PDA

View Full Version : farm pick up trucks

Pages : [1] 2 3

hot rod
10-23-2001, 01:19 PM
I am thinking of getting a PC. I have been seaching and reading about it. Makes me nervous I don`t know much about power buffers. I have seen the outcome of some jobs gone bad and it is scarry.

Again I know this is getting old but can someone point me to or list a complete set of pads needed to maintain my cars?

Again thanks for putting up with a Newbie

cahlroach
10-23-2001, 01:55 PM
do a search for porter cable - there are tons of threads relating to the use of the PC. A couple years ago, when I first got mine, I volunteered to wax a friends car (several year old Taurus - not well maintained) just to have the chance to practice. It wasn`t needed, the PC is pretty easy to use, but it increased my confidence.

hot rod
10-23-2001, 01:57 PM
Thanks

How do you like your S2000?

cahlroach
10-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Its not the fastest , or the most expensive car I have owned, but it is, by far the most fun. It`s hard not to have a big stupid grin on your face when you are driving it.

rmccall6
10-23-2001, 03:36 PM
Hey, if someone in the car next to you thinks you look stupid, at least you know you can burn them.:D

imported_Homer
10-23-2001, 04:27 PM
4mo, note that there are differences between direct-drive rotary buffers and random-orbit buffers.

The Porter Cable 7424 that everyone here refers to is a random orbit buffer. Basically, you can`t do a lot of damage to your surface with this tool. The buffer moves in random circles...not just one spot.

The DeWalt DW849, however, is a rotary. Rotaries spin in one spot only... this is probably what you`ve heard about and have seen horror stories about. Holding a rotary in one spot can certainly do a lot of damage quickly from the heat it generates in the spot.

With the PC7424...there`s not much to be afraid of. Rotaries however, practice on the in-laws` car first. ;)

Huy

Jngrbrdman
10-23-2001, 07:28 PM
Anyone know where to get the best price on one? I am looking for one in the $130 range if I can find one. I would really love to polish the hell out of my car and blind everyone driving by. Bwhahahahah! Not to mention just being able to get those swirl marks off without needing physical theropy after. :D

JasonC8301
10-23-2001, 07:34 PM
A good deal on the Porter Cable is at www.coastaltool.com or www.toolmart.com

For the rotary try www.harborfreight.com

For the PC, if you decide to get it, get the pad kit from www.properautocare.com DM-KIT

Jason

ihetenyi
10-23-2001, 08:04 PM
Don`t forget the 6 in counter weight from Coastal tools!

JonB
10-23-2001, 08:09 PM
And exchange the terry bonnets for the MF bonnets at CMA when you get the accessory kit.

H

BillNorth
10-23-2001, 08:53 PM
What is a counterweight? What is it`s purpose? Do you need it if you buy a pc? I`m re-examining my options, and may buy one. One of the big Canadian chains is selling them for $50 off if you buy before the end of the year.

Thanks guys.

imported_killerjg
10-23-2001, 09:49 PM
I am a new PC user, should have done it long ago.

My 6" (ah, counterweight that is) should be in any day.

LC

Cybercowboy
10-23-2001, 10:40 PM
Go to the coastaltools.com site and look up the PC 7424. They do an excellent job describing all the options available, including the counter weights.

ihetenyi
10-24-2001, 06:47 AM
Bill - the counterweight gives the orbital its random movement. The size of the weight usually corresponds to the size of the backing pad being used. Don`t think twice about getting the PC -- its a gem.

Steve

mrusso235@hotmail.com
10-24-2001, 07:36 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Jngrbrdman [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Anyone know where to get the best price on one? I am looking for one in the $130 range if I can find one. I would really love to polish the hell out of my car and blind everyone driving by. Bwhahahahah! Not to mention just being able to get those swirl marks off without needing physical theropy after. :D [/b]</blockquote>
I have one brand new still in the box, never been used, $ 80.00.
MPYeatman@aol.com (``).