PDA

View Full Version : Down To The Nitty Gritty

Pages : [1] 2

Toyotaman
10-08-2001, 11:46 PM
I just joined this board and there seems to be allot of good info and advice about detailing, so I have a few questions. I consider myself an average detailer......I spend 4 or 5 hours on every vehicle I own even when I am just giving them a quick cleaning....I plan on using Zaino products on all 4 vehicles I own....Question #1: What carwash solution do you guys recommend?......Question #2: What is the best way to dry a vehicle and with what product?(I am looking to keep the fine scratches away after the Zaino use)......Being as I live in an area with semi-hard water, has anyone ever used a RV filter on their outside hose to eliminate spotting due to harsh water?....I was told that RV dealers sell these in-line filters that will screw right onto the outside faucet........Thanks in advance for any help....Great board guys!

2002 Silverado

1992 Cutlass

1983 Cadillac

1996 Grand Am

imported_killerjg
10-08-2001, 11:51 PM
Sorry do not have much time to post tonight, but the search function is outstanding. Should get you going! Just put in those topics.

Cybercowboy
10-08-2001, 11:51 PM
Just went through the scenario (except for the hard water part) so maybe I can help. You can talk to me, then we can condense it down to a dull roar here on the forum. Or, maybe you can find plenty of info here. Up to you.

brent@cybercowboys.com (``)

adjulian
10-09-2001, 11:05 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Question #1: What carwash solution do you guys recommend?......Question #2: What is the best way to dry a vehicle and with what product?(I am looking to keep the fine scratches away after the Zaino use)......Being as I live in an area with semi-hard water, has anyone ever used a RV filter on their outside hose to eliminate spotting due to harsh water?</blockquote>
Question #1: If you are using the Zaino system, Z7 (car wash) is pretty good. Can be a little pricey though for the amount that you get. Lots of people here like Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo. You can get it at Target for like $10 a gallon.

If you really want to minimize scratches, use the 2 bucket method (one bucket with clean water for rinsing the chenile wash mitt after each panel and the other for the shampoo). Use a quality chenile wash mitt or pad, Viking Brand from AutoZone tend to be pretty safe and use bumper to bumper motions to minimize `swirl marks`/scratching.

Question #2: Best way to dry a vehicle is preference. First, when rinsing your car, let the water just run out of those (vs sprying it from a nozzle) and sheet over the car, the water will actually do most of the drying for you. Some people use 100% cotton towels (preferably FieldCrest Cannon `Charismas`) to do all their drying, others use a synthetic (water bandit or absorber) and follow up with a cotton towel or microfiber towel, and some use 200MPH electric leaf blowers. I tend to use the 2nd method, blot the Absorber on each of the car`s panels (don`t drag it) and finish with a microfiber or cotton. Also use motions that mimick the way air travels over your car.

The RV filter I don`t have experience with unfortunately.

Hope that helps and just my .02.

Toyotaman
10-09-2001, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the advice.........

boywonder
10-09-2001, 02:26 PM
One item I have recently adopted is the California Water Blade. I use that to get rid of the majority of the water, then follow up with a chamois. That drastically cuts down the drying time.

Glozz
10-09-2001, 04:00 PM
I keep all my car towels and various supplies stored in tupperware containers when not in use. This keeps dust and grit out of the way.

I always machine wash and dry all cotton towel products right after washing my car and truck.

NEVER use softner for your towels!

I just started to use the "Absorber" and a MF towel for drying touch-ups and this is working really well. I was getting micro scratches in my Zaino`ed finish while using my cotton towels. I also notice that my drying time has been cut in half and this is good with cold weather on the way.

RED JEWELL SS
02-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I think I have decided to order the V-2 and the PCXP, here is why,I want to have both size backing plates and pads available without having to flip flop all the time.Maybe its silly to have both,but its not a great deal of money spent to have the convenience.
I know sum of you guys are thinking why dont you get a flex or other to round out versatility ? well that makes since in a way....but maybe down the road I will have three machines....but if I do as my experience builds , then I will be armed to the teeth. What do ya think? I always enjoy you guys comments.:StarWars:

imported_Luster
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I have 2 machines. The original PC and the new XP. PC is dedicated to 4" pads (and used as a backup machine, if ever needed). XP is the main power tool for the 5.5`s.

gmblack3
02-21-2010, 02:57 PM
If I was going to get 2, I would get the v2 and the 7424. Use the 7424 for the 4" pads.

Jeff U
02-21-2010, 04:27 PM
No offense there dude but do you make all your decisions at this pace?

If so, I figure that you ended up with the 2010 Camero SS after beginning the search process in 1968. ;) :D

Just pick one, or two. Just think how much time you`ll free up...

Street Dreams
02-21-2010, 05:01 PM
If I was going to get 2, I would get the v2 and the 7424. Use the 7424 for the 4" pads.

Agreed.

I had the PC XP and then got the V2 which is the primary DA I use, in case something happens to it or if I am on a time crunch I have the PC XP as backup (or just another backingplate setup)

bmw5541
02-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey, if you can swing it, go for it!:hurray:

RED JEWELL SS
02-21-2010, 07:39 PM
No offense there dude but do you make all your decisions at this pace?

If so, I figure that you ended up with the 2010 Camero SS after beginning the search process in 1968. ;) :D

Just pick one, or two. Just think how much time you`ll free up...

I know , I have prolly bored you guys to death with this indecision , it seems like I make mistakes some times and get ina hurry and find out later I screwed
up.....:(

imported_Stokdgs
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey Red Jewell SS, no problemo on your search speed here - and I`m sure that everyone took a little time to take the plunge and buy equipment.
For some of us because we are in the business of detailing, the decision comes quicker because of the need, where others, its for more convenience, do the family`s cars, etc., and there you have to be more careful what you get so that as you said, you dont screw up..

You are getting 2 great machines, there is no doubt about it, and each will compliment the other, and you will not have to change your technique alot to use either one, compared, to using a PC and a Rotary..

Good luck with your project, keep us in the loop ! :)
Dan F