PDA

View Full Version : Scrated Side Mirrors

Bluedog
10-08-2001, 10:12 PM
i seem to see these two words used interchangably sometimes. so what exactly is the difference between a wax and a sealant? can someone give me examples of each? im getting the impression that wax is more natural (carnuba) while sealants are more synthetic, like klasse and zaino. is this right? also can they be used together? just wanted to get this straighten out, thanks:D

YoSteve
10-08-2001, 11:10 PM
wax is a term for an actual type of organic solid, like parrafin, carnuba, etc it traditionally has been used to keep many things shiny and lubricated before the car days :)

I guess sealant, as the name suggest, is something that seals (in this case our paint). Sometimes people refer to Klasse as an acrylic wax, liking it to car toppers rather than the organic meaning of wax, but that`s just to help with the description relashionship, it contains no wax.

you`re correct in your thoughts

Cybercowboy
10-08-2001, 11:26 PM
Wax is organic, so is sealant usually. Organic means it contains carbon if I remember my chemistry lessons...

But wax is almost always natural. Nothing wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say. But it does tend to decompose in oxygen and UV rays. Luckily for me my car operates in a dark vacuum. But for everybody else, wax breaks down at about the same rate. Fast.

Synthetic waxes (sealants, if you will...) were specifically developed to last longer and be as pleasing as wax - or at least a chemist`s idea of pleasing.

Hope this helps. Think Penzoil 10w30 vs Mobile One.

YoSteve
10-09-2001, 02:42 PM
BBC, I didn`t say Klasse wasn`t organic :) Acrylic is an organic polymer.

I said it was a specific type of organic solid (low melting temps, high hydrocarbon content), but you`re right its the kind found in nature that makes the destinction.

I was saying that we call Klasse a wax for its car use and not for its chemical structure, cause in a nature sense it`s not a wax.

Cybercowboy
10-09-2001, 02:59 PM
I don`t even remember reading your post before I made mine. I started typing it and didn`t post it right away.

imported_daveo
02-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I have been lurking for a while now so I figured I would ask my question and start getting involved on this forum. The side mirrors on my Mercury Mountaineer have some hazy scrathes that were there at the time purchase. Before I try anything I was wondering what others have done. My guess it is more plastic than glass.

Thanks,

Dave

imported_Flash Gordon
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Can you reintoduce yourself with a simpilar question please :Boxing:

Scratched Mirrors.....:banghead:

Long story short is you will need to heat up the surface to remove scratches. Problem is, heating them up can also ruin/burn them up, trust me on this, I know first hand :o

Heres another thought: If they are really bothering you just go to the Automotive Glass store in your area and tell them you want New Skins these are just flat pieces of mirror that are cut to factory specs they will glue on top of your existing mirror :spy:

BTW, Welcome to Truth In Detailing. Hope to se you around :wizard: