PDA

View Full Version : pad cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

ddbrook
10-12-2001, 05:36 PM
Does anybody know of tips/tricks or something to put on my tires to prevent a dog from peeing on my tires. It`s my buddies dog and everytime I go over to his place I usually have to end up washing my tires when I get home, not going over to my friends or doing something to his dog is not really and opition. So do I just have to get used to washing my tires when I get home or is there some secret that you guys have??

Neeraj
10-12-2001, 06:46 PM
Try parking farther away.

Brian

Langley Interior Car Kare
10-12-2001, 08:16 PM
you should be aware that .....that simple of an answer....given on a first reponse to a new thread....well.....that could put me out of business here at autopia....i need to ramble on a little.....suggest something like....using a little barbed wire trench device first...or maybe....a guard dog of your own...to keep an eye on the tire.....bottom line....no friend is worth this disrespect....a dog is an extension of its owner and therefore....the friendship is over....

JonB
10-12-2001, 10:03 PM
The guard dog approach is a valid one that I myself have used..

H

01GTCOUPE
10-12-2001, 10:09 PM
After watching countless dog training classes and learning what it takes to get a dog an obedience title, I know there is a solution here.

1. Get a six pack and give fido a full bowl of water.

2. Park your car in the dog`s favorite spot.

3. Sit on the porch where you can watch it all.

4. Get your key fob and be ready to hit the alarm.

5. As soon as the chap lifts his leg, wail on the alarm!

6. Do this as often as possible to negative condition the mutt.

7. When the dog lifts his leg elsewhere, give him a praise, and maybe a beer.

Hints:

a. If you don`t have a key fob alarm, get a can of compressed air.

b. Don`t punish the dog, condition it. Make it wary of the CAR. Like the car is the bad guy, not YOU.

c. Don`t enjoy the six pack too fast or you may beat the dog to his own trick!

d. If the dog does it to your car, others must be `pissed` as well. So your friend should be willing to entertain your interest, in everyones` behalf.

Good Luck.

Neeraj
10-12-2001, 10:15 PM
I was not joking about parking further away. That was the only answer I had.

Most of my friends do not understand the care I take with my car, and I usually take that into consideration.

Like when we wen to lunch last week, they tried to take my antennae off. They are not malicious and think they are making a joke.

So in the future, I`ll just park farther away, so they won`t feel like walking all that way to pull a fast one.

Brian

YoSteve
10-13-2001, 12:55 AM
I was going to say the same thing about parking further, or having another car park before yours, but didn`t cause I figured I`d come up with a better solution later.

didn`t get much, but here`s what I got :D :

get fake fire hydrant and set it a little ways from your car :D

you take a leak on your tires and mark your territory before the dog does (that dog must have good taste in cars) if you`re really talented you can start and stop 4 times (or run around) :D.

smack the dog everytimes it does this, dogs learn

good luck

Scottwax
10-13-2001, 01:29 AM
Next time your friend`s dog pees on your wheels, make your friend clean it up. Either he will stop inviting you over or train his dog to stop peeing on your wheels.

I have a customer whose Choclate Lab and Rotweiler would piss on my wheels. Every time they got close, I would loudly yell, "NO" and they finally figured it out. Now, I am the only one who goes to their house and doesn`t get dog piss on my tires. When they even get close to my car, I stare them down and they slink away.

imported_Termigator
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
what do you use to clean your pads? Right now, I`m using Dawn detergent and /or Snappy to clean the pads. I have no problems with removing polish from the pads, but removing sealants and waxes are a bear.

imported_Flash Gordon
03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
what do you use to clean your pads? Right now, I`m using Dawn detergent and /or Snappy to clean the pads. I have no problems with removing polish from the pads, but removing sealants and waxes are a bear.

There are a few different threads here on pad cleaning. I would give you a link, but then I would be breaking the rules :Boxing:

I personally dump mine in a bucket of hot water with straight APC mixed. I have never measured the ratio factor. I just eyeball it :Snowman:

Let them sit in there for about an hour or so. Then while there being baptised hold them down and workum over real good with your fingers. Pull them out and rinse thouroghly. Put them on the rotary to spin dry and then hang them in the Sun to finish drying :soldier:

imported_Termigator
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
That`s what I do now. I have even let them sit for a few days on occasions because I wasn`t in the mood to tackle the situation. I remember somebody mentioning some kind of degreaser by Dawn that works really well. Can`t seem to remember the name.

Bluegrass Cat
03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I remember somebody mentioning some kind of degreaser by Dawn that works really well. Can`t seem to remember the name.

I think you mean Dawn Power Dissolver. It works great for pads that just won`t come clean. When first washing pads, I do similar to what someone mentioned above. Fill a bucket with hot water and then use either Dawn or APC (haven`t decided which I like better). I will massage the pads quite a bit and that will get most of the junk out of the pads and then ring the solution out of the pads. Then I dump the dirty solution into the toilet, rinse the bucket a little then fill up with hot water with Dawn or APC again and this time let them soak for atleast a half hour. I then massage the pads again and generally this will finish the job and I can then rinse the pads and spin them on a rotary and dry them in the sun or in front of a blower I use to dry carpets after shampooing and rinsing them.

In the few cases where the pads still need cleaning after the half hour soak job, I then reach for the Power Dissolver. That is some powerful stuff, you may want to wear gloves, it can really dry your hands out. After the pads have soaked in the bucket of Dawn or APC solution and I have ringed them out and I see they need need Power Dissolver, I will spray the Power Dissolver on the pads and work it in with my fingers and let it set for about twenty minutes. After the twenty minutes, I will rinse the Power Dissolver out of the pads with warm water in the sink. No matter how much I rinse my pads I can never get the strong smell of Power Dissolver out of my pads so I will make up a warm bucket of water with Dawn or APC and wash the pads one more time which will get the smell out.

Alot of work but it will get any pads clean.

Deep Gloss
03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I spray on Megs super degreaser once the pad is done with for the session

I let it sit on a towel faced down (velcro side up) until I am done for the night. I then continously rinse until water that comes out is clean

imported_Termigator
03-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I think you mean Dawn Power Dissolver. It works great for pads that just won`t come clean. When first washing pads, I do similar to what someone mentioned above. Fill a bucket with hot water and then use either Dawn or APC (haven`t decided which I like better). I will massage the pads quite a bit and that will get most of the junk out of the pads and then ring the solution out of the pads. Then I dump the dirty solution into the toilet, rinse the bucket a little then fill up with hot water with Dawn or APC again and this time let them soak for atleast a half hour. I then massage the pads again and generally this will finish the job and I can then rinse the pads and spin them on a rotary and dry them in the sun or in front of a blower I use to dry carpets after shampooing and rinsing them.

In the few cases where the pads still need cleaning after the half hour soak job, I then reach for the Power Dissolver. That is some powerful stuff, you may want to wear gloves, it can really dry your hands out. After the pads have soaked in the bucket of Dawn or APC solution and I have ringed them out and I see they need need Power Dissolver, I will spray the Power Dissolver on the pads and work it in with my fingers and let it set for about twenty minutes. After the twenty minutes, I will rinse the Power Dissolver out of the pads with warm water in the sink. No matter how much I rinse my pads I can never get the strong smell of Power Dissolver out of my pads so I will make up a warm bucket of water with Dawn or APC and wash the pads one more time which will get the smell out.

Alot of work but it will get any pads clean.

If it works, I`m all for it. Beats spending big bugs for the pad cleaner.

Old Pirate
03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Snappy Clean or Meg`s Super Degreaser for me.