PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Jack`s World!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

YoSteve
10-16-2001, 09:09 AM
Okay so I never have to worry about dried bug guts on the front of my car cause I QD them off every time I drive back at night, in my garage.

But for everyone else, what do you use. Is there a specific bug and tar remover that works well (but then you have to rewax) or is it just use the QD and let it soak in no matter how long it`s been on there.

Thanks, Steve :)

andrew43
10-16-2001, 09:34 AM
Stoner`s Tarminator, Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover, and WD40 have never failed me if the guts are caked on.

mx5
10-16-2001, 10:53 AM
According to Ron Ketcham, a QD will only coat the dried bug guts or bird poop, not remove them totally. Then the next time the sun hits it, the guts or poop will just destroy the clear coat with acids. You must remove the guts with alchohol. The post is from late last week. Search for it. Very informative. I still wonder why he gives out this info for free. :confused:

edgewise
10-16-2001, 10:57 AM
Very few bugs in this part of the country (It always amazes my relatives when they visit from Minn. "Where are the bugs?" they ask.) However, if the car is well maintained, ie, waxed...I use Griots Speed Shine to remove them. A cotton towel and a spritz of Speed Shine takes them right off.

YoSteve
10-16-2001, 11:34 AM
okay that statment is true but how practical is it? , that`s why we have Klasse (not saying that it`s impervious) on are cars to help protect the paint

but do people that really go by all the "rules" rewax their car every day to make up for the bugs and crap on thier cars

there`s a difference between doing it right and reality. If I get the bugs and bird crap off every day the correct way, I`d have to wax every way the correct way. I guess I choose QDing bugs rather than removing them the correct way rather than having the wax taken off.

just some thoughts (not a flame), but we need to agree on a "compromise", otherwise we`d never even get to drive our cars.

So someone come up with a acid neutralizing QD soon :)

mx5
10-16-2001, 11:44 AM
The alchohol is used to bring the dried out bugs out of the clear. Once the bug has dried on the clear, it has eaten through your protection and some of the clear. Like I said in the post I was talking it about, it seems protectants for cars only protect against sun and water. wax or polymer. :(

YoSteve
10-16-2001, 11:50 AM
I recall that from your thread waxman, you`re correct.

acids are water soluble, you use enough water you can get dilution of the acid. I don`t know about the exact mechanisim of clear damage due directly from acids setlling in and then getting moist and hot and eating your paint. If you can wash away the acid before they contaminate the paint, that would be best, I guess. So maybe rewashing is all you need.

Brad B
10-16-2001, 02:06 PM
I use a QD, specifically Meguiars FI for it`s lubricity, to remove the bugs. I don`t doubt Ron K`s answer, but have never experienced any degradion of the surface coat in the years I have used this process.

imported_doug
10-16-2001, 04:01 PM
I have to 2nd Brad`s experience. I try to remove bug guts and bird poop as soon as humanly possible, and I carry Meguiar`s FI in the car plus some Ultimate Wipes for this purpose.

I`ve never had any problems surface later. The only problems I`ve had have been there from the stuff I didn`t get off soon enough.

pingiii
10-16-2001, 04:20 PM
I think if you try to get them off right away, you can use various products, and they will work.

I have been using a 50% water/alcohol spritz on the bugs as soon as I get home at night. I let it sit while I get the mail and put my working gear away. After about 15 or 20 minutes, I go out and respritz and wipe the bugs off the front of my vehicle.

I then QD the front of my vehicle in the morning, or if needed the whole vehicle.

I have found no damage to the clear and by keeping your vehicle sealed or waxed, I have found that the bugs come off rather easily.

I also agree about carrying QD in your vehicle for emergencies. I carry an 8 oz. bottle of QD and a couple of cotton towels in the glove compartment for just such an emergency. I think the secret is to get at the bug stains ASAP. Enjoy!

99323ic
10-16-2001, 06:34 PM
I`m with Brad, but have found Megiaur`s Quick Detail Spray to be my magic elixar (although I believe the product he mentions is almost, if not exactly, the same thing marketed differently).

Correction, the difference is that the QD spray contains silicones (but not any carnauba) and the FI/#34 contains no silicones nor carnauba.

I`ll need to get a bottle of the FI/#34 before I re-Klassefy my dub!

Lemonxxs
10-16-2001, 07:36 PM
Come down south for LOVE BUG season. Nasty and stinky. Can cover your whole windshield in a few minutes and then you are blind. I just go to a pressure washer and use water to remove as much as possible. Then go home and wash with car shampoo. IF any remaining I will then use TW bug and tar per directions.

For just a few bugs I use water on a MT and then use QD on another MT after I have done the whole vehicle. IF they do not come off easy I them just wash that portion of the vehicle, dry etc.

They say it will get in the 40`s here tomorrow. Hey Steve take your weather back please! LOL

DAC17
10-16-2001, 07:37 PM
Try this. Rub some Crisco on the dried guts. Place a kleenex over the Crisco to keep it there. Wait overnight, wash off the bug guts with regular car wash soap. This works best at temps above 70 F.

Dave

JonB
10-16-2001, 09:39 PM
Driving thru a swarm of Love Bugs is like driving thru a blinding rainstorm. It sounds like a machine gun is blasting your windshield and you have instant mess that will snap your wipers off if you are stupid enough to use them to smear that mess around! If you don`t get them off your car immediately, it`s good-bye paint job!

During my biking days, I was smart enough to use a windshield during Love Bug season. One of the biker chicks wasn`t so smart. She walked into the bar we stopped at and was covered from head to toe in Love Bugs....she even had them stuck in her teeth! I offered her some QD but she refused.... Now thats a tuff chick!!!

H :cool:

Cybercowboy
10-16-2001, 11:11 PM
Anyway, that`s what my wife drove home with today all freakin` over her car. It was bad - maybe 40 loads. I had just got finished washing the vette after several days of crummy weather and was putting away the stuff. I immediately fired the hose back up and sprayed her car down before she could get the groceries out of it.

When I quizzed her about the poop, she plead ignorant. Then she said "It wasn`t like I was holding a pidgeon over the hood while squeezing it!" I said it sure looked like it. Then we washed her car. No visible damage, no harm, no foul (get it!)...

Oh well, amost beddy-bye time. :rolleyes: