PDA

View Full Version : From Missouri

Freeman
10-10-2001, 08:40 PM
I need some advice on how to deal with micro scratches that show up in the direct sunlight. I have a 2000 ford F150 dark toreador red clearcoat metallic and have put nothing on it but liquid glass. I wash it wkly with the glass wash and a cotton chennile mitt,dry it off with chamious ,,so am not sure what is causing the micro scratches .

Was wondering if maybe if it could be in the polish and not in the clearcoat? Would a person be able to tell if he used a 30x magnifiery on it?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to take the wrong steps in trying to fix it .

Also if I would want to change products I use on the finish ,,,what would u guys recommend for that dark color,,or should I stick with liquid glass since I have started it ? I like to work with it ,except it creates a lot of dust when removing the product!!

p.s. I also seen the scratches inside the door jambs and nothing has touched that but one coat of glass and the chamios to dry after I wash,,, Thanks a lot

debaser330ci
10-10-2001, 09:50 PM
i`m not familiar with the liquid glass product. With zaino, though, i`ve learned to differentiate between scratches/swirls in the zaino polymer, and scratches/swirls in the clearcoat itself.

i`ve found i can only QD (quick detail) up to a certain point before i start to see the tiniest of marring in the *finish* from the dust/microscopic dirt that accumulates on the finish between washings. once i see that marring, i stop QD`ing until after the next wash (my car is an everyday driver).

maybe someone else here that uses liquid glass might have some more insight.

and of course, if you ask me, i would personally reccomend zaino and everyone speaks highly of klasse here. if you switch to one of those, be sure and find out what you need to do to get the LG off of your car to prep the surface for either of them (isn`t LG another type of polymer finish?)

imported_doug
10-10-2001, 10:06 PM
I think part of your problem is using the chamois to dry. That is actually very "old school" and I think it is not the best solution. Washing never gets rid of all the dirt, and the chamois doesn`t trap and lift away the particles very well. It also needs to be squeezed out pretty dry to work without streaking, so there is a lot of friction when you rub. This is a recipe for introducing scratches. Whiile we`re at it, make sure you start at the top of the truck, work your way down, NEVER use the mit below the belt line until everything above it is clean, and rinse the mit ALL THE TIME. You might be introducing the scratches as you`re washing. I learned this the hard way.

I`ve tried calif. water blade - good IF you have a really clean surface to start. Get ONLY what you can get with the first pass, so there is plenty of water to lubricate the blade. Risk here is if it picks up a spec of anything abrasive it will drag it all the way down your car.

My latest technique: Rinse with LOW pressure, high volume - NOT spray. This cause the water to sheet off instead of form all those droplets. If I do get a lot of droplets, I go for a quick drive to get the bulk of the water off. Then, try one of the micro-fiber drying towels. I was able to dry my whole car without having to wring the towel out by using this technique.

shvlhead78
02-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Sayin Hey From Missouri.
Love to keep the vehicles sharp.:Dancing Dot:

Old Pirate
02-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Welcome to TID shvlhead78, enjoy the best detailing forum around...:wizard:

grungy
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Welcome to TID! Where you can learn to do things the right way and not do this :banghead:

RED JEWELL SS
02-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Sayin Hey From Missouri.
Love to keep the vheicles sharp.:Dancing Dot:

I am here with ya brother , over across the bridge near SIU . This is a very nice forum , everyone is a detail junkie and they are always willing to help.
I have been here only a short time myself and still ask way to many questions.
:biggrin:...welcome neighbor !

imported_Luster
02-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Welcome to TID! I`m from KC, what part of MO you from?

RED JEWELL SS
02-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Welcome to TID! I`m from KC, what part of MO you from?

I guess I never noticed you were from KC.......:banghead:

shvlhead78
02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
From the St. Charles area

imported_Flash Gordon
02-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Welcome to Truth In Detailing Shvlhead...Hope to see you around :wink:

RED JEWELL SS
02-26-2010, 08:01 AM
From the St. Charles area

There was a Kettle Corn dude on channel 2 recently ,is that your business ?

bmw5541
02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Shvlhead78,
Welcome to TID. This is a great place to learn. There are never any bad attitudes here. Everyone is always willing help out. Don`t be affraid to ask questions, because, we all have to start somewhere.
Hope to see ya here often:clap: