PDA

View Full Version : Full moon? or just a-holes on the loose?

dtraylor
10-22-2001, 08:38 PM
Hi all!

Heres some things I would like to know:

Where can I get Meguiars Gold Class wax at? I detailed one of my friends` Intrigue Saturday and was going to use a can old Gold Class he happened to have, but I opened the can up and little flakes of rust were all down in the wax. So I wound up and waxed his car with some Mothers carnauba cleaner wax and that produced some nice results. I cleaned all the rust junk out of the can and I got some Meguiars cleaner wax yesterday. I cleaned off the rear quarter panel yesterday and went over it with the cleaner wax, and followed it up with the Gold Class, and I was pleased with the results. The can is nearing empty and I wanted to pick up some more. I`ve heard you can get most of the stuff locally, but Walmarts dont have any around here, but the Super Wal/K-marts might have some. BTW, I made that Intrigue look really good, IMHO :) It seems pretty sure of itself cruising at about 80 mph too ;)

I`m going to detail one of my other buddies car tomorrow. Which wax do you think I should use? The Mothers or Meguiars? I`m thinking Meguiars.

My other question is about 3M products. I seen in Walmart the other day the rubbing compound and this other things, made for light scratches and swirls. Are these any good?

Thanks for the help,

Grant

vettefan67
10-22-2001, 09:07 PM
Hey, Bump. A few answers:

Meguiars` stuff is available just about everywhere around here. It`s just about as common as Turtle Wax, every store with an automotive section has it. Try your local auto parts store if you haven`t already, check K-Mart, wherever else you`ve had luck with other supplies already. I can`t speak for a particular product between Mothers and Meguiars waxes but I know Meguiars seems to be regarded more highly than the Mothers stuff.

Check out this thread (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3856`) for info on general surface prep etc. Good products to use are 3M SMR (Swirl Mark remover, least abrasive) and FI-II (Finesse-It II, more abrasive). Start with the least abrasive and work up if need be. Look here (`http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry17c?sp=10007&cid=0&sid=28181&pn=16&pid=37836&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0`) for more info on distinguishing the 3m products.

peace,
puterbum

Andre'
10-22-2001, 10:12 PM
I would go with the Meguiar`s to. If you`r going with Meguiar`s you should try the #26 HI-TECH wax , i`ve had good results with it in the past.

Cybercowboy
10-22-2001, 10:28 PM
#26 works great on a nice clean finish. Don`t use as a cleaner wax or you will be sadly - uh - well, you will see sealed in stuff for awhile. Mother`s makes one product better than Meguiar`s that I know of - clay.

Don2000g
10-27-2001, 06:46 PM
Totally agree with Andre. As for the 3m products, they are pretty good. I`m a big fan of 3M Finesse It 2

Junebug
03-18-2010, 07:45 PM
OK, so I`m watching Tru TV`s "The World`s Dumbest", and reading TID and autopia, so JB - what`s all this got in common? Well, seems both Forums have had a candidate for "World`s Dumbest wannabe detailer" They just banned some jerk wad called thomasC and I see mr bill just got the boot here.

I`m telling ya`ll, we`re seeing the shallow end of the gene pool.

Old Pirate
03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Full Moon .......................

imported_Luster
03-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Full Moon + Springtime.:out:

grungy
03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
:iagree: +1 on Bill`s comments

RustyBumper
03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Who`s Mister Bill? ThomasC?