PDA

View Full Version : What is it that I`m really polishing?

Doughboy
10-25-2001, 08:18 PM
Does the Klasse All-In-One contain any type of abrasive? I have a black car (Nissan) - will these Klasse products be okay on the paint? I`ve really been wanting to try them.

imported_Brad
10-25-2001, 08:54 PM
Klasse AIO has an abrasive which helps with cleaning. It is perfectly safe to use on any painted surface.

pingiii
10-25-2001, 08:57 PM
I don`t believe AIO has an abrasive per say. I believe it cleans with a mild chemical cleaner, but does have sea kelp in it to aid in the cleaning. It does not have an abrasive such as Swirl Remover, or Finesse It by 3M. I wouldn`t use AIO every week to polish my car, but I would, and do polish my vehicle twice a year with it, and that is very acceptable to me.

It will not hurt your paint. Enjoy!

:up

rstype
10-25-2001, 08:57 PM
On CMA`s site describing Klasse, http://www.properautocare.com/kla-16.html, (`http://www.properautocare.com/kla-16.html,`) it says "Contains no abrasives or silicones." However, even if they do contain some, I find that they work fine with black paint.

Don2000g
10-28-2001, 08:53 PM
The claim on the bottle that Klasse AIO has no abrasives is somewhat misleading. It`s not a very strong abrasive at all. It is very mild and perfectly safe to use on any type of paint and/or new cars. I highly recommend it. Laters.

BillNorth
10-28-2001, 09:07 PM
AIO is a great product. I never knew how good it was until I used it for the first time. Listen to Don and Brad. They are the Klasse gurus. You should have no problems at all.

Tucson buffer
03-24-2010, 08:53 PM
This might be common knowledge by many, but this question has been floating around in the back of my poor tired brain for sometime. After a year of great advice on this fourm, and trying that advice and products on various cars, the question is "What is it that I`m really polishing or correcting?"...Clear coat or paint:confused: And if it`s Clear coat, What is it that I`m correcting or polishing????

gmblack3
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Clear coat unless the paint is single stage (no clearcoat)

You are leveling the clearcoat making it flat, prior to leveling the clear coat had many scratches, ect that distorted the view of the surface.

Todd has some nice illustrations around here somewhere.

imported_Luster
03-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Clearcoat IS paint... it`s just clear paint. (has no pigment in it.)

imported_jaredpointer
03-25-2010, 08:17 AM
I`ve read (and tend to belive, based on my limited experiences) that the "what" you`re "correcting" is the edges of scratches and marring. While many times, you can probably lower the surrounding clear to the valley-point of very superficial marring, lots of the times you`re rounding the edges surrounding this valley. That causes the defect to "go away" - meaning that the light doesn`t reflect off the sharp edges anymore, and you don`t see it anymore. Essentially, as Bryan mentioned above, you`re trying to get the topmost surface of the paint as flat/level as you possibly can so that light (i.e. reflections) are not distorted by the unevenness of the surface defects.

In a nutshell, you don`t actually "remove" marring, you remove surrounding "good" paint to get as close/uniform to the defect bottom as possible.