PDA

View Full Version : Should I use soap when washing the car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kleanride
10-11-2001, 10:22 PM
Anybody start winterizing yet?? Any good tips to share with us Midwestern folks??!

Lemonxxs
10-11-2001, 10:36 PM
Whats Winter again? LOL

Langley Interior Car Kare
10-11-2001, 10:55 PM
got the great weather...all that crawfish stuff.....and Dan Fielding from night court....you got it all baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:D

mx5
10-12-2001, 06:21 AM
Yeah, Guess my Name really likes to show off the hot weather he lives in. :mad: I am surprised he hasn`t bragged about it being Britney Spears home state.

mx5
10-12-2001, 06:31 AM
I think anyone who lives in the Northern Midwest should forget about detailing in the winter. It has been cloudy or rainy 6 days out of the past seven up here. I have 4 coats of Klasse Sealant glaze on now. I don`t think I will get a chance to put a Blitz coat on anytime soon before it snows next week. Let`s hope the SG holds up until April. :mad:

ihetenyi
10-12-2001, 06:40 AM
Cinci has a pretty clean forecast for this Saturday so I will be doing my winterizing and addressing some small scratches. I won`t be doing anything revolutionary just applying some heavy duty protection.

Glozz
10-12-2001, 10:52 PM
Both car and 4Runner are ready to go. We will be lucky to have a spot of snow out here. It`s the rain that can get our cars. Rain, rain and more rain!

Zaino, no problem-O

YoSteve
10-13-2001, 12:49 AM
ah, britney :)

i`m going to use the PPCL to strip my old wax and redo my Klasse this weekend or next in prep. for winter.

Leadfootluke
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I think I know the answer, but this popped up on another forum and I was questioning it. The guy who wrote up the How-to-Detail your ride thread mentioned this.

Soap is absolutely unnecessary if you maintain the level of cleanliness. The wax should do the job of keeping the car clean and easy to work with.

He followed it up by saying to wash your car with soap before applying a base of Wax. But after the wax [NXT2.0], even if your car is dirty, just spray the contaminates off and dry it with a cotton towel.

The following reply from another member was:

water and the softest towels u can find & no soap!,,,thats wat I always do..good write-up!

And when I asked if he could explain why soap is not good for your car, his reply was:

it washes off the clear coat and wax over time..think of your car as your face...would you put all that crap(harsh detergents and soaps) on your face?..I wouldnt...just water and the softest towels..

I know it probably isn`t worth my time to reply, but I can`t imagine washing a dirty vehicle, even if it has wax on it, with just water and a cotton towel.

Strokin04
03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
So the guy doesn`t use soap to wash his face, GROSS!!! I wouldn?t take advice on washing a car from a person with such poor hygiene.

gmblack3
03-01-2010, 05:13 PM
There is so much misinformation out there, but you came to the right place for the best info.

1. Doing what that hack recommended will do nothing but scratch your clearcoat.

2. Car wash soap will not wear away your clearcoat.

3. Car wash soap will wear away your wax. Use a sealant like blackfire wet diamond that will last longer then most waxes.

4. Car wash soap acts as a lubricant when washing your car. It also helps to break down the dirt.

5. Use the 2 bucket method (2BM) when washing.

Leadfootluke
03-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I know Bryan ;)

Just posting what I read on another forum.

I am working with another guy to write up a proper way to wash a vehicle to get stickied by the admins. It`s a non-detailing oriented forum.

Old Pirate
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Wow, what is out there is my worry when some folks post something like that and some poor fellow follows the poor advice this person posted.

Leadfootluke
03-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow, what is out there is my worry when some folks post something like that and some poor fellow follows the poor advice this person posted.

The benefit of the doubt would assume that he has his paint corrected to perfection with some hardcore protection, and it never gets bad enough to require anything but a "rinse." Even so, at no point, even if it isn`t dirty, would I wash it with water and towel try. I would link the post, but I don`t think it would be conducive for him. I just think no soap, even no car soap, is an obscene idea.

bmw5541
03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I believe, what he is recommending is called a "Dry Wash", and is performed by some dealerships who try to take short cuts. This is a prime example oof how to marr your paint`s finnish.

This is the reason that I keep comming back to TID. There in no bad information here.