PDA

View Full Version : Flex yc3401vrg d/a

Pages : [1] 2

Bob Post
10-08-2001, 12:32 AM
It`s apparently an older product in the normal maroon container.

Has jojoba oils and other stuff good enough to eat, it`s not even on the Meguires site anymore. I guess Walmart is discontinuing it, they had it on the clearance rack for a buck!! It`s a gel-type product that is greyish and works great! It`s thick, but when I applied it the greyish color absorbed into the tire and made them

a nice, jet black! I let it "marinate" in the sun and it looks great, more shiny than a "matte" finish but less shiny than the silicone

wet looking finish. It also last as I washed the car a few times and the tires still looked great, all I did was refresh the surface by

buffing the tire slightly and re-applying a small, diluted amount to the tire. Don`t know why this stuff didn`t sell, but it beats the hell out of my Endurance, which is under my sink 3/4 full. Endurance just slings too much and was a dust/dirt magnet, and didn`t even give me the shine advertised.

corvettez
10-08-2001, 02:07 AM
First time I`ve seen anyone mention that tire gel on this board. I liked it too while I could find it and as you said it isn`t even on Mequires web site. I never could find it there over the last four years I was using it on the last two cars. I`m out of it now and have been using Zaino and 303 but it was great stuff, very predictable in how it performed and you had control over the amount of gloss. It lasted for a few weeks over multiple washings and never browned the tires. I`m surprised it`s being discontinued if that`s the case, I`d like to know where to find it if that`s possible.

RED JEWELL SS
02-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Is this too much polisher for a first time user ? I think its a good add on for the experienced detail-er....how about the wannabe ? :confused:

Old Pirate
02-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Is this too much polisher for a first time user ? I think its a good add on for the experienced detail-er....how about the wannabe ? :confused:

You mean a XC3401VGR? I don`t think it`s too much in fact IMO it`s just as easy in learning to use a machine to detail. Just remember it`s faster in correction work and only has one size backing plate.

RED JEWELL SS
02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
You mean a XC3401VGR? I don`t think it`s too much in fact IMO it`s just as easy in learning to use a machine to detail. Just remember it`s faster in correction work and only has one size backing plate.

Sorry about the typo Angelo , yeah that is limiting , would need another polisher with different size plates, I can see where it would save time on larger areas in skilled hands.

Harleyguy
02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry about the typo Angelo , yeah that is limiting , would need another polisher with different size plates, I can see where it would save time on larger areas in skilled hands.Rumors still float around that Lake country is suppose to make some backing plates for the flex,sure would be nice.After doing some research on the cost of making a backing plate for the flex i was told it would cost around $250K.Plus if the Flex fails while using a backing plate other then the one that comes with it may cause a warranty problem.I would just change it back and play stupid which i can do really well.

Old Pirate
02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
It`s a great machine to use if your looking for a true dual-action machine that works hard and corrects very well like a circular polisher that can do with the safety of the random oscillation`s to prevent swirls.

Jeff U
02-16-2010, 10:04 PM
I bought the Flex 3401 and it is the first, and only, polisher I have ever used. I found it very easy to use for a newbie.

Fairly idiot proof and I have had very good results.

If had to do again, I would buy the same machine.

imported_Stokdgs
02-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a Flex 3401VRG and I just used it to do a full correct on a white 2010 F150 SuperCrew. Used a 6" L/C flat pad/s and M205, and the Flex worked really fast on the miles of long flat panels of this truck.
I ran it up to the top speed 6 at times, and the Flex handled great, as long as you didnt press too hard on it, then it wanted to go away on you.

To me, anyway, it would be harder to learn for the first time, than a Porter Cable machine, because its bigger, like a Rotary buffer, and it has way more power, but the trade off, is you get forced rotation at every speed and you cant bog it down. It gets hot, though if you buff a long time with it, but it cools down quickly.

The P/Cable/Meguiars/Griot machines are way easier to learn on, they have 3 sizes of backing plates/pads, and because of less power, smaller in your hand, easier to manage and get the hang of this. Some people have spent enough time with these machines to get great results - maybe as good as a Rotary - but I think it would have to take longer than a Rotary..

