PDA

View Full Version : what won`t scratch

Pages : [1] 2

imported_ONEFASTCL600
10-12-2001, 04:13 PM
Help. I`ve been thinking about getting a PC because I think it would make detailing my Tahoe much easier. However, I know very little about PC`s. Are there any old discussion threads you guys could point me to? Does anyone use a PC to apply AIO and how are the results? What would be the number one piece of advice/caution for a rookie? Is the one on the CMA site a good deal? Its a pretty big investment but I think it may be worth it for me. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

JonB
10-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Go with Coastaltool or Toolmart.....its much less expensive. You will need to get the accessory kit from CMA though. Ask to substitute the MF bonnets for the terry bonnets though.

The PC is super easy to use and will make detailing easier and you will get better results especially with polishing products like AIO, SMR and Finesse It stuff. I have mine for a couple of weeks and it is great, can`t believe I didn`t get it sooner! :up

H

01GTCOUPE
10-12-2001, 05:43 PM
Well, I just bought all of that today. I`m new to this and I`ve got to say that getting the finish I want by hand is just plain killing me. What can I say? I`ve got the cursed perfectionist syndrome.

The Porter Cable 7424 is the correct item#. When you go to order one, they know that it`s the exact one you`re looking for. I had one point of contention, however. The tool supplier says I`ll need a counterbalancer for the velcro head, but CMA says I didn`t need it. Well, $2 probably down the tubes.

I`m really looking forward to learning this craft and have a host of relatives` rides lined up to practice upon.

This forum has already been invaluable. Thanks, all. Mirror finish, here I come!

imported_doug
10-12-2001, 06:33 PM
I have a PC> I love it. I bought it because I was starting to have shoulder trouble with all the polishing. All better now :)

Be sure to get the Velcro backing plate, makes changing pads really convenient. Get a good supply of foam pads - the stiffer ones are for cleaning/polishing, the softer ones for waxing/buffing. Dedicate one to each compound you use. Beg, borrow or steal a Meguiar`s "Ultimate Bonnet" which is microfiber material made to fit over a buffing pad - you can buff out your entire wax job without changing the bonnet or pad and it works great. I think this is the single best innovation in years.

The orbital will apply your material more evenly and thinly, so you`ll use less and get better results. I`ve recently learned that using it with cleaners and swirl mark removers takes some practice and technique - long and short of it is: use moderate to heavy pressure - as the material starts to haze, reduce pressure. Continue to reduce pressure until you`re actually buffing it off. Works great!

http://hobbystage.com/porsche/greg/1000947652-000143.jpg

imported_gewb
10-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Got the pc7424 this past spring. Love it, recommend it, go for it! I bought the PC from Coastal and got the pad kit from CMA. There’s plenty of threads about it, Ripsnort just got one. AIO is great to apply with the PC. If you need to remove swirls or micro marring before AIO it does fantastic with finesse-it II and other polishes as well. My number one tip is if you feel uneasy about using it is do a friend’s or family member’s car first and you’ll feel like a pro afterwards and will be eager to do your car next.

Adam

imported_killerjg
10-12-2001, 09:49 PM
Just used mine for the first time last weekend, should have gotten one long ago! Love it.

http://www.1stoptoolshop.com/Prod.cfm?SubGroupID=61&CategoryID=1 (`http://www.1stoptoolshop.com/Prod.cfm?SubGroupID=61&CategoryID=1`)[/url]

Picked up my pads from Top of the Line. Do not need a counterbal. for velcro pad. Do not like the white pads from TOL, velcro and pad separated after 4 removals despite grasping the edges. The grey one is holding up fine, maybe I received a bad batch. I think I`d try CMAs.

Had ask the forum for other sources, no post so far.

LC

Glozz
10-12-2001, 10:13 PM
with mine. Just bought one a week ago. I took it to my wife`s dark blue 4Runner. The finish was in very poor condition. I used the following products with a "white" pad for each type:

#2 Fine-cut cleaner (one, two passes depending on surface condition)

followed by:

#9 Swirl Remover (one application needed per section)

followed by:

#7 Show Car Glaze (just on the hood of rig)

Each product was applied with a white screw-on pad. My local dealer gave me a good deal on a set of four!!!

I find that running the PC at around 4.5 to 5 will make removing scratches, contamination marks ect... very easy and effective.

After doing my cleaning and polishing I just sat and enjoyed the look of the finish. I was amazed as was my wife. I was fully rewarded for my hard work (but that`s another story :) )

After my finish was looking the way I wanted I washed the car with Dawn and then did a Zaino Z-1 and Z-2 application.

