PDA

View Full Version : Odd question maybe?

Bluedog
10-15-2001, 10:38 PM
i just wanted to make sure im doing this right being the first time im using zaino. my situation is is that im only with my car on saturday mornings till sunday nights due to school. heres what im gona do:

1 - wash with my usual meguiars gold class shampoo

2 - use mothers clay bar

3 - use pinnacle paintworks cleansing lotion just to make the surface nicer

4 - wash again with dawn

5 - apply Z1 and immidiately apply Z5 after i have covered teh car in Z1

6 - wait about 6 hours and buff off ( i live in cali so not much humidity and temps are around 80s average now)

7 - use Z6 and wipe off immediately

8 - wait 24 hrs from when i removed the z1 and Z5 layer and apply another Z5 (im pretty sure i need more than one layer)

9 - wait about 6 hours and remove again then apply z6 again and remove.

this is all i can do for the two days i have each week. then next week, i wash again with Meguiars and repeat with Z5s and Z6s till i reach satisfactory swirl free finish. then i use Z2 a few times following the same process i used earlier.

one of the big question i have is that should i use Meguiars gold class wash when i come back on weekends? i know it has some kind of oils in it thats good for the meguairs wax but im not sure if its good for zaino.

also, if i park indoors AND have a decent breathable car cover on. u think i can just skip the washing when i come back and just use Z6 to clean up a bit before i start using Z5s and Z2s?

sorry for such a long post. hope those who endured all the way here can help me out:D thanks in advance!

Langley Interior Car Kare
10-15-2001, 11:18 PM
too bad you only have that short a time...i like to wait about 24 hrs after the Z5/Z2 to put the Z6 on...but you dont have too...just personal preference i got from cybercowboy and DK...and it looked great.....

also,,,,you dont need a whole big wash....with the cover.....give it one of those qd washes....i dont mean with a quik detailer..i mean....a bucket of warm water....and 2 MF towels.....use i Mf towel to clean>>>only in one direction with the wiping!!!<<<...and then dry with the other MF.....that should get off any dust you have....but be careful...only with the 1 direction so you dont scratch up the Z5.....also...

try with the Z6 after each Z5...and right before and after more Z5/Z2....IMHO...good luck....lots of Zaino stuff on here....and you can always call/email Sal...he writes back quik!!!...

ps...if its 80 and sunny i dont think it`ll take 6 hrs to cure up...Zaino is put on really thin...and drys quik,,,,

imported_doug
10-15-2001, 11:49 PM
You have the steps right. You can skip the Dawn wash - by the time you`ve gone over the car with a cleaner there is nothing left on the paint that Zaino would object to.

Meguiar`s Gold Class wash is what I use - I really like it. I suspect pretty much any wash made for cars is OK - the main goal is to get away from products like Dawn that contain a lot of alkalai (I think?) that will strip your wax off. Another goal is a lot of suds - these act like lubricant and help carry the dirt away to minimize risk of scratching.

Bluedog
10-15-2001, 11:51 PM
so theres nothing wrong with the first few steps about claying and using the cleansing lotion? great:)

as for washing, i was afraid that i will get the weak coats i have on off from the wash since i can only apply about 2 coats of somthing per week. ill try the suggested warm water only method then.

i plan on using Z6 directly after i buffed the car from a coat of Z5 or Z2. then Z6 once again 24 hours later right before i put on a new coat of Z5 or Z2. that way ill still have it cure for a long time. just with the z6 kinda. and a fresh z6 before i apply a new coat of Z2 or 6. sounds good right?

one more thing though. is it really safe to use meguiars gold class wash with zaino? since we want to get rid of all the oils and wax with dawn to begin with, im getting the idea oils arent good for zaino when it might be left on between coats of Z2 and 6s . and im 100% sure the gold class wash has some blend of oils thats healthy for the nautral clear coat and carnuba waxes...

maybe i should use a different shampoo? or am i just being over cautious?

andrew43
10-16-2001, 09:12 AM
I would actually wash with z7 or dawn AFTER the PPCL just to ensure there is no residue left from the product. You will NOT have to wait 6 hours to remove the z1/z5 combo if it isnt humid out. In my experience 30 - 60 minutes is more than enough if it is above 70 degrees out and dry. I wouldn`t put any z6 on until the next time you wash the car (which should be at least 24 hours later..preferably a week IMO). You will be able to easily remove the z1/z5 haze after it dries without having to worry about using z6 to help remove it.

BTW, the more I use z5, the less convinced I am that z2 is necessary! Z5 looks great and really does help hide all the swirls.

THe z7 wash is really good stuff, but I am sure the gold class (another great car wash solution) will work fine.

Good luck and make sure to post pics.

DETAILKING
10-16-2001, 11:36 AM
I feel that Z7 really works with the zanio system contributing to gloss and slickness with each wash. If anything, what ever wash you use, make sure it has no waxes in it, and always use Z6 just before applying a fresh coat of zaino. I think you will find that after a few coats, you will be happy with the way the car looks wash after wash instead of feeling the need to apply 2 coats a week of Z2/Z5.

Cybercowboy
10-16-2001, 10:10 PM
who has done one or two coats o` Z in his time...

First off - you really should wait about 4 hours minimum before using Z6 AFTER removing your Z. This allows the polymers in Z to finish crosslinking. Or at the very least results in the best shine. That has been my experience.

As far as Gold Class shampoo - go for it. Here is what I am doing now: Gold Class on my wife`s car, Z7 on the vette. Gold Class on the Expedition (when I wash it in a day or two.) I may bounce back to Z7 just prior to another coat of Z on these vehicles. Really, the Meguiars GC shampoo works very nicely.

One more trick, which I have reiterated a few times - sorry if this is a repeat performance for you... Immediately after removing your Z2 or Z5 (6 hours is way overdoing it - 1 hour is fine) take a nice ultra-suede MF towel (or even clean flannel) and gently buff the surface. Later, when you QD with Z6 you can use this same techique to touch up any smeary spots after using a regular MF or cotton towel first.

You have done plenty of homework, and you will be fine. Just remember - thin is in. That doesn`t mean that you should go homeopathic on it, just a consistent thin coat with back and forth strokes. I use foam mostly now. But what do I know...

Oh oh oh - I forgot (this is the edit!) Wait more than 24 hours between coats. Maybe 48 or even 72. You get better results, IMHO.

Bluedog
10-16-2001, 10:53 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Cybercowboy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>
You have done plenty of homework, and you will be fine. [/b]</blockquote>
hehe thanks alot for all the confirmations and extra reminders/tips! now i feel im truely ready for it this weekend. YUP, im starting this weekend folks! ur vett puts much more confidence in the Zaino products and makes me feel much assured of achieving great results! maybe being forced to only work on my car on weekends isnt as bad as i thought...
:)

DETAILKING
10-17-2001, 07:35 AM
Look`n good!

Walterb
03-10-2010, 06:24 AM
I have only read how to apply BFWD but not how to remove it. I will be doing by hand and know how to apply it, but is there any technique to taking it off? Or is it as simple as wipe with a MF towel?

RED JEWELL SS
03-10-2010, 07:13 AM
I have only read how to apply BFWD but not how to remove it. I will be doing by hand and know how to apply it, but is there any technique to taking it off? Or is it as simple as wipe with a MF towel?

Use a very soft m/f towel ,fold it into quarters, this will give you eight sides to remove the sealant.Its basicly just like removing wax,use the same technique.
Keep a nice clean surface on your towel ,keep an eye on it as you progress.

Look at Sweet Dreams thread "Audi R8" , look how David has his towels folded.
A perfect illustration for ya. :D

imported_Luster
03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Use a very soft m/f towel ,fold it into quarters, this will give you eight sides to remove the sealant.Its basicly just like removing wax,use the same technique.
Keep a nice clean surface on your towel ,keep an eye on it as you progress.

Look at Sweet Dreams thread "Audi R8" , look how David has his towels folded.
A perfect illustration for ya. :D

^^^ Exactly! A soft microfiber will wipe BFWD off very easily with almost no pressure. That`s one of the thing`s I like best about the product... easy on, easy off, no streaking ever.:biggrin:

bmw5541
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
+1
It is very easy to remove. Use all the suggestions mentioned above and you will be verh happy with the results.

Make sure to let us know how it came out.