There are people who sell the 6" Flex backing plate - Auto Detailing Solutions out of Arizona for one, sells that plate. I just got a side handle for my Flex that they sell, and have been much more pleased with this arrangement, since I learned originally on big heavy buffers that only had side handles..
I think these same people are still selling the Meguiars v2 for $149 and you get some pads and a Meguiars bag with it...

Good luck with your choice -
Dan F

imported_Termigator
02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
I started out using the PC for a couple of years and then got the Flex last year. It`s definitely more powerful and effective in paint correction. I`m glad I got it, but I`m also glad to still own the PC. I do feel the PC is a little more versatile, since you can use different size backing plates. I currently use the 3.5" (I think it`s 3.5". Somebody correct me if I`m wrong!) for tight curves and spots and the 6" for LSP applications. If I had to choose, I`d probably get the Flex for it`s higher capability.:)

imported_Roadrunner
02-17-2010, 10:55 AM

I don`t think the Flex would be too much for a first timer. There`s lots of info on this forum to guide you and as always... start out on a car that doesn`t have a lot of value. I`ve got a friend that owns an "economy" car lot. When I want to try something new, I go down there and work out the learning curve on one of his low budget cars. It`s a win/win... you get to practice and learn, the dealer gets a (hopefully) nice car in return.
You can also get panels from body shops and junkyards to practice on, although I don`t really recommend that. It`s easy to polish horizontal surfaces, like a panel on saw horses but you really need to work on vertical surfaces, like those found on a car as those are a bit more challenging.

I think if I was starting out I`d get one of the new Meguiar`s DA`s... I`m going add one to my polisher lineup, looks like a great machine.
The only problem with the Flex is you can`t change the backing plate to a different, smaller, size.

RED JEWELL SS
02-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I don`t think the Flex would be too much for a first timer. There`s lots of info on this forum to guide you and as always... start out on a car that doesn`t have a lot of value. I`ve got a friend that owns an "economy" car lot. When I want to try something new, I go down there and work out the learning curve on one of his low budget cars. It`s a win/win... you get to practice and learn, the dealer gets a (hopefully) nice car in return.
You can also get panels from body shops and junkyards to practice on, although I don`t really recommend that. It`s easy to polish horizontal surfaces, like a panel on saw horses but you really need to work on vertical surfaces, like those found on a car as those are a bit more challenging.

I think if I was starting out I`d get one of the new Meguiar`s DA`s... I`m going add one to my polisher lineup, looks like a great machine.
The only problem with the Flex is you can`t change the backing plate to a different, smaller, size.

Thanks Gary,
I really appreciate your input...I do have sum cars I can learn on, there is sum paint work needed here and there....so if I roach a fender or hood it wont be a total loss...:( :rofl:....brings up a particular question ? I have an overhead shelf in my garage ,My black Cobra Mustang was under it one day,sumthin fell of the shelf and hit the front driver fender and took it down to primer about the size of a quarter....with the V2 or PC would I be able to paint and wet sand that area and paint and polish out do you think? or is it just not doable without more machine ?

RED JEWELL SS
02-18-2010, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=RED JEWELL SS;30759]Thanks Gary,
I really appreciate your input...I do have sum cars I can learn on, there is sum paint work needed here and there....so if I roach a fender or hood it wont be a total loss...:( :rofl:....brings up a particular question ? I have an overhead shelf in my garage ,My black Cobra Mustang was under it one day,sumthin fell of the shelf and hit the front driver fender and took it down to primer about the size of a quarter....with the V2 or PC would I be able to paint and wet sand that area and paint and polish out do you think? or is it just not doable without more machine ?

RED JEWELL SS
02-18-2010, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=RED JEWELL SS;30759]Thanks Gary,

Bump :biggrin:

Old Pirate
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
This will work for sure...... http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/zoomzoommazda5/classic-motoring_2091_23124585.gif (http://properautocare.com/makhigspeedp3.html)