PDA

View Full Version : removing orange peel by buffing or wetsending?

Pages : [1] 2

Bluedog
10-08-2001, 04:31 PM
im planning to start using Zaino soon. with Z1, Z2, and Z5? (the swirl remover one). just lately ive noticed my first swirl marks since i first got my car in mid 99. its only in the rear though. but anyways, what is the best products u guys have experenced to reduce swirl marks? mine are pretty small for now but i still want to use the best. i know the zaino one works good along with the whole set. but are there better ones? ive also heard good things from 3M...

rstype
10-08-2001, 05:04 PM
If the swirls are very mild, then try 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for Dark or Light cars. Zaino`s Z-5 is a temporary swirl filler that masks very minor swirls.

I would try to remove it as best as you can with the Perfect-It, and fill in any micro-swirls or marring with the Z-5. Good luck!

Bluedog
10-08-2001, 06:33 PM
hmm sounds like a good idea. do u know if those products are compatible with each other though? also, can i get this 3M product in stores like pepboys, autozone, walmart, ertc?

edgewise
10-08-2001, 06:38 PM
"best swirl remover is...?">>> Porter Cable with fine machine polish.

rstype
10-08-2001, 08:20 PM
They are compatible, just after you get the results you want from the 3M, remove the remaining oils (from 3M) with alcohal. Z-1 also has cleaning agents, so it <em class=`bbc`>might[/i] remove the oils.

I`m not sure though. Any more experienced Zaniacs know more about the cleaning abilities from Z-1?

Lemonxxs
10-08-2001, 08:27 PM
Not many cleaning agents. After you removed your swirls using SMR then wash with Dishsoao to remove the waxes etc so the Zaino stuff will bond.

Plus it ensures all the abrasives are off the finish so you can QD the vehicle with out fear of grinding in more swirls.

PET PEVE Road construction. Why must they sand blast concrete to fix the expansion joints? Why must they do it at rush hour?

Sorry Was stuck in traffic. BTW stay way away from them striping trucks.

Cybercowboy
10-08-2001, 09:33 PM
the more I think that Z5 is for minor scratches in the polish you have already applied. It works remarkably good for that. Not for "raw paint" though. You have to get the paint looking good first. Here, you have many options. Looking back on when I started two or three months ago, I should have got a PC orbital buffer and learned the ropes on my brother`s car.:D

Bluedog
10-08-2001, 10:10 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Not many cleaning agents. After you removed your swirls using SMR then wash with Dishsoao to remove the waxes etc so the Zaino stuff will bond.

Plus it ensures all the abrasives are off the finish so you can QD the vehicle with out fear of grinding in more swirls.

PET PEVE Road construction. Why must they sand blast concrete to fix the expansion joints? Why must they do it at rush hour?

Sorry Was stuck in traffic. BTW stay way away from them striping trucks. [/b]</blockquote>
ok, ive decided to go with the 3M SMR route. so when i use it with zaino, should i use it BEFORE the Z1 or AFTER it? after i have washed the car with dish detergent that is. because if i put it after, then wash it with dish detergent again like u said, wouldnt that also wash away the Z1 i just applied?

Lemonxxs
10-08-2001, 10:19 PM
Zaino should be the last thing you put on paint for it to work properly. Go to his site and read up and then email Sal. he will help you.

Bluedog
10-08-2001, 10:27 PM
i c, so i should dish wash first, then 3M SMR it, then use Z1 and so forth...?

Lemonxxs
10-08-2001, 10:31 PM
Wash with regular car shampoo.

3m SMR and anything else you need to do to finish.

Wash with dawn.

Zaino per instructions.

Mikescustomdetail
10-09-2001, 01:21 AM
Hi, you may want to test the SMR first. I had difficulties with it on my San Marino Prelude. You may want to do a search on SMR and Honda/Acura. I have seen several posts about SMR leaving Micro-marring in Honda and Acura paints. I gave up on the SMR and just used Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion and then Zaino. My swirls were very light and the PPCL really help them and then the Zaino covered much of what was left. Diane

Bluedog
10-09-2001, 01:41 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by 912mom [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Hi, you may want to test the SMR first. I had difficulties with it on my San Marino Prelude. You may want to do a search on SMR and Honda/Acura. I have seen several posts about SMR leaving Micro-marring in Honda and Acura paints. I gave up on the SMR and just used Pinnacle Paintwork cleansing lotion and then Zaino. My swirls were very light and the PPCL really help them and then the Zaino covered much of what was left. Diane [/b]</blockquote>wow, thanks for the heads up

95formulalt1
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
i had some painting done about a yr ago on my firebird. there is alot of orange peel on the front fenders and some runs on the pass side. i know i will bean wetsanding and i got some m105 and m205 with pads form PAC!
heres some pics to show you what im working with. i like to hear your input and what you think would work best. thank you for looking.

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/559305122.jpg?1265485439

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/559305121.jpg?1265485182

imported_Auto Concierge
02-19-2010, 12:35 AM
That is some heavy orange peel there, this would be classified as a "kids do not try this at home" situation, unless you have done this type of work before then I stand corrected.