PDA

View Full Version : Collinite leather and vinyl treatment

Pages : [1] 2 3

CJ from Granite Bay, CA
10-25-2001, 02:09 PM
Have you changed your air intake over to a K & N Air Intake System? Are you pleased with the results that were advertised? Currently thinking about changing my air intake system over to K & N. Looking for positive input before purchasing one.

FastHappy
10-25-2001, 05:01 PM
hey cj,

glad you posted this, i`ve been seriously considering a K&N air intake for my truck. it seems to be the first step in mods for increasing in power.

Bobby G
10-25-2001, 07:12 PM
A K&N replacement filter alone will not do much to increase power. If you can find a K&N intake system, especially if it uses a cone filter, and a chip upgrade, you can expect some power increase.

The K&N filter will flow more air, but the engine needs to be able to take advantage of it.

corvettez
10-27-2001, 11:21 AM
I have a K&N cone filter in my car with the air intake piping modified as well as an upgraded ECU, (a.k.a. "chipped") I did the chip first and drove it that way for a while. When I upgraded the air intake and filter I believe they complimented each other in terms of the engine breathing better and being able to take advantage of the increase in available power, sort of like what David said. I also did a cat back exhaust which tied it all together. What I didn`t do but should have was done individual dynos to get positive facts per step but I only did a before and after the three upgrades. If you are not sure about the cone then go with a drop in panel filter, it comes with a million mile warranty which could mean you would never have to buy another one;)

mikeg
10-27-2001, 12:53 PM
It really depends on how restrictive you stock intake is. Also allot of time they only add power on the top end. Meaning you will only feel the power at higher RPM`s. If you get the cone type without an airbox on hot days it may feel sluggish until you get moving. Most stock intakes if not all have a air box, but the cone type sometimes does away with the airbox making it great for the drag strip but I`m typically just driving to work :) If you get one be sure to get an airbox along with the cone filter. Also most aftermarket intakes really amplify the car`s sounds under the hood for some reason. That can be good or bad depending how you look at it.

Lowejackson
10-30-2001, 07:41 AM
At the most basic level, engine power is about getting air in and gasses out. The K&N will allow a little bit greater air flow but it is worth looking at your exhaust system as well.

TTSUPRA is correct, the power increase is at the top end because as the gasses speed up and restrictions in the system show up. But it is not a big thing, you may get a few extra HP from a filter alone assuming the filter is the main restriction in the air intake system (not always the case).

Induction noise will increase, some like it, to others it can be tiring, especially on long journeys.

Steven

Alfa 164 (with K&N)

DETAILKING
10-30-2001, 08:38 AM
The claimed 20 HP at the rear wheels. It made a difference, but nothing that was night and day. Most of all, it increased throttle response. It is a good start and necessary to debottle neck stock intake filters. The best kind have the large conical filters, they allow the most air flow. I would also recommend an aftermarket exhaust....that will be freer flowing. After all, what comes in, must go out!

FastHappy
10-30-2001, 02:43 PM
thanks for the responses,

i was thinking that it would be a good place to start as dk said. i`ve considered doing some mods to the exhaust as well. the only thing is that i don`t want to make my truck really loud. on a sports car the change in sound with exhaust mods sounds better (imho) but on a large truck... what would you guys recommend for the exhaust that wouldn`t make my truck so loud i`d be waking up the neighbors in the morning.

Lowejackson
10-30-2001, 02:52 PM
A free flow exhaust will be louder compared to a OEM, but it should not be that loud. For example I had a Supersprint exhaust system which did change the tone but was only slightly louder than the original system, it was worth about 5-8 HP more at max revs. I used a K&N air panel, so all things been equal I probably got about 10-12 more BHP.

For me this was ok, as I used to do a lot of motorway driving and did not want a loud droning whilst driving.

Steven

Alfa 164

DETAILKING
10-30-2001, 04:16 PM
I like BORLA exhausts. The truck line up will not make your truck obnoxiouly loud, but will deepen the tone and make it more throaty. THey are made of Stainless steel and have a million mile warranty. Check out the website, and see what they have for your model truck. They might even have dyno tests to see what kind of HP increases you can get. Intake and exhaust are the way to go for a start. I wouldn`t do one without the other. The next step is a chip.

DETAILKING

FastHappy
10-30-2001, 04:44 PM
hey dk,

it`s a 98` gmc sierra 4x4 z71 w/extended cab. i know that it will never be a high performance vehicle but i had a new gmc z71 spank my truck pretty good the other day (and i don`t even know if he knew he was in a race or not, hehehe) and got me to thinking about adding a few hps. i`ve thought about moding the exhaust really ever since i`ve had the truck, just never have broke down and done it. i`ll check out borla and see what they have. with a truck there is a fine line between adding mods and making sound good and adding mods and making it sound redneck, especially if you just so happen to live in KY;)

corvettez
10-31-2001, 05:35 AM
Snake

You might want to consider or look at Flowmaster, they might make something better suited for truck applications. While not wanting to make it too loud you don`t want it to have a high exhaust note either, a resignated tip will remove the higher pitched notes.

FastHappy
10-31-2001, 08:21 AM
v85097,

thanks i`ll give them look as well.

Lemonxxs
11-02-2001, 09:50 AM
Do these new air intake systems and exhausts void factory warranties?

:confused:

Lowejackson
11-02-2001, 10:16 AM
Generally they should not void any warranty but there could be implications for informing your insurance company as they may see it as a modification to the car. When I made these changes my insurance company made no change to my premiums they said they were more interested in things liked turbos or expensive looking wheels which could increase the chances of a theft.

As I am in the UK, the insurance may be very different but I assume that at a basic level they operate the same way.

Steven

Alfa 164