PDA

View Full Version : wash and dry car windows?

Pages : [1] 2

bmerjorge21
10-21-2001, 09:41 PM
I went to visit a friend today, and when I pulled up to her house I noticed a guy with a Porter Cable random orbit sander, who I thought was using it as some kind of polisher. Turns out the guy is SANDING off the paint of his late 80`s VW Golf!!:eek: Yeah, the maroon paint was slightly faded, but it could`ve been saved. My question is, is this a wise idea. I cringed at the notion that the car would probably be spray-painted after being sanded. A tragedy in the making in my opinion. What do you think??

bmerjorge21
10-21-2001, 09:48 PM
Actually, I just remembered that the guy`s nickname is "Pill" referring to his drug-use. So, in a way I think I may have answered my own question. Also, this is yet another example of how drugs affects one`s judgement/decision-making abilities!!!:mad:

JasonC8301
10-21-2001, 11:32 PM
to use drugs.

But hey you never know, "Pill" can be a pro painter and make the car ready for show.

Then again maybe no...

YoSteve
10-21-2001, 11:39 PM
Hope that guy knows that the "pill" won`t work on him :D

My friend is painting his car at another friend`s dad`s shop on his own. His car was grey sanded primer on it, the rough finish got him out of a speeding ticket (all he saw was the cop shake the detector, as if it weren`t working) haha

imported_doug
10-21-2001, 11:49 PM
It is normal to sand old paint before applying new paint, isn`t it? Orbitals offer the same advantage for sanding they do for polishing - good even work, less chance of burning through too far.

I think it is perfectly reasonable.

bmerjorge21
10-22-2001, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys!! Jason, I assure you it won`t be a show quality job, it will definitely be spray-painted!!:mad:

softoa
03-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Hello, Am wondering if folks use dish soap and water inside and outside on the glass-- or a window cleaner, that sprays on --and then to dry---do you use any particular method--i.e. paper towels, mf towels, squeegies? I get like streaks with paper towels in circular motion? Anyone know how to dry to avoid those streaks so the glass isn`t streaked?

imported_Luster
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Welcome to TID!!! A great place to get answers.

My favorite glass cleaner is Sprayway Glass Cleaner. It comes in an aerosol can and costs around $2 per can... lasts a long time too!

I spray on exterior glass and use vertical strokes with a clean, soft microfiber, then follow up with a completely dry microfiber and "buff" dry.

Next I repeat the procedure on the inside glass, only with horizontal strokes.

Finally, view the glass in direct sunlight. If there are any streaks, you`ll know whether they are on the inside or outside, by the direction they run...:drool5:

(I`ve never seen Sprayway streak!!!):D (I buy it at Ace Hardware)....;)

softoa
03-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Hurrah!!! That`s what I`ll be using this summer season and earlier hopefully.. And thanks for sharing the techniques you use to dry as well as what to dry glass with.. appreciate the words of wisdom from you folks.. softoa...

softoa
03-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Mr. Luster---by the way---that Corvette sure is a nice colored blue---Haven`t seen one that color ever on the road.. Congratulations for finding it for yourself.. softoa

imported_Bunky
03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I like Sprayway too but always use other brands.

imported_Mr. Clean
03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
sotoa, To avoid any possible confusion, the alternating horizontal/vertical wiping motions won`t by themselves eliminate streaking. The reason behind this is to help identify which side of the glass the streaking is on. Streaking can present not matter the process or the product. It will happen quite often on really hot days when the cleaner product dries too fast. On those occasions, work on smaller areas of glass at a time. Also having a number of clean towels on hand is helpful. Those towels should have been washed and dried w/o the use of fabric softeners, either liquid or dryer sheets. Those will also product streaking. For products there are numerous products which work fine for windows, just be sure to avoid those with ammonia as a component if you have aftermarket tinted windows. Some people follow their glass cleaner with plain water (or distilled) for a final wipe. For towels, I recommend buying a dozen or more of the blue huck towels. These are available via many of the janitorial supply companies.

imported_Luster
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Mr. Luster---by the way---that Corvette sure is a nice colored blue---Haven`t seen one that color ever on the road.. Congratulations for finding it for yourself.. softoa

It`s actually called "Medium Spiral Gray Metallic". It`s highly reflective and the blue sky really showed up well in that icon pic!

sotoa, To avoid any possible confusion, the alternating horizontal/vertical wiping motions won`t by themselves eliminate streaking. The reason behind this is to help identify which side of the glass the streaking is on. .

Absolutely correct.... It helps to know if the streaking is on the inside or outside.

Sprayway + Microfiber really does a good job of remaining streak-free.:cornut:

IDGAS
03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I like clean windows so clean them often. I seem to get he best results with a just a water dampened microfiber and dry with a clean microfiber. No cleaning spray at all.

softoa
03-17-2010, 08:21 PM
thanks everyone for the info. on wash/dry windows.. softoa