PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Drive an A3?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Intermezzo
10-27-2001, 05:54 PM
First Question:

I currently use Pinnacle Paste Glaz on my silver car on top of KSG and am getting great results. I just bought a new car (Black MB CLK Convertible) and I was wondering if it was worth taking the plunge and buying souveran. I was initially thinking Zaino, but since this is going to be in the garage most of the time and only driven on the weekends, I figured I`d stay with a carnauba. My question is, does Souveran really look that much better than PPG on dark colors or is it more of a situation where they both look great on dark colors but Souveran looks just a tad better? I`ve used Souveran before but only on a silver car and it was hard for me to tell a difference.

Second Question:

I just ordered an XPEL headlight cover for my Civic. What`s the best way to remove the few rock chips I have on it right now before I install the headlight cover?

Thanks for your help.

imported_Intermezzo
10-29-2001, 12:36 AM
27 views and not a single reply? C`mon brother autopians. Anything will do....just need help ending this `paralysis by analysis` I`m going through. :)

vettefan67
10-29-2001, 12:43 AM
You certainly know how to get people to reply!

I have not used Souveran or PPG yet, but I can say what I have gathered from reading countless threads on this forum. The answer is the second you proposed, they both look great but Souveran brings out that extra little something that makes people love it above all others. Just ask Jason for a picture of his shoes;)

As to the headlights question...good one, I`ll wait for the answer too!

imported_Intermezzo
10-29-2001, 12:46 AM
Puterbum, thanks!

vettefan67
10-29-2001, 12:52 AM
Intermezzo: I know it can be pretty hard waiting for people to respond sometimes but just wait until the regulars get on tomorrow morning and you`ll get the response you`re looking for!

:bounce

imported_Homer
10-29-2001, 12:58 AM
I`ve polished up headlights on a few Supras in my area by wetsanding them with 1500 grit paper and then following up with a plastic polish. These headlights have a plastic cover...don`t know if you could do this with glass lenses.

A PC will help speed up the process and the results will look great.

Footy
10-29-2001, 01:01 AM
It`s up to 41 views now :D

Not sure if the rock chips on your headlights involve missing material, but i was able to remove some roughness from my (plastic) headlights using a clay bar (Pinnacle Poly Clay).

vettefan67
10-29-2001, 01:11 AM
Intermezzo--

In rereading your post, I saw that you said the car would be garaged most of the time. In that case, I would certainly encourage you to make the leap and purchase Souveran if your wallet can handle it. Reasons:

Souveran doesn`t last too terribly long, so it`s not a good idea for daily drivers unless it`ll be applied every few weeks.

You will only be driving the car on weekends, right? Well weekends are to get away from the weekdays, and you want to enjoy them to the fullest! Let the weekend car look its best! You`ll be proud.

puter

imported_Intermezzo
10-29-2001, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I`ll give your suggestions a shot.

Puterbum, I think I`ve made my decision! Maybe I`ll finally be able to get some sleep tonight!

rstype
11-14-2001, 09:56 PM
This might be a bit too late, but I found this on the interview with Terry and Autopia.

Difference between Paste Glaz and Souveran:

"They are actually two totally different formulas. The mental image most consumers have of waxing their car is a bright shine. They think it`s from the carnauba but it`s not. The shine comes from the polymers suspended in the carnauba. The carnauba is only the base used to hold the polymers in place. Paste Glaz has a high polymer content for a very bright shine. We recommend it for light color cars, white, silver, beige, etc. Souveran on the other hand has a very low polymer content. It is designed for black, red and dark color cars where you don`t want just shine, you want depth and shimmer. We suspend oils in the wax which darken and enrich dark color paints. Souveran is also a real bear to make. I have to get down on my hands and knees and beg the company that pours it for us to make another batch. It`s extremely labor intensive which is why it costs so much."

So I guess the <em class=`bbc`>shine[/i] is from the polymers in waxes, not the carnauba in it, and the <em class=`bbc`>depth[/i] is usually from the oils.

dengelson
11-14-2001, 10:43 PM
The cost of Souveran was the only thing that was keeping me from ordering it. It sounds like a good match for my black car and I could afford it if I really wanted it,as most of you could too I`m sure, but 70 bucks for 8 oz! :eek: Right or wrong I just felt like that was pretty dang steep for wax. However you have to Check This Out, Souveran for $40 (`http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html`) and PPCL for $10. I just came down off the fence and bought some of each. :)

Josiah
11-14-2001, 11:14 PM
Is the Souveran a good topper for Klasse? or would one have to strip klasse before applying?

How does it compare to blitz (if it is a topper)?

Josiah

Don2000g
11-14-2001, 11:56 PM
Souveran will definitely make your car look even better than any other carnauba that you have. No doubt about it. This especially holds true for black. You`re going to love it. Laters.

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-15-2001, 12:38 AM
are u just gonna get the Xpel for the headlights...not anything else...i think thats what i got from your post.....if so is it because you dont have any other chips.....and...is this going to be your first time installing the Xpel........i just re-read your post....is it just 1 headlight thats getting the Xpel...?...i ask because i am considering getting the Xpel for my headlights first...as a test to see how well i`ll do with the self-install....then ill consider the rest of the car

imported_Intermezzo
11-15-2001, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I was going to wait till I finished my PPG, but I just placed an order for Souveran yesterday.

Josiah, you definitely do not have to strip Klasse before applying Souveran. Based on other people`s posts here, I`m sure it is the perfect topper for Klasse (so is blitz).

FLONI, I`m only going to get the 3M safety film for my headlights from the CMA site and nothing else...at least for now. Maybe I shouldn`t have used the word "chips" when referring to my headlights. It`s more like hundreds of little specks I can see when the lights are on. Over time, I`m sure these specks would cloud my headlights. I just want to polish those off and apply the film so my headlights can stay clear, even as the car gets old.

Both headlights are getting the safety film.

Yes, this is the first time I`m installing it. From what I`ve heard, it`s not all that difficult to install the headlight film and other parts of the car. Sort of like installing window tint.