Class liquid wax (Meguiar`s Cleaner and Polish too).

I thought I would give you a few recommendations for other things... (my personal favorites)

Wash: Meguiar`s Gold Class Shampoo, washmitt (I`ve heard chenille or microfiber are the best) [store/ online]

Dry: California Water Blade, Absorber [store/ online]

Quick Detailing: Meguiar`s Quik Detailer or Final Inspection [store/ online]

Leather (if you have): Lexol Cleaner & Conditioner [store/ online]

Vinyl: Meguiar`s Vinyl Protectant (I use this on the interior) [store/ online], 303 Aerospace Protectant (I use this on rubber seals, outside black trim and rubber, and my nose mask) [only ever seen online]

Tires: Meguiar`s Instant Wheel Cleaner, Meguiar`s High Endurance Gloss Tire Gel [store/ online]

Wheels: Mine are clearcoated, so I clean with soapy water and wax with regular wax on occasion

Clear Plastic: Meguiar`s Clear Plastic Detailer [only ever seen online]

Other good things to have on hand: California Duster (be gentle), diaper-soft 100% cotton rags, Fieldcrest Charisma towels (which I need to order, but have heard great things about), Microfiber towels, static rags (such as regular Pledge) for a quick dusting on interior

Hope this helps some...

:D

Vipertwin175
03-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey guys,

has anyone used the new formula of meguairs quik interior detailer wipes, in the new formula? If so what do you think!

i have recently used them and i am not impressed, i liked the old stuff better!

And has anyone heard of the turtlewax ice series such as wax, or polish, or the tireshine?

I am looking into trying their turtlewax ice interior detailer spray? i hope i get better results.

I have done a recent detail on my 04 Mountaineer! I have used the meguiars smooth surface clay bar kit and their goldclass paste wax.

And man you would not believe the difference!:w00t: It is flippin sweet!!!:thumbup: My paint is smooth as glass. I wish i could add some photos on here but my laptop does not have an microsd slot.:(

imported_Flash Gordon
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey guys,

has anyone used the new formula of meguairs quik interior detailer wipes, in the new formula? If so what do you think!

i have recently used them and i am not impressed, i liked the old stuff better!

And has anyone heard of the turtlewax ice series such as wax, or polish, or the tireshine?

I am looking into trying their turtlewax ice interior detailer spray? i hope i get better results.

I have done a recent detail on my 04 Mountaineer! I have used the meguiars smooth surface clay bar kit and their goldclass paste wax.

And man you would not believe the difference!:w00t: It is flippin sweet!!!:thumbup: My paint is smooth as glass. I wish i could add some photos on here but my laptop does not have an microsd slot.:(

I`ve never used the detail wipes or turtlewax ice products. I have heard TW Ice makes a decent OTC product though :wizard:

Glad to see you got the Mountaineer ready for Spring :blacksmith:

Tuck91
03-30-2010, 12:38 PM
I actually have both the spray version and the wipes on hand for all of my details. The wipes are handy for reaching crevices without having to spray in there.

What did you not like about the wipes?

Its odd that you say you like the old version better, since this new version is almolst the same. Just a stronger scent and better cleaning ability.

Vipertwin175
03-30-2010, 09:49 PM
The older version of meguiars quik interior detailer wipes actully gave me that really high shine that i loved, its that wetlook that i like.:cool:

But this version did not give me that look. It was probably because the seal was punctured. And i did not know until after i took it home and used them. :doh: