PDA

View Full Version : soft dashboards

Pages : [1] 2

hpjay
10-18-2001, 02:26 PM
Hello all, first time post. Need help:

I have a Blue Lexus IS300 about 4 months old and was driving down the highway when a large piece of cardboard landed on the hood (no chance to miss it without killing anyone) and I had some very fine scratches. I had a friend refer me to this board (he`s never posted) and said I should try some 3M Fine Cut, but I was scared it`d be too harsh so I bought SMR for dark cars. Well he recommended applying this with a foam pad (eagle one I belive, with the yellow handle-thing) and removing with one of his 3M detailing Microtexture? cloths and this is what the result was (scratches are gone, but): (Hope I post the picture right) We went front to back along the hood until it was real thin, then removed with the 3M cloth. I was wondering what I did wrong and what I should do to alleviate this. My friend has some PPCL and I`ve got a couple of the 3M products. I also wanted to know how to classify these marks.

Thanks,

Nick

Lemonxxs
10-18-2001, 04:44 PM
They look funny like you had un even pressure when appling the SMR. Do you have other picture angles of the hood?

But I suggest you read the Swirl Removing link on the Autopia website it has plenty of helpful hints and check back to this post I bet others will chime in with more.

JonB
10-18-2001, 05:08 PM
The PPCL is technically the next step. Its hard to tell from the picture though, it almost looks like rotary buffer marks. How did you use the SMR? Back and forth or circular pattern??

H

hpjay
10-18-2001, 05:54 PM
I just used the foam pad with my hand and I only went from front to back but it does seem that I may have made some arched motions accidentally. They are only easy to see in bright sunlight or late at night if a bright fluorescent light shines on it (apt. carwash port). Did I make swirls of my own or is there another name for these type of markings?

Nick

JonB
10-18-2001, 07:10 PM
Did you wash after the SMR or put any coating on? I had swirly marks (haze) that could only be seen in certain light just from using an MF Towel and some QD. They came off by washing the car. If they are real swirls in the paint, you will have to address them with possibly a PC or even a rotary buffer if they are really deep scratches.

H

Ron Ketcham
10-18-2001, 07:45 PM
1K plus clearcoats!

Have fun, it is not easy to deal with minor or major marring in these new clears.

Ketch

:(

hpjay
10-18-2001, 09:32 PM
Yes, I did wash before and after, at least that particular section. I`m worried I may have to get a PC like you said. Can this be caused from pressing too hard while applying the SMR? I didn`t think I was pressing too hard but the definition of light to medium pressure means different things to different people.

Nick

YoSteve
10-18-2001, 09:43 PM
Ron, I ascertain that this vehicle has the "new" clearcoat that does not "work" with the 3M system. But I thought you said this clear is harder than the previous ones. If this clear is harder, why does it mar the finest stuff we got? Maybe I interpretted this wrong from that other thread. Thanks Ron, Steve.

mink
03-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Anybody have a solution to dressing a dash on a rubberized type dashboard like a newer caddy. Everything I try leaves it blotchy looking! :banghead:

Todd@RUPES
03-13-2010, 09:27 AM
What have you tried?

In order to clean it I would use a very dilluted APC style cleaner, such as Meguiar`s APC 10:1 or Optimum Power Clean at 8-10:1.

Spray the cleaner on the towel and work in that wipe dry. The key to getting an even look on the dash it to get clean of anything that prevent it from setting up properly.

After the surface is clean pick a dressing that suits the look you are going for. I really like 1Z Tefenpfleger as it leaves a clean natural look. On the trick with the application is to use a foam (instead of microfiber) applicator and make sure that it is well primed. If the out edges are dry then can soak up the product on the outer edges of your swipes and create a blotchy apperance.

Some materials just don`t take well to dressings of any type however. :(

imported_Flash Gordon
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Those dash pads are not meant to be dressed. Alot of manufactures are moving in that direction

I personally never dress the upper portion of any dash. When the Sun hits the shine you can loose vision and in this litigious society something like that could come back to bight you in the backside

imported_Luster
03-13-2010, 12:07 PM
For most dashes I like to use 303 Protectant. It has a low-gloss, satin, factory-looking finish. It`s not shiny at all, so you don`t get sun-glare. You might want to do a small test patch and see if it works for you. (if not, it will wash off with soap and water)

Old Pirate
03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Those dash pads are not meant to be dressed. Alot of manufactures are moving in that direction

I personally never dress the upper portion of any dash. When the Sun hits the shine you can loose vision and in this litigious society something like that could come back to bight you in the backside

I agreed with Flash, a lot of manufactures are moving in that direction for a non-glare dash, which means no dressings to be put on them.

imported_Jokeman
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Meg`s Quik Interior Detailer. Leaves no shine but leaves a nice clean sheen.

imported_gewb
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Recently tried 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner - it is wonderful stuff. On first use I thought "what the...is this stuff doing anything?" then I realized the dash looked just like when I picked up the car new - no gloss, no shine, just "natural" - that`s when I knew the "other stuff" wasn`t the right stuff for a dash.

http://www.properautocare.com/eicopr.html

Regards,
GEWB