PDA

View Full Version : Need Product Advice?

Pages : [1] 2

Arthur Goodman
10-16-2001, 10:30 PM
Have you ever used (or would you ever recomend using) a `One Step` Cleaner / Wax ?

Also...A trick I read about in a previous post (I cant remember which Forum) was to apply some Ultra Glaze, working it into the buffer cloth first, then spreading the Wax on like buttering toast. (?)

Any thoughts on this `Cheater`method ?

Chris Mc 3

DETAILKING
10-17-2001, 07:33 AM
great condition, I use a product like liquid glass or NU FINISH as a one step. They clean the car nicely, give a decent shine, and have reasonable durability.

Brad B
10-17-2001, 07:43 AM
Nothing really "wrong" with a cleaner wax but most products designed to "do it all" are a compromise between speed and quality. The best finishes are obtained with a series of specialized products products that clean, repair and prep the surface. Many specialized waxes and sealants also offer better results than those with cleaners and abrasives in them.

BradE
10-17-2001, 08:58 AM
I all you want is a cleaner wax Meguiars cleaner is also O.K. But a good one step product is Klasse AIO. It cleans and protects in one step, but it protects with acrylic instead of wax so it lasts much longer.

mx5
10-17-2001, 10:27 AM
Liquid Glass cleans and protects with an acrylic and is usually available at most auto stores. It costs about $18 and a bottle lasts a while. Leaves a good shine and the protection lasts long. Klasse All in One is a little better product, costs about the same, but is available only online. Meguiars #20 polymer sealant has mild cleaners and leaves long lasting protection.

ALM
10-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Brad is right, Cleaner waxes are just `ok" products....designed for a non-enthusiast whom only waxes their car once or twice a year, even then there are better alternatives, such as Nufinish, Liquid Glass, or (the best) Klasse AIO, as a good wax will only last about 3 months under normal conditions.

If you want the job done right get a bottle of a 3M polish that suits your needs and then finish it off with the Klasse twins.

DETAILKING
10-17-2001, 11:23 AM
If you have a newer car and the paint is in good condition and clean, I would use Zaino (or klasse) even if you were only going to detail 2-3 times a year. If you wash weekly, the car will stay relatively clean, and you will get the best shine and protection as well.

If you have an older car that needs some sprucing up and do not want to prep it, and want a good one step, I would use the liquid glass, nufinish, a few times a year,etc,etc.

Waxman....just to clear some things up, Liquid glass is not an acrylic, it is a polydimethylsilicone polymer. Pretty old technology, but it does give decent results (cleaning, shine, and protection).

In my opinion, NU FINISH cleans the best. You can put it on thick and rub the hell out of the paint. AIO has a thinner consistancy and is applied in thin coats, and is harder to use as a "cleaner" per say.

mx5
10-17-2001, 01:28 PM
Okay Mr. High Tech big chemical word smarty paints. Acrylics, polymers, whats the difference? They both are better than waxes. :)

DETAILKING
10-17-2001, 02:34 PM
Everyone always says....."I want to know what is in that!."

So........

dengelson
10-18-2001, 07:41 PM
I use Meguiar`s #6 Cleaner Wax (`http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=PP&SrcCat=4`) on the wife`s minivan. It`s comparitively easy and works well for one step. :up Plus I don`t think my wife would notice the difference between that and the whole enchilada paint treatment anyway. She`s happy that it looks nice and shiny and I`m happy that I can get it over with quickly and get back to detailing my car and motorcycles.

Ron Ketcham
10-18-2001, 08:36 PM
Let`s start the debate by this

Polydimethalsiloxane

vs

Polyaminosiloxane

Ready for this?

Then we can move forward to flurocarbon resins.

Then, and then?

Ok, next up to bat.

Ketch

:eek:

Arthur Goodman
10-19-2001, 12:15 AM
I Decided to go with the plain Meguiars Cleaner / Wax, although they did have the Meguiars # 6,but what I settled with should work just fine for what I need to do, right ?

Also got a pack of Cotton / Terry Sponge Aplicator Pads. 2 should be enough for one mid-size vehicle, right ?

This guy I`m working for tomarrow over-paid me by $20 last time...(Must have thought I did 5 cars instead of 4)...so I mainly just want to give him his $20 worth without giving him back his money, but its NOT worth going through usual the `3 Step Process`, as I dont think it needs it, and I`m quite sure he`ll be `Tickled Pink` in any case...mainly a `Promo` kind of deal.

Anyway...Thanks for all the help.

BTW...How much `Elbow Grease` do I put into

it...more pressure when applying cleaner / wax or while buffing it off...or the same ?

Chris Mc 3

ISLANDSBEST
10-20-2001, 12:50 AM
OK, Ron . . . no showing off! ;)

DETAILKING
10-20-2001, 12:08 PM
are silicone polymers. They are old technology and were used in the early synthetic formulas (astroshield, liquid glass,etc,etc). Now don`t confuse "old" with the notion that they are crap and don`t work. I never said that so let`s not start a debate. They work well, but there are better systems out there based on the latest polymer technology.

There are TONS of polymers out there and no one can know everything about all of them, but those 2 are very popular among the car care industry.....especially to old school detailers.

As for the fluorocarbon resins, well teflon is one of them, and they usually exibit inert properties. We all know about the teflon bonding issue stated by dupont back in the late 1980`s..........

Ron Ketcham
10-20-2001, 02:14 PM
A paint sealant product that we make for a couple of vehicle manufacturers was first formulated in 1980.

The present formula is generation 6, that is it has been updated with new technology 5 times. This is done as better resins are developed and proven.

We are presently preparing the launch of Generation 7 of the product.

What we are discussing is a more generic set of terms for the various resins, whether polydimethals, polyamino`s , flurotelamers, etc of which there are literally thousands of variations.

Ketch

:eek: