PDA

View Full Version : Schlegel pads?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bluedog
10-08-2001, 03:21 AM
i was looking for some field crest of canon towels for basic detailing purposes. since it was suggested at zainos site i thought id go for those brands in specific. well i failed to find any of those brands in many stores and department stores around me.

so i thought id come here to ask where u guys get ur towels and such. what brands do u guys recommed most for applying waxes, buffing, dusting, etc...? do u prefer pads or towels? any certain brand for pads? is microfiber really worth getting?

any kind of input are really appreciated!:D

BradE
10-08-2001, 09:03 AM
You can get Fieldcrest towels at the Outlet store. They are irregular, but most can`t really find anything wrong with them. You can get them here: www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com

I like to apply everything with foam pads. They allow the most control, and give very thin even coats. Microfiber Towels are good. But, make sure you get good ones. I only let Miracle Towels touch the paint. Never let the cheap ones touch the paint, they will scratch. You can get good Towels from:

www.properautocare.com They are call "Magic" towels now.
www.tacscar.com They car "Ultimate" towels, same as Miracle Towels.
www.yosteve.com Also has Miracle Towels.

MarcBickham
10-08-2001, 11:15 AM
Mr. Lincoln,

I`m assuming from your previous post that you wouldn`t choose the Viper MF towels on sale for 3 @ $12 - right? Does the 20/80 blend make them "cheap?"

rmccall6
10-08-2001, 11:27 AM
Not at all! Great towels. Get two packages (6) of em.

BradE
10-08-2001, 11:45 AM
The Viper towels are very good towels. I own many of them. I am just really pickey about what towels touch my paint.

What I mean by "cheap" towels are the $3.99 Microfiber from Target, WalMart, AutoZone etc. They are fine for door jambs or other dirty jobs, but I would never let them touch the paint.

neomatrix
10-08-2001, 11:51 AM
I ordered from this site and I hope to get those Charisma towels next week. The prices are lower than the fieldcrest outlet store.
Check this link: www.linensource.com or call 18004349812.

Here`s the direct link to the sale page: http://www.thompsongroup.com/ls/temp/display.cfm?PATTERN_SYNTAX=CTN&cartid=wwkx7443 (`http://www.thompsongroup.com/ls/temp/display.cfm?PATTERN_SYNTAX=CTN&cartid=wwkx7443`)

If the link doesn`t work, just go to the site and look under Bath/Charisma Near perfect Set.

BTW, the white bath towels were $6.30, white hand towels were $3.40 ( $2.99 for the linen color) and white wash towel were $1.60. Shipping is about $4.95 for orders up to $20.

adjulian
10-08-2001, 12:09 PM
just be sure when you use them to fold them so the edges or the decorative borders are not exposed, if anything might scratch your paint it may be those. Some people like to cut off those borders and the edges and serge them, not all that necessary. Or you could cut the towels into 2 or 4 and simply seal the edges with a zig zag stitch with 100% cotton thread (not just cotton coated) which would minimize fraying.

fishboy
10-08-2001, 12:40 PM
How would I know if Im getting a decent Microfiber?? I heard that the new ones on CMA were not as good??? Is that right??

Most importantly...,

Can I uses the microfibers JUST like a regular charisma(drying, wiping off wax etc..)???

Any true advantages of the MT`s?? Im trying to decide whether or not I should bite and go for a micrfiber...

Also, I hear some people who use the charismas to take off the wax then they `buff` w/ a MT...whats that all about, what do they mean by `buffing` in this case???

JTS

mx5
10-08-2001, 01:01 PM
After removing wax, some people let the car sit in the sun for a while and then bring the car back in the garage and "buff" the car to a nice shine.

YoSteve
10-08-2001, 01:43 PM
Microfiber? good question

There has been a lot of discussion about microfiber. There has been coming down the tubes a recent batch of problem microfiber towels. We (I, me) have been working with the distributor and manufacturer, not only to solve the recent problems, but create an even better towel.

Here`s what good about microfiber. The actual fiber is smaller than the smallest of natural fibers (silk being the smallest natural fiber), more fibers per inch mean better ability to pick up dust, take off wax, shine glasse, polish chrome, etc. This combination is also very absorbant, absorbing up to nine times its weight in water. The other key factor is durability. A microfiber can hold up to a few hundred washings, because of what its made out of.

So what does that mean for us? Microfiber is best for removing SG and AIO haze. It picks up dust everywhere on the inside of your car, not to mention shines the windows and chrome and wood trim. If you ever drop you towel in a pile of sawdust, it`s dead. It pulls that stuff up like velcro and by that point you have to throw the thing away because it works so well. The same thing with washing it. If you wash it with something that has a nap to it, it`ll pull all those fibers onto the towel as well. Microfiber is the absolute way to go with quick detailer. You can dry a whole car with one towel (wringing it of course). It`s easiest to get most of the water with one towel, and use another one to finish up (along with some QD).

The problem at the moment is finding a good microfiber. A microfiber towel that lints is not a good microfiber. The batches come in waves from Korea and the last wave wasn`t too good. The problem is that the manufacturer was taking quality control forgranted, not realizing certain aspects that auto enthusiasts care about more than most. You will also start to notice many distributors will carry less and less "good" towels as the supply goes down. When they come back out, I`m sure, you will hear about it really quickly (hopefully before Christmas).

Hope that helps, feel free to e-mail me about mf`s for I have done a lot of research about it. yosteveweb@yahoo.com (``)

Bluedog
10-08-2001, 04:29 PM
thanks for all the info and responses so far.

so im kind of getting that most of u use normal towels and a few use pads for applying waxes. then alot of u use, or prefer to use, microfiber for REMOVING/buffing the wax or for drying/cleaning purposes. i think im gona get a good amount of that microfiber towels and some high quality pads.

where can i get high quality pads anyways? any specific brands any of u had good results from?

rstype
10-08-2001, 05:19 PM
Most foam applicator pads work great. I particularily like the Viking HD foam pads, but are very pricey at $2.99 each. I`d get one for applying polishes, and about 6 regular ones for everything else.

For towels, I highly recommend a Miracle (aka YoSteve, Magic, or Ultimate) Towel. Fieldcrest Charismas are pretty good too.

TortoiseAWD
10-08-2001, 05:51 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by BW [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Most foam applicator pads work great. I particularily like the Viking HD foam pads, but are very pricey at $2.99 each. I`d get one for applying polishes, and about 6 regular ones for everything else.[/b]</blockquote>Woah, inflation in SoCal, whodathunkit? I can get them for $1.99 here in Omaha . . .

I agree, though, I really like the Viking pads. The "knob" on top of the applicator makes it a lot easier to maneuver (imo, anyway), and no hand cramps!

Tort

JonB
10-08-2001, 06:41 PM
Where is the best place to get the Viking pads???

H

TortoiseAWD
10-08-2001, 07:57 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bigboyhf [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Where is the best place to get the Viking pads???[/b]</blockquote>If there`s an AutoZone in your area, that`s where I found them here in Omaha . . .

Tort