PDA

View Full Version : Question on 1994 Corvette paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Bluedog
10-15-2001, 03:46 PM
im not interested in finding out what to use to wash rims but what to use after its ncie and clean and dry. something that will protect it like a wax... for rims:confused:

imported_Brad
10-15-2001, 03:53 PM
Treat the rims like paint. Sealants are more durable than carnuba based waxes. This will make them much easier to clean as well. I keep a cheaper sealant like Nu Finish around for this use.

Bluedog
10-15-2001, 04:27 PM
cool, i jsut read from yosteves site that i can use klasse on rims... i guess ill do that then:)

YoSteve
10-15-2001, 05:20 PM
After you put a bazillion layer of Klasse on your wheels spray a layer of Rain-X wheel protectant on clean wheel. It dries and puts a thick solid temporary layer (oil based) it stays there on your wheel all week. The dust sticks to this layer and lays on top of it. The next week when you wash your car, use a hand sponge and your favorite car shampoo and the brake dust slides right off (taking of the layer or rain-x wheel protectant with it) leaving the Klasse behind with it`s original shine, then you just spray more Rain-X on (and it works for up to three weeks)

But, I think the might have dicontinued this product (you can still find it in the stores, stock up!), I might have to start buying Sonax to replace this product I love.

Bluedog
10-15-2001, 05:28 PM
thanks for the tip! quick question, can i still use my MEguairs hot wheel cleaner? (i think its called). will it eat away my klasse layers?

YoSteve
10-15-2001, 05:40 PM
what did we say about treating you painted wheels like you paint on your car!! ;)

just use car shampoo on you wheels, unless you want to re-Klasse everytime.

it takes longer (and seems like a pain) to do your wheels this way, but Klasse takes longer than that.

Footy
10-16-2001, 10:52 PM
I recently bought a new set of rims, and they spent the first three days of their life being Klassified off the car.

I took my time, and applied 2xAIO and 3xKSG with 24 hours between each layer of KSG. Now that the wheels are on the car, the brake dust wipes off very easily using regular car-wash shampoo.

Cybercowboy
10-16-2001, 11:18 PM
You can use Z2 on your rims also (Z1 first), since you are going to use Zaino anyway. I wish I had the tenacity to take my wheels off but instead I endured bruised knuckles. The brake dust will come right off, though - well worth the effort. The hardest part is just doing it each time you do the rest of the car. I always have to get in the car and roll it back and forth a few times. What a PITA!

I truly treat them like the painted parts of my vehicles. That means - no more wheel cleaner!!!!

Andre'
10-17-2001, 01:45 AM
They`re all correct , treat the rims just like the paint.:cool:

ALM
10-17-2001, 11:24 AM
I use Klasse (AIO and SG), and it works great on my plastic rims.

DETAILKING
10-17-2001, 11:36 AM
Treat the clearcoated wheels like your paint. Except I would never put nu finish on my BMW paint, so I don`t use it on my wheels. If the wheels are stained, NU finish will do a good job cleaning them. For newer wheels, stick with the less harsh, non abrasive synthetics. The clear coat on your wheels, is often thinner than the one on your car!! It takes such a small amount of product to coat the wheels, I doubt cost/usage would be an issue with any product.

ALM
10-17-2001, 11:48 AM
Use what you use on your paint on your rims, the amount of product needed to cover your rims in minimal, when compared to what you use on your body.

I can see the difference in shine when comparing a straight wax on my rims, as compared to Klasse AIO and SG, and Klasse twins are much better in terms of shine and durability, hands down.

Lemonxxs
10-17-2001, 09:01 PM
I understand treating wheels like a car finish but how do you clean them tires without getting some overspray or drips on the wheels?

DETAILKING
10-18-2001, 07:36 AM
But I have been using car wash suds and a brush to clean the tires at every wash so over spray is not a problem. Since I have been staying away from the goopy, silicone, slimy tire dressings, the tires are staying black and cleaner.

andrew43
10-18-2001, 08:47 AM
Speaking of tire dressing (sorry to go a little off-topic here), DK, I bought a bottle of the 2001 Turtle Wax Tire Gel the other day. I was surprised to find that on the bottle it claims the active ingredient is "Trilicone(tm)"!!

In any case, I used it and you were right...a non-greasy tire gel that works pretty good. My only complaint is that it is hard to spread evenly on a tire swipe...probably because it isnt as greasy as some of the other gels I have tried.