Bottom line: the Porter Cable 7424 is fantastic. I think any person should invest in one before jumping to a rotary buffer (not that they are bad)

Looks good in the garage as well!!!

Desertfox66
10-12-2001, 11:00 PM
I`ve had my 7424 for 2 weeks now and can`t believe I waited as long as I did to buy one. Fantastic machine! It made taking the scratches out of the minivan a breeze and the finish has never looked better. My 2000 Mitsu Eclipse is on the docket for this weekend; Perfect It 2 for a few light scratches, Klasse AIO followed by a few layers of Klasse SG. All that goes on so nice and easy with the PC.

t platz
10-13-2001, 12:00 AM
How does it do on vertical, small and/or rounded surfaces? You guys have got me drooling over this thing! :D

But how easy is it to use on, say, doors? I would think the angle would be a little odd...but wouldn`t make it any less effective.

But what about on irregularly shaped, somewhat small areas? Like, a front bumper, for example? Is it awkward to use in this kind of situation, or does it`s size make it essentially impossible to use? Here we go...real life question. I`m thinking about buying this car, which will require some serious TLC to get into the condition I want:

http://www.kingwoodcable.com/lordkelvin/front_top.jpg

http://www.kingwoodcable.com/lordkelvin/rear.jpg

How effective/easy to use would a PC7424 armed with Finesse-It II be on those rather large `rocco bumpers? :confused:

Just want to make sure I know what I`m getting into before I take a rather large plunge (for me...don`t have a job right now...all spending is discretionary). Also, methinks the scirocco bumpers would be much easier to do with a 7424 than my current car...a new VW Passat, which has a very rounded/contoured bumper.

TIA, you guys...

Gary

Glozz
10-13-2001, 01:58 PM
After doing my wife`s 4Runner with all the different angles and such, I am convinced that this is the way to go for all persons that want a nice finish on their cars, and don`t want to take the learning curve of a rotary buffer.

As for vertical use: it`s a breeze. I do doors from left to right and then follow with an up and down motion to finish. Be prepared to do a section several times to get the results you want, but you`ll be suprised at how fast each section can be done! Also found that running the unit at the speed range of 4.5 to 5 worked very well with Meguire`s "Mirror Glaze" products, but I can`t give you any info on how 3M products work at what speeds. My guess is that they work just fine, if not better.

Do yourself a favor and get a 7424, you`ll be very happy. Concider it a early XMas present to yourself :)

t platz
10-14-2001, 12:00 AM
Okay, I saw the car in person today, and it was swirl city, as expected. Some of `em looked pretty heavy, too. Still, I think I`m going to buy the car anyway...15 year old paint, all original...as far as I can tell, no touchups or refinishing, no overspray, no rust, etc. A few rough spots and stuff, but nothing too terrible.

Anyway, I`m hoping that with a PC (just about to give in!) and a few passes of Finesse It II, I`ll be able to get rid of the swirls, or at least seriously reduce them, and make the paint really shine.

But those bumpers are going to be even more difficult than I thought! They`re red plastic, and seriously faded. Is there anything I can do to get them looking tip-top again? The car has an entire body kit (factory) that has faded into kindof a pink color. I`ve got some Mother`s Back to Black...do you guys think that`ll help any (it says it`s not just for black plastic)? If not, is there anything else you guys recommend that I could use to get the plastic looking good before I seal it with Zaino?

If I do buy the car (which is pretty much my plan, as long as it gets a mechanic`s "blessing"), I`ll be sure to post before, during, and after pictures!

Thanks,

Gary

edgewise
10-14-2001, 06:46 AM
Related thread:
http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=3805 (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=3805`)

Get the counterweight (6 oz.) it will extend the life of the bearings, and its cheap insurance ($3.00)

imported_glfahlc
03-02-2010, 08:04 PM
i have a very soft clear coated bimmer that stays outside 24-7. whats the car cover i should look into that has the protection from the elements i want but won`t scratch it up everytime i remove it or put it on...

imported_Flash Gordon
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
i have a very soft clear coated bimmer that stays outside 24-7. whats the car cover i should look into that has the protection from the elements i want but won`t scratch it up everytime i remove it or put it on...

I don`t like car covers for use on a daily driver. If there is any dirt on the paint it will marr it up taking it on and off :soldier:

Jeff U
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I agree, I think you are better off without a car cover.

Think of what happens on a windy day. Even if the car is spotless when the cover went on, what happens if dirt, sand, or other debris get blown up from below and get between the cover and paint.

Add wind and you have a flapping cover .... sand paper.