PDA

View Full Version : mercury mountaineer 98

imported_Gary
10-24-2001, 02:35 PM
I`m a new member here, and I have learned quite bit about detailing by looking through the archives. I have recently ordered products from Zaino and would like to know if it is advisable to Zaino the following areas on a 2000 323i:

1)black plastic trim on the bumpers and around the windows

2)black painted metal trim between the windows

3)is it okay for zaino to get on the exterior rubber window seals.

If I do zaino the above areas should I use Z1 before Z2 on them? If Zainoed do these areas no longer need a protectant such as 303?

DETAILKING
10-24-2001, 02:44 PM
I wouldn`t use zaino on the black plastic area`s on the bumper. The only place I use it that you mentioned was on the shadowline trim around the windows (not the rubber, the hard plastic stuff) and in between the windows. Use 303 or Zaino Z16 on all the black trim, side trim, and window and bumper trim. It`s a lot of work, but looks awesome when it is done.

If you get zaino on those areas because of sloppy application, it should buff right off with out staining it.

What color is your bimmer?

imported_Gary
10-24-2001, 03:18 PM
It`s steel blue. I believe there are small water spots on the trunk, top, and hood. I plan on removing them by first claying, then vinegar, and lastly using a swirl mark remover if required. If they are still there I will most likely zaino over them for now and try to find a good pro to do the job in the future.

Thanks for the tips on zaino. I will also zaino the wheels.

vdubrick
10-24-2001, 03:20 PM
Hi DK,

didn`t wanna open a new thread regarding a Zaino question.

How long would Zaino take to dry in winter ? My car sleeps in a garage where the temp between 58 - 65F is.

Thanks in advance

Deckard

DETAILKING
10-24-2001, 03:25 PM
and it has dryed in an hour. Remember to go thin. If anything you can let it dry overnight.......

GARY---> Steel blue will look great with Zaino. I believe BW uses zaino on his SB BIMMER. Clay and vinegar should remove those water spots. I don`t think they will be problem. Also, remember to dawn wash the car to remove any wax that was on the car. Definately Zaino the wheels. Brake dust is BAD on Bimmers, and using the sealant on the wheels makes them easy to clean. Once they are zaino`ed don`t use any wheel cleaners, the dust should come off easy with a sponge (separate one from the one you use on your paint) and car wash.

Hope this helps......

DETAILKING

imported_Gary
10-24-2001, 03:43 PM
I guess he has not posted any. Did see some other zainoed cars that look great. I`m looking forward to receiving the zaino so I can get started.

rstype
10-24-2001, 06:13 PM
Zaino is a great choice for especially for metallic paint, particularily Steel Blue because it shows the metaillic "flakes" more clearly to make it shimmer and sparkle like no other color (well, almost) can.

I like to apply Z-1 with a dry cotton applicator and firm pressure, and Z-2 or Z-5 with a dry foam applicator with light pressure. Remove the dried product with 1/4 of a Charisma bath towel or Magic (a.k.a. YoSteve, Ultimate) towel. For me, the longer you leave the product, the better it is.

As for where to apply it, anything that is smooth and hard like the shadowline trim, side black trim (not the front or back textured trim), and tailights.

But stay away from all the cracks, and if you do get some stuck between, a soft toothbrush is fine.

Neeraj
10-24-2001, 08:45 PM
Mine is Steel Blue.

I`ve used Zaino from the start.

Brian

http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4155 (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4155`)

Glozz
10-25-2001, 11:16 PM
but, I have applied Zaino to the entire car. Black moldings, window moldings and have been very pleased with it`s effects on keeping the finish looking good. We have just had several days of very hard rain here in the Seattle area and the water just beads right off the surface of the car.

One thing I`ve noticed is that the black moldings along the door always look clean and hold no grit or water.

So my experiance is that it`s just fine to apply Zaino to any part of the car. I`ve followed my distibutors advice on this. If it`s incorrect then Sal Zaino can update his web site.

softoa
03-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello,

You`ll all understand when reading this that I don`t know much about cars/ trucks etc, only that I`ve enjoyed taking care of my own with the limited knowledge of hands on experience. My background is feeble when it comes to knowledge about autos. I `ll be doing cars, pick-ups here some hopefully this summer, and the pick up trucks here I see---have a grey colored or black colored lower material on bottom part of the doors like my Mountaineer has. I`ve always just washed, waxed that grey --maybe plastic part? BUt, I see there are plastic cleaners etc. Am I correct--I`d like to purchase something other than washing, waxing items for those lower half parts that aren`t painted? (grey in color) ? they aren`t chrome I know that. ha.!!! So, customers may notice a difference, other than just washing, waxing as I do mine? softoa..

imported_Flash Gordon
03-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Hello,

You`ll all understand when reading this that I don`t know much about cars/ trucks etc, only that I`ve enjoyed taking care of my own with the limited knowledge of hands on experience. My background is feeble when it comes to knowledge about autos. I `ll be doing cars, pick-ups here some hopefully this summer, and the pick up trucks here I see---have a grey colored or black colored lower material on bottom part of the doors like my Mountaineer has. I`ve always just washed, waxed that grey --maybe plastic part? BUt, I see there are plastic cleaners etc. Am I correct--I`d like to purchase something other than washing, waxing items for those lower half parts that aren`t painted? (grey in color) ? they aren`t chrome I know that. ha.!!! So, customers may notice a difference, other than just washing, waxing as I do mine? softoa..

If the area you describe is Painted then yes, wax it :smile:

If that area is that grey/black hard plastic Unpainted then just dress that area with a water based dressing. Apply using a loaded(drenched with dressing) microfiber towel Da Rules!

As far as a special cleaner for that area....No, just maybe clean the bottom section of the vehicle with a Dawn/APC mix to remove Tar/Grunge :judge:

Hope this helps :driving:

softoa
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM
I checked exterior car products to try and figure out what is meant by a water based dressing? Yes, it is a plastic exterior part , it is grey plastic part, unpainted.. The M. Mountaineer book inside SUV says to clean this plastic part with a vinyl cleaner? So, perhaps like 303 Aerospace Protectant?
Or---what is a water based dressing? softoa..