PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning SS/Black Chrome exhaust

Clean Dean
10-25-2001, 11:36 PM
Last week I went through my weekend ritual of washing my wife`s car. I am very anal about removing brake dust from the cars wheels and grime from the wheel wells as often as possible to avoid any heavy accumulations. During the last 6 month I`ve been using Einmanns HI on my own vehicles as well as my customer`s vehicles. I am quite happy with HI , however this past weekend I used a very inexpensive product made by Castrol that in my opinion performed as well as HI (if not better) and at a unbelievable price!

I purchased 1 gallon of this product at Walmart for about $6.00

Bobby G
10-26-2001, 12:41 AM
I agree that Castrol is a great cleaner. However, my experience is that it is very hard on aluminum, paint and rubber. As an occassional cleaner, with a lot of flushing, it will not harm your car. Regular use on wheels and engine parts is, IMHO, not a good idea.

db

Clean Dean
10-26-2001, 12:53 AM
Thanks David. I really had no previous experience with this product, and had some great results with it the first time out. I will take your advice and be careful with its application.

:up

makeitshine
03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Any one found a good product to do the initial cleaning of SS/Chrome exhaust? I wound up using paint thinner on my stainless steel exhaust to get the stuck on globs of crud off, then polished with Wenol, etc. Recently got some black chrome tips put on another vehicle and even paint thinner doesn`t want to clean them up!

imported_Flash Gordon
03-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Any one found a good product to do the initial cleaning of SS/Chrome exhaust? I wound up using paint thinner on my stainless steel exhaust to get the stuck on globs of crud off, then polished with Wenol, etc. Recently got some black chrome tips put on another vehicle and even paint thinner doesn`t want to clean them up!

I can`t say that I`ve ever encountered the black chrome tips(although I love the look of black chrome)

I suppose I would tackle them the same as regular SS tips. 3M has a product that is a sheet of abrasive material(simalar to a scouring pad) that works really good.

If they are super nasty the xxxx steel wool is your answer. Spray your tips with straight APC and let soak. Then scrub clean and polish

I would welcome you to TID, but it looks like you`ve been here longer then me. I`m such a postwhore :redface:

makeitshine
03-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I can`t say that I`ve ever encountered the black chrome tips(although I love the look of black chrome)

I suppose I would tackle them the same as regular SS tips. 3M has a product that is a sheet of abrasive material(simalar to a scouring pad) that works really good.

Know the name of them? And it doesn`t scratch up your finish? When I think of 3M pads I think of the red pads we used prior to painting and those suckers will literally scratch glass.

If they are super nasty the xxxx steel wool is your answer. Spray your tips with straight APC and let soak. Then scrub clean and polish

You have used steel wool on SS without it scratching? APC?

I would welcome you to TID, but it looks like you`ve been here longer then me. I`m such a postwhore :redface:[/QUOTE]
:biggrin:

imported_Flash Gordon
03-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Know the name of them? And it doesn`t scratch up your finish? When I think of 3M pads I think of the red pads we used prior to painting and those suckers will literally scratch glass.

You have used steel wool on SS without it scratching? APC?

I`m searching for the name. They come in sheets about the size of a piece of notebook paper. I cut them where 1 sheet makes 3 pads :wizard:

If you would like, I will stick a pad in an envolope and mail it to you :wizard:

These are black in color and are made for automotive use, not the kitchen kind :wizard:

As for using xxxx steel wool...Yes, just about all your late model luxury cars come with SS tips :wizard:

You will need to polish them afterwards :wizard:

As stated earlier, if you PM a mailing address. I will shoot you a pad :wizard:

bmw5541
03-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Flash,

I really like P21S Polishing Soap. Does a great job on my chrome tips!:thumbup:

imported_Flash Gordon
03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Flash,

I really like P21S Polishing Soap. Does a great job on my chrome tips!:thumbup:

I`ve never had the pleasure of trying this P21S you speak of Barry, but have always heard good things :Snowman:

I will shoot you my mailing address :Gift:

makeitshine...Maybe for that black chrome you may wanna try something milder such as this P21S Barry is recommending :Car smiley:

makeitshine
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Have to see how mild the soap is, I was a little amazed with lacquer thinner didn`t take off the road grime, it has always been a stand by for me on my cars SS exhaust, followed up with a little Wenol metal polish.

I`ll PM you.

Thanks

imported_Flash Gordon
04-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Have to see how mild the soap is, I was a little amazed with lacquer thinner didn`t take off the road grime, it has always been a stand by for me on my cars SS exhaust, followed up with a little Wenol metal polish.

I`ll PM you.

Thanks

Sent you a piece today. Sorry for the uneven cut and upside down envolope :o

The 3M part# is 07448 Scotch -Bright Ultra Fine Hand Pad :wizard:

makeitshine
04-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Sent you a piece today. Sorry for the uneven cut and upside down envolope :o

The 3M part# is 07448 Scotch -Bright Ultra Fine Hand Pad :wizard:

Thanks, I appreciate it. Hopefully this will do the trick!