PDA

View Full Version : Fill n glaze coumpounds

Pages : [1] 2

imported_doug
10-26-2001, 11:59 AM
I see a lot of board members really like the Klasse All In One plus SG, so I want to give it a try. I have the sample kit but haven`t tried it yet. I have a few questions:

1) how abrasive is AIO compared to, say, 3M Dark Finish SMR?

2) From what I`ve read, it should be OK to apply with an orbital, right? Any techniques that do/don`t work?

3) Can I put the 1st coat of SG on right away, or does the AIO need to cure too?

Thanks -

BradE
10-26-2001, 12:04 PM
You can put the SG on right after you wipe off the AIO. You can use an orbital, but you can get thinner coats by hand. Remember, use very thin coats.....it should only take 1 oucne or less to do your entire car.

drmcetta
10-26-2001, 12:05 PM
1. IMO AIO is much less abrasive compared to SMR, AIO has only a very mild cleaner in it...

2. Yes, it`s ok (although I never tried it, but several other members have tried it)

3. I usually immediately follow AIO with the first layer of SG, but I wait several days for the second layer of SG

(I believe Tim also applies AIO and SG this way)

hope that helps :)

DETAILKING
10-26-2001, 12:07 PM
You can get good results by hand as well. I would wait a few hours between SG and AIO coats, although some apply back to back. DAVID B has experienced "gumming" when applying back to back coats because the first coat is not cured enough and the second starts to degrade the first. I feel that ANY polymer product should be giving proper time to cure, unless it is an instant cure system, which would require a chemical catalyst to speed up the reaction....

imported_doug
10-26-2001, 01:47 PM
Thanks, everyone - I realized I had one other question. Many of you like to wax over the SG. I assume this is for heightened gloss/depth as opposed to protection? Or is the other way around? If for protection, can I use either polymer (Gold Class) OR carnauba wax over it?

Thanks - very helpful answers.

BradE
10-26-2001, 01:50 PM
The wax topper is for added depth. Synthetic products sometimes lack depth, thus the wax topper. The wax topper does not add to the protection of the car, just the looks. Helps to give the finish that little extra "pop"

drmcetta
10-26-2001, 01:57 PM
yep, the wax topper is mostly for looks not protection....although to be honest I did not see a remarkable diffrence...

by the way, doesn`t Meguiar`s gold class wax contain a mild polish in it (someone told me a long time ago)? if yes, then it should not be used on top of SG (as it might remove some of SG protection)..I could be wrong though :)

JonB
10-26-2001, 02:54 PM
I just got through washing and waxing my 330i. The car was Klassed about 2 months ago. I did notice a little less shine than normal and I popped on a coat of Souveran. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

More work, but IMO worth it.... I`ll try to get some pics tomorrow if the sun comes out!

H

DETAILKING
10-26-2001, 03:03 PM
Do you mean in 2 months you started to see the gloss fade? Also, keep us posted on how long the gloss lasts with the PS WAX......

Thanks.....

JonB
10-26-2001, 03:08 PM
Maybe that`s why I thought it looked less shiny. I did put Souveran on about a month ago. I guess the wax was gone. I do notice a difference with the wax though. More shine, more depth.

H

YoSteve
10-26-2001, 04:13 PM
AIO is a cleaner, work it in real well and rinse your damp sponge (or mf applicator which I prefer) if it gets visibly dirty. Don`t forget to wring it out. Apply the SG with a dry sponge.

imported_doug
10-26-2001, 05:47 PM
YoSteve - when you say sponge, do you mean like the little foam applicators, or kitchen sponge, or something else? Also - wet with H2O, or QD?

Langit - this is a semantics problem. In Meguiar`s terms, "polishes" don`t have abrasives - only oils and/or fillers. This isn`t always the case - but "Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax" is a polymer-based product - so I would assume that makes it OK to apply over SG. It really does have a wonderful gloss.

Doughboy
10-26-2001, 09:10 PM
"3. I usually immediately follow AIO with the first layer of SG, but I wait several days for the second layer of SG"

Langit,

What do you do if your car gets dirty during this time? Or do you keep it covered and garaged? If dirty, can it be washed in between your SG coats or do you start all over or just forget it?

:D

vettefan67
10-26-2001, 09:17 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by luvmymax [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>If dirty, can it be washed in between your SG coats or do you start all over or just forget it?[/b]</blockquote>
Yes. You can wash your car before applying another layer. No need to start over unless you have already topped the SG with wax.

drmcetta
10-26-2001, 10:07 PM
yes, I always wash my car before applying the next coat of SG :)