PDA

View Full Version : Newbe with 1991 Mercedes needs help!

Pages : [1] 2

Blackmirror
10-26-2001, 05:25 PM
I dont know if i asked this before. I probably did but didn`t see it so I`m asking again I guess. What cleaner do you guys use for AFTERMARKET tint?

cpaddock
10-26-2001, 05:28 PM
I myself use microfiber cloths. It works great for me:).

Blackmirror
10-26-2001, 05:44 PM
What i meant was a cleaner such as Stoners Invisible Glass. Any cleaners that are safe with aftermarket tint?

imported_Haylo75
10-26-2001, 05:49 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Blackmirror [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>What i meant was a cleaner such as Stoners Invisible Glass. Any cleaners that are safe with aftermarket tint? [/b]</blockquote>
You could use Plexus, which is available on CMA...

JonB
10-26-2001, 07:30 PM
I think Eagle one 20/20, but you should check just to be sure....

H

z4zen
10-26-2001, 08:55 PM
another vote for Plexus... that stuff works great!

Greek Guy
10-27-2001, 07:43 PM
Plexus, EF Clear Vision, Eagle One 20/20 as well as Stoners Invisible Glass are all good products for aftermarket tinted windows.

Blackmirror
10-28-2001, 10:12 PM
Thanks. I happen to have Stoners IG.

kmcbride22
03-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Hello all. So I bought a 91 Mercedes 560 SEL with the hope of bringing this cars finish back to life. Well I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I can`t seem to do anything for the aluminum door and window trim. It looks compleatly oxidized and faded. I was on a Mercedes forum, and they said there is nothing you can do once it gets to this point. Any idea if this is true? I tryed a little rubbing compound on a small area with no change. Here is a link to some pictures of it.
http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/kmcbride22/?newest=1

Old Pirate
03-27-2010, 06:49 PM
They might be right, but I`ll check at PAC. I got something thing that might work because I try it on a 5 series metal trim and work very good. I`ll post it for you next week.

imported_Termigator
03-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you`ll have a fun (and expensive. MB parts are not cheap!) project for a good while.

This might be a stretch, but maybe you could try polishing the trim with a Dremel. I know the Dremel kit I bought came with a few polishing bits and some kind of polishing compound. It worked great at polishing my wedding ring (although I`m pretty sure platinum isn`t as hard as aluminum).

kmcbride22
03-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Well I have since learned that it is anodized aluminum, and the guys at the Mercedes forum say that there is nothing that can be done. It seems like with all the products out there something would be able to help, but maybe not.

imported_Flash Gordon
03-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Well I have since learned that it is anodized aluminum, and the guys at the Mercedes forum say that there is nothing that can be done. It seems like with all the products out there something would be able to help, but maybe not.

Thats not anodized aluminum :spy:

If you have a steady hand the Dremel Termigator recommended would cut your time in 1/2 or more and give a much better finish :wizard:

You need to be using a Metal polish. Not Rubbing compound :(

Welcome to Truth In Detailing. Hope to see you around :Frosty:

kmcbride22
03-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Well I`m going to try the dremal with some metal polish. Al the guy`s on the Mercedes forum said it was anodized aluminum, thats where I got that from. I wouldn`t know because I don`t have a clue what anodized aluminum is vs some other type of aluminum

Dave1
03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Hello all. So I bought a 91 Mercedes 560 SEL with the hope of bringing this cars finish back to life.

Well, if you`re going to keep it for a little while, no biggie.......

Clean it up the best you can and enjoy the ride.......(mug click)

It`s a nice car but, replacement parts are a wee bitter......