PDA

View Full Version : Light colored paint...

jkochis
10-06-2001, 04:12 PM
Tried a little experiment this week, wanted to see how some Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) would work as a Quick Detailer (QD).

I put some SG into a spray bottle, then added tap water, at about a 10:1 ratio of water:SG. This ratio is very unscientific, I just wanted to see how it worked. Distilled water would probably be better, but I didnt have any available. Suprisingly to me it mixed well, and even 2 days later didnt seem to settle at all. I shook the bottle well before both uses nonetheless.

Test 1: Used it on my dusty truck that hasnt been washed or QD`d at all in 2 weeks, it`s parked outside 24/7. It got rid of the grime, but wasnt very lubricating, I wouldnt try this on a new ride or one with no swirls.

Test 2: Used it on my freshly cleaned truck, washed with EF Power Wash (wow, sudsy!!!). Went on and off easily. No worries about lubricating.

Final Results of both: WOW! Not only was the shine improved in both cases, but the slipperyness (is that even a word?) was awesome. I will definitely add this regiment after washing, but not in between washes. I definitely know that it layered down a small layer of SG as the results proved it to me. I didnt even let it dry, just sprayed and wiped with a Charima towel.

Give it a try, I think you`ll be impressed.

imported_Blake
10-06-2001, 09:35 PM
The info sheet they send with Klasse recommends that you do this but with AIO rather than with SG.

imported_killerjg
10-06-2001, 10:31 PM
Same ratio?

mx5
10-08-2001, 01:38 PM
I have tried this with SG. Spray it on. Wipe it off. Great shine. I find I get a better shine if I spray it on, spread it quickly with a clean towel, let it dry to a light haze and wipe off. Amazing shine and a breeze to remove. No hard rubbing. Takes less than ten minutes.

jkochis
10-08-2001, 04:06 PM
Blake,

The advantage to using SG versus AIO is that the SG does not contain any cleaners. If your car is already clean (which I recommend) then by using SG detailer you will be layering a very thin layer of acrylic, and not remove any previous layers (AIO might).

ZL1Mark
02-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I`m referring to finish only!! Lets say you`re using a Flex 3401. You use M105 with a orange pad on one car. You use M205 with a white pad on its twin. You work the products the same way. Will there be any clearly distinguishable difference in gloss/finish between the two cars? Would it matter if one is solid and the other is metallic? Remember, this would be with light colored paint. :)

imported_wfedwar
02-13-2010, 11:06 AM
I`m sure there would be a pretty significant difference. The 105/orange pad finish will not be as glossy. It`s hard for me to even get M205/black to finish off perfectly with a Flex, unless its on hard paint. There`s a lot of variables as you`ve noticed. If you have the products available, do some test spots. I like to use a tape line to best show one polish vs another. Are you trying to decide what products to buy?

Todd@RUPES
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
In most cases M205 with a white is going to produce a better finish and gloss. Because it is a light colored car the difference may or may not be visible (depending on who is looking at the car of course).

A lot of people might be happy with the finish M105/Orange leaves behind and call it a day. But at least from a scientific stand point the finish left behind by M205 should be finer, as far as the visual difference, who knows.

ZL1Mark
02-13-2010, 11:15 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]In most cases M205 with a white is going to produce a better finish and gloss. Because it is a light colored car the difference may or may not be visible (depending on who is looking at the car of course).

I`m speaking for the average person who doesn`t know the difference between a wax and polish. Side by side, same exact car, I would assume they wouldn`t notice a much of a difference in gloss between m105/orange, and m205 white on light colored solid or metallic paint.

ZL1Mark
02-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Are you trying to decide what products to buy?
More so with pads. I have a good amount of product. The 2 LC hydro tech pads seem to cover a very wide range.

Todd@RUPES
02-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I`m speaking for the average person who doesn`t know the difference between a wax and polish. Side by side, same exact car, I would assume they wouldn`t notice a much of a difference in gloss between m105/orange, and m205 white on light colored solid or metallic paint.

I think it depends on the average person. To be it seems pretty status quo for most people to not really care about their car. I would think that 99% of the population would walk by a swirled out black car and a perfect one and not notice much of a difference other then the perfect one looks `shinier` maybe...

Is there is a difference? Sure. Can people tell the `average` person tell? I have no idea.

ZL1Mark
02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
I think it depends on the average person. To be it seems pretty status quo for most people to not really care about their car. I would think that 99% of the population would walk by a swirled out black car and a perfect one and not notice much of a difference other then the perfect one looks `shinier` maybe...

Is there is a difference? Sure. Can people tell the `average` person tell? I have no idea.
I completely understand where you`re coming from.

imported_wfedwar
02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, FWIW I prefer the classic open-pore style pads. I get great results with hydro-tech also, but they`re harder to clean and dry, which has lead to some failures for me. I prefer orange/105 followed by green/205. YMMV.

ZL1Mark
02-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I get great results with hydro-tech also, but they`re harder to clean and dry, w
I agree. The couple I have take forever to dry!! I think I`m going to buy the classic flat.