PDA

View Full Version : What POLISHER do you use? Or use most?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

fhmac
10-05-2001, 09:40 AM
My sheepskin mit from Griots completely fell apart after only a couple of months. I don`t really need any other supplies right now, so I hate to place an order online for just a wash mit. I have seen some chenille mits at wal-mart and pep-boys, but I`m always scared to buy products there. Is there a brand that they carry that is good? Wal-Mart has a sheepskin mit that feels very soft, but it is only about $5.00 and that makes me think that it may be synthetic (label says it`s not). Thanks for your help.

Lemonxxs
10-05-2001, 09:45 AM
Look at them closely. Tug on the fibers etc. 100% cotton etc.

Also make sure the seams are sewn inside out to reduce swirls.

I picked up a few detailers choice they seem OK better than the Turtle Wax one. When they cheap (4.99) and they only last 10 washes you dont feel so bad tossing them to the dog for a chew toy.

BradE
10-05-2001, 09:56 AM
Look for the Viking Cotton Chenille Mitts at WalMart. They are pretty good, and they don`t cost a ton of $$$

YoSteve
10-05-2001, 11:02 AM
Vinking e-mailed an autopian saying that only the mitts labeled 100% cotton explicitly were the only ones that were made out of 100% cotton. They also said those ones lasted longer because or the manufacturing they are put through on the cotton ones.

99323ic
10-07-2001, 11:41 AM
I`m surprised that your Griot`s sheepskin mitt didn`t hold up. Since he has (wonderful) return guarantee, I`d contact their customer service and either get your mony back or get a replacement.

I`ve had my Griot`s mitt for over 6 months, and I`ve only lost 1 "thread" of elastic around the cuff. Not a big deal.

You may also want to think about using a micro fiber wash mitt (I got mine at CMA). It`s really good at scrubbing, but seems to be quite gentle. The pile is thick enough to get the dirt and grime away from the paint, but rinses clean very easily.

I tend to be wary of some of the products you see in Wal-Mart, PepBoys, etc. Sometimes some of the "accessories" can be a profit generator and not really a quality tool. I guess "let the buyer beware" applies.

I have much more faith in places like CMA, Griot`s, Tacscar, YoSteve. At least when you make a purchase from these places it`s like you`re buying something from a fellow car care enthusiast.

Just my $.02

imported_Luster
02-11-2010, 09:15 AM
What POLISHER do you use most?

And why?

For me, PC7424XP... I use if for everything from heavy compounding to finish polishing... in combination with M105/205, it`s a great machine!:Innocent:

Please wait one week before posting another poll to replace this one on the main page! Thanks....:w00t:

bmw5541
02-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Only have my Griots Bill.
I chose this one because of the added power and warranty.

imported_Luster
02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone`s using!:Innocent:

BIOLINK
02-11-2010, 10:12 AM
I have a PC and Makita rotary. I use the PC more often due to the flexibility. The PC works wonders with Klasse on paint and windows.

Husker Z
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
PC7424 for me and I love it. I`m still getting used to it and finding out what speed/pressure works best with which pad, but I don`t do near the details most of the guys on here do, I normally just do my own cars.

Porter Cable equipment is great stuff though, I really like their products.

hopsgt500
02-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I only have the Mequiars RO. I`m just a weekend warrior detailer on my own car LOL and this polisher is great. :Dancing Dot:

imported_Luster
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
The Rotary Boys haven`t checked in yet! :Dancing Dot::toetap05::clap:

Deep Gloss
02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
My main tool is my Makita 9227...

imported_Stokdgs
02-11-2010, 12:45 PM
I always start with the Makita 9227, because it is fast, and normally I can get by with fewer passes more quickly.

For the front ends/back ends of vehicles where you need a smaller footprint, I like my old version P/Cable and a 4" foam pad.

I have as of late brought out my Flex VG3401 ( purchased from PAC) and tried it, and it works great too.

But I will always go first to my Makita 9227 rotary.

Perhaps someday, may be able to afford the new Meguiars Random Orbital, but not now.

Dan F

imported_Termigator
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I started out with the Porter Cable. Used it for a few years. Then, last year, I found a killer deal on a Flex DA. Been using it for polishing since. I still use the PC with the 4" pads for close quarters and the 6" for liquid LSP`s.