PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maryland

Pages : [1] 2

andrew43
10-10-2001, 01:21 PM
Does anyone else here think there are too many forums now, and not enough content to justify the need for them? While the main detailing forum gets pretty heavy traffic, it seems like we will miss or lose posts (or have lots of cross posting) due to the amount of forums here.

Comments?

mx5
10-10-2001, 01:24 PM
They are trying to broaden their fan base with the new wider topic forums. This is a business and obviously with more traffic to this site they can get more purchases or entice more advertisers to advertise here. Bottom line: We don`t buy or they don`t advertise, no more forum. Internet bandwidth costs are crazy nowadays.

pingiii
10-10-2001, 01:57 PM
Knowledge is power. I think the more the merrier. It`s like the entertainment business. I wouldn`t go to the opera, but I wouldn`t want to deprive others of their choice.

Read the ones you want, and skip the ones that don`t tickle your fancy. In the long run, the business climate, and the informational content will sort out the wheat from the chaff. Enjoy!

Bobby G
10-10-2001, 02:51 PM
Let me explain.

1. Autopia is still a hobby. It looses money every month. While CMA`s sponsorship helps, it does not cover all of the costs. The ebook is helping, and I might come close to break even next month.

2. I am an auto enthusiast and a writer. I love cars... I love writing. I have experience in a very broad area of cars. From custom auto body, to engine rebuilds, to killer stereo, to racing chassis, I`ve done it. I plan to write the same level of articles and tips for all of the forum topics I have added as I have for detailing.

3. In 2002, Autopia will become a business (again) with sales and profit goals. I will find more sponsors and advertisers, but the site will not become a banner Hell. I refuse. Instead, I will publish my link database that categorizes products and providers. I have more than 10,000 automotive links. In addition to the advertising, Autopia will sell its ebooks (I have more titles coming) and offer a small line of Autopiaware goodies. I have 20 license plate samples already, but they are too expensive for most people. I need to get the cost down.

4. When I publish the next version of Autopia Forums, you will have drop-down menus to go to forum areas. You won`t have to look at the long forum list. I will also make my articles available from drop-down menus. I hope this will keep Autopia Forums from looking like a "mega forums" where there are too many people and too many topics.

I thought long and hard about the changes. What makes Autopia unique is the passion Autopians have for their cars. In addition to detailing, many of us like to tinker and drive. I`m simply trying to make our favorite hangout more enjoyable.

db

andrew43
10-10-2001, 03:08 PM
Let me clarify...I was definitely not trying to bash Autopia or anything like that! I love this place!! I was just expressing concern that with a myriad of forums, it hard to keep order and drive attendance to all forums. I for one am a fan of different motorsports and like to be able to communicate with others that share my passion. But, I really cant imagine coming to Autopia when I have a question about things specific to MY race setup or anything that specific. Great place for general talk though, I would think.

Holly Marie
10-10-2001, 03:10 PM
Yell00ITR:

Expand your mind....:bounce

Bobby G
10-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Yell00ITR,

You may be right. I will have to see. There are a lot of forums out there. In the end, all of the forums I have added may not make it. As I have interest in all of the topics, I hope others will join in.

db

pingiii
10-10-2001, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up on what`s in the future on the Forum. We all know that what you do here is a labor of love, and that you and Holly-Marie, and Brad B. are the ones that make it go.

I personally have seen the format change a couple of times, and it only gets better. In my mind you have developed the best detailing Forum on the web. Your expertise in the automotive field shows, and is well appriciated.

I for one, can`t wait to see the new year upgrades, and look forward to the changes for the better.

We also know that you can`t lose money forever, and hope that the new changes put the Autopia Forum on a profitable basis in the new year.

If I remember correctly, I was the 93rd lucky member of the Forum, and now where heading for 1000! Wow, next year, 10,000 contributors??? Cool! Thanks again. Enjoy!

boywonder
10-10-2001, 04:14 PM
Actually, I like the new forums because I can chime in on more topics than just detailing. :D

Lemonxxs
10-10-2001, 07:41 PM
I like the new forum topics and think it will bring this forum to new levels for car nuts like myself.

Now if we could fix that mark as read thingy. With all the members posting more sometimes I find myself rereading the stuff. I blame my "somehiemers" but it would help. I know you are trying and thats all I ask.

When are the new forums going to be unlocked?

Bobby G
10-10-2001, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it`s hard for me to believe that we`re coming up on 1,000 members. Who would have thought there would be so many people interested in "perfect cars"? I guess we`re not alone.

I have often wondered why I keep the forum going. Autopia started as a hobby, that turned into a business, that went back to a hobby again. Along the way, I realized I like doing this a whole lot more than being an executive sitting behind a desk. So, here I sit (again!) trying to figure out how to make a living from what I enjoy doing most (working with cars and car people).

db

Mikescustomdetail
10-10-2001, 11:39 PM
Thank you for providing this great forum. I very much appreciate it. Thanks, Diane

Langley Interior Car Kare
10-10-2001, 11:51 PM
it`s great....I`ve only been here for a mth or so....lucky#800+ or sumthin like that...but i have to say....this is the only place i have seen where everybody gets a say...whether or not their opinion is unpopular...or people thinks their nuts....it gets posted..then everybody gos back and forth and we all learn something...it`s like learning but with fun.....all the threads...no matter what forum they are in...always come around to somehow connect to somehting else that i was wondering....so the more the better....if no one posts...then i guess tha it will get phased out...like everything else....

bottom line...anyone who likes cars...loves cars and taking care of their own..... has to love this site....

if i had a dollar i get back 98 cents for that rant..........

Nutbread
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Lurker here. Been registered for a while, thought it was time to say hello.
Not a pro. Just a guy who likes to detail the family vehicles.

bmw5541
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Welcome to TID Nutbread. Nice to have you here.