PDA

View Full Version : 3M Perfect-it rotary backing plate

imported_Page
10-07-2001, 09:38 PM
Folks, need some help here. This is the story. Let me preface and say I have been to Autoint.com page and reviewed Ford`s OEM tech bulletin on removing road paint/asphalt sealant. I have also heard of using mineral spirits/prepsol solvent to remove. I am looking for words of wisdom from someone who has removed road paint before, or has

known someone to remove the substance before.

My wife drove over asphalt road paint about 10 days ago. I only heard about this on

Friday, as she thought it did not get on the car. The car is a 2001 Mustang, laser red.

The road paint did not "color" stain the Mustang`s surface. In fact, the substance appeared like a "whitish plastic" when I washed the car. That`s how I suddenly noticed it. The substance would "flake" off like plastic when I rubbed it with my finger.

Okay, here is the problem. The substance coated the entire bottom half of the driver`s side door,

the lower rail, and the rear driver quarter panel. It has left small "particles" which feel like asphalt

embedded in the paint. I used Auto Int.com ABC system this afternoon. ABC did soften the

material somewhat, but did not remove all of the embedded particles.

I have a PC 7424 for machine action, and am willing to go to many steps to remove this "overspray"/asphalt substance. Tarminator did not even touch the stuff. Whatever it is, it is tough.

I look forward to reading your thoughts, right now, I am stumped, and feeling a bit down.

SJ

imported_theamcguy
10-08-2001, 04:32 PM
hmmmm....well, have you tried a clay bar yet????:confused:

JonB
10-08-2001, 06:24 PM
I drove over what I think turned out to be wet cement. I tried everything and ended up at the body shop for wet sanding. It was a mess. I hope yours responds to clay...

H

imported_zoraduntov
02-16-2010, 01:45 AM
How do people like it ? Is it worth the money ?
I see that most online stores don`t carry it . It`s very expensive , is that the reason .

Todd@RUPES
02-16-2010, 07:56 AM
How do people like it ? Is it worth the money ?
I see that most online stores don`t carry it . It`s very expensive , is that the reason .

I have used the 3M backing plate several times. It is a very nice backing plate and it appears to be built very well. I believe it is only available in 4.75 inches, while making it ideal for 5.5 inch pads, means it is undersized for 6.5 inch or larger pads.

If you really like rotary polishing with smaller pads, then it is one of the few super flexible backing plates that fits those pads.

I personally like 6.5 inch or 7.5 inch pads for the majority of my rotary polishing, so I much prefer the Meguiar`s W66 So1o Backing plate. It terms of feel (accounting for the difference in size) they are very similar, with the Meguiar`s being both less expensive and larger (5.75 inches).

I believe the reason the 3M plates are not as popular is because most people (including the vast majority of bodyshops) in the US use larger pads. In the UK I have seen these plates sell for as low as $30 US. In the US it appears that a lack of demand has driven the prices higher.

imported_Roadrunner
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Good info Todd... thanks.:thumbup:

One question... how`s the wear on those Solo backing plates? I`ve wanted to try them out but the foam looks a bit delicate. Do they hold up?

Thanks again!:smile:

Todd@RUPES
02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
The first So1o backing plate I had lasted about 70-80 full corrections before the I noticed any significant wear. If you run the backing plate against anything it can tear, but then again if the backing plate foam is touching something you probably aren`t paying attention.

After about 70-80 corrections it looked like the glue started to separate from the plastic, so I replaced it. The separation was very small but better safe then sorry.

imported_zoraduntov
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
DO you think it is worth gettng if you like to use small pads ?
They are about 70 dollars.

imported_Roadrunner
02-16-2010, 02:49 PM
The first So1o backing plate I had lasted about 70-80 full corrections before the I noticed any significant wear. If you run the backing plate against anything it can tear, but then again if the backing plate foam is touching something you probably aren`t paying attention.

After about 70-80 corrections it looked like the glue started to separate from the plastic, so I replaced it. The separation was very small but better safe then sorry.

Thanks Todd, I`m definitely going to pick one up to try out.

Puckman
02-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I just picked one up about a month ago and I really like it. I predominatly use 5 and 5.5" pads and it is ideal for my pads. I like the "feel" of it if that makes any sense. They are expensive and I`m not really sure it`s worth $70.

Old Pirate
02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
The "Meguiar`s Easy-Buff" Backing Plate for rotary polishers was created using the same technology perfected for the Meguiar`s OEM Polishing System used by the auto manufacturers. This "Easy-Buff" soft, padded backing plate is an alternative to a hard backing plate to distribute pressure for smoother buffing. This distributed pressure also helps to reduce swirls.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/zoomzoommazda5/classic-motoring_2092_17484385.gif (http://properautocare.com/meebapl.html)The benefits to using this "Easy-Buff" Backing Plate are:

Safely contours to curves and body lines
Distributes pressure for smoother buffing
More forgiving for less swirls
5.75" diameter fits flat polishing pads from 6" in diameter
7/8" soft foam hock & loop backing pad
Fits perfectly in the Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze 7" Polishing Pads and Lake Country Kompressor Pads.
And the price is $25.99

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t158/zoomzoommazda5/W66Thickness.jpg (http://properautocare.com/meebapl.html)

Puckman
02-16-2010, 07:00 PM
There ya go zora! Looks like the same design as the 3M model and at $30 it`s a much more palatable price.

Old Pirate
02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Don`t forget your TID discount of 10% off also.........:wizard:

imported_zoraduntov
02-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Yes that one looks just like the 3m plate . I`ll be ordering it soon .