PDA

View Full Version : Cylco For ?????

Pages : [1] 2

MarcBickham
10-05-2001, 11:04 AM
I`ve seen mention of people avoiding the spray-on tire shine. It works good enough for me, and it`s easy. Does it harm the rubber? Thanks

mx5
10-05-2001, 11:15 AM
Supposedly most silicone based tire sprays will harm the rubber over long usage because of petroleum distillates. But I think by that time the tread would be gone.

touhy
10-05-2001, 01:39 PM
If there was any evidence linking tire damage to these products the big suppliers like ArmorAll and Blue Coral wouldn`t sell them. They both have huge corporate parents that are very liability shy. This stuff slings off or rinses off in a few days so enjoy the shine.

Ron Ketcham
10-05-2001, 01:45 PM
Not any longer, at one time yes, but then AmorAll is on it`s third owner in about 7 years.

Lawsuits, yes, lots and lots of them. Especially due to QuickSilver wheel cleaner.

Last word inside the industry was they were defending in the area of 17 million in suits.

As far as dressings, it is an issue of weakening the sidewalls, the sling staining permanently the flex agent painted parts. Expensive repair, priced some painting of panels lately?

3M, Mequiar`s, etc are not selling high petroulem distillate content/dimethal silicone fluid tire dressings. They learned their lesson and don`t want to pay out all that money again.

:eek:

mx5
10-05-2001, 01:47 PM
http://www.303-products.com/techinfo/whytiresareblack.htm (`http://www.303-products.com/techinfo/whytiresareblack.htm`)
Other Degradants

Petrochemicals and silicone oils can remove the protective waxes and increase the rate of degradation. Common automotive "protectants" and "tire dressings" are typically devoid of UV stabilizers of any type and contain petrochemicals and/or silicone oils which dissolve away the protective waxes and can actually aggress the sidewall. In the event of warranty sidewall failure, one of the first things tire manufacturers look for is evidence of the use of these types of products. When found, this is often cause for not warranting the sidewall failure.

Ron Ketcham
10-05-2001, 02:02 PM
Wonder where they got the information?

Heh,heh.

The statement is correct, 303 uses the same resin system we do, the formula is the same with the exception of the percentage of resin.

Our market is different than theirs, so we are about 4 to 5% less on the resin content.

That doesn`t account for the substantial difference in price, but marketing does cost money.

Individuals that they market to require the additional life of the resin on the tire vs our commercial market.

I used to produce a higher resin content product, same as 303, but was not a big seller in our markets, so dropped it.

:cool:

BradE
10-05-2001, 02:03 PM
I would stay away from silicone based tire dressings. Not because of safety, but because they will turn your tires brown when you stop using them.

touhy
10-05-2001, 02:55 PM
I`m sorry but could you name a tire product without silicones? These posts show up everywhere and just seem to perpetuate unsubstantiated myths like breathing paint. Can someone show me a link where a tire shine product is actually found to be responsible for sidewall failure. A kid dying because he drank acid wheel cleaner is one thing but I just have never actually seen a real case of tire failure due to shine products. Sure, a dealer may try to blame tire failure on those products to wiggle out of a warranty claim but please show me to the bulletin published by a major tire manufacturer stating this policy.

Ron Ketcham
10-05-2001, 03:07 PM
They have issued these and should share them with you.

Ford, GM and DCX have issued to their dealers, since 1994, various bulletins regarding this.

The only published data I can easily point you towards is the Ford Tech Tips that they put out a couple of years ago, it is on our site.

The TSB on it is available from dealers, but pretty hard to get one to look it up for you.

Facts are facts, just that some are hidden away, so get out the microscope and go play detective. That is about the only way one can get the information.

:up

Lemonxxs
10-05-2001, 03:46 PM
Another reason not to spray on the tires is it gets everywhere on paint and wheels. Waste more!

If you use spray spray it onto a tire swipe or old applicator. Never use this applicator for paint finish products again either. Wash it seperately from paint car cloths.

YoSteve
10-05-2001, 04:10 PM
I don`t want to use a tire that has a safety threshhold can be overcome by a spray on product. Or is it the other way, I don`t want to use a product that affects a tire to where it interrupts its safety threshhold.

You would think that if they had a tire product that met all an Autopian`s needs, that we would all use it (one for high gloss, the other for not).

Scottwax
10-05-2001, 05:07 PM
I`ve been mixing Meguiars W-Dressing with Armor All. I like the W-Dressing, but it is thicker than most others (but not a gel), so when I spray it onto the block tread of truck tires, it comes out in a thin line. By cutting it 50/50 with Armor All, it sprays more easily into the sidewall tread of 4 x 4 style tires.

For regular passenger tires, I spay the mixture onto a towel and wipe it on, and once I spray into the side tread on truck tires, I wipe the product on the rest of the tire and then wipe down the sprayed areas so there is no sling.

In any event, the mixture is durable, has a natural shine and is cost effective.

Ron Ketcham
10-05-2001, 06:04 PM
That is the good resin, all you would have to do with the thick stuff is add water. That is the carrier in both products.

:eek:

svanderbilt
10-06-2001, 03:31 AM
You can use Armor-All, Black Magic, etc, but you could just use the Aerospace 303 or Lexol Vinylex you`re already using on your dash and use it on your tires. Less products to buy.

YoSteve
10-06-2001, 02:34 PM
Black Magic Semi-Gloss Dashprotectant contains PDMS resins (the other BM products contain silicone, yuck!)

I use it on my tires, temporarily, it does an okay job (the wheels bead) and the tire is black. I`m going to try some vinylex next cause I have to order some Lexol Cleaner. I recommend the BM semi-gloss for dash and plastic better.