PDA

View Full Version : What is it with the E-Z Detail Brushes???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dolphin463
10-03-2001, 10:05 PM
The thread about Collinite waxes linked to a website for a Collinite distributor called DCCarcare.com. I had a section for car care tips and one of them was to use Ivory soap to wash your car. Basically, their assumption was that all car wash soaps slowly stripped waxes over time and that Ivory was milder and gentler than others. Does this guy really know what he is talking about. I thought one or two washes with Ivory, Dawn or other dishwashing liquids would strip all wax. He thinks otherwise.

mx5
10-04-2001, 06:13 AM
Ivory website: "Classic Ivory Soap-The classic 99 44/100% Pure Floating Soap contains no heavy perfumes, creams, or dyes."

Ivory has always been sold as pure soap. Maybe since there are no harsh additives DCCarcares claim may be true. Ivory soap rinses off very well in the shower so the same may go for vehicles.

ihetenyi
10-04-2001, 06:14 AM
but I would believe that the friction of washing your car with a mitt irregardless of what wash you are using will gradually work away a carnuaba based product. The other issue I would be concerned with would be the PH of the car wash vs. Ivory (or other soaps). PH balances on the acidic side of the scale will most definitely strip waxes and possibly polymers. While I don`t know the PH of Ivory, its generally taken for granted around here that Dawn is acidic and will strip wax. Car washes are generally around a neutral 7.0.

I`m definitely not a chemist so I`m sure some one else will flesh out this answer for you.

Steve

mx5
10-04-2001, 06:36 AM
Ivory website:

"What are Ivory`s ingredients?

Ivory Soap is made of both vegetable oils and animal fats. Two different kinds of vegetable oils are used in Ivory - coconut oil and palm kernel oil. We add a preservative, less than ½ of 1% of magnesium sulfate and sodium silicate, to keep the bar as white as its name.

Ivory contains no heavy perfumes, creams or dyes. A light fragrance is added to provide that Ivory clean smell."

andrew43
10-04-2001, 08:27 AM
Wolfsburg: Actually, most of these soaps/detergents are alkaline, not acidic.

OH yeah, and Ivory will strip wax pretty easily. Lets read into this a little more...

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Ivory Soap is made of both vegetable oils and animal fats. Two different kinds of vegetable oils are used in Ivory - coconut oil and palm kernel oil.</blockquote>

Animal fats and vegetable oils will likely assist in grease cutting and will strip the wax off the car.

jkochis
10-04-2001, 08:38 AM
My question is "why" would you want to use Ivory? There are literally dozens of readily available, cheap, car wash soaps available that were developed not to strip wax.

ihetenyi
10-04-2001, 10:12 AM
I was posting way tooooo early :). Detergents are generally alkaline to neutralize acids....

mx5
10-04-2001, 12:49 PM
Has anyone tried Oil of Olay? :)

ALM
10-04-2001, 06:14 PM
Auctually im more partial to Herbal Essence....OOHHH YEESSS!!!!

imported_Stokdgs
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I have bought the big one and the smaller one, and both have broken off at the handle!
It appears that the wire they use to make these must be defective or something - if you bend it to get into wheel openings, etc., after awhile, it just breaks off - at least for me.

Anyone else have this problem??

Now what do I do with 2 broken wheel brushes ?

Dan F

imported_Luster
02-08-2010, 01:04 PM
The internal wire is like coat hanger wire. If you bend it enough, it`s going to break. The weakest point is right above the plastic handle, where the most bending occurs.

I had one break and I bought the "Daytona" wheel brush, which is almost identical to the EZ Detail Brush, except the "coat hanger" is a little stiffer. I`ve used it for well over a year and no break.

But I did learn a lesson from the EZD experience of bending at the handle.

I really work hard NOT to bend the wire.

(I reallize that it is designed to be bent, but it will weaken the metal!)

imported_Stokdgs
02-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Bill,
Thanks for your input - I thought it just must be me - but Im very careful with all these tools and never bent these brushes hard or quickly, to get in between wheels.
Maybe the name should be changed to We-Make-EZ-Money-for-our weak-a$$-detail-brush

Angelo, this is my official complaint - please forward to the people who make these lame tools - what is the warranty for these? I spent what maybe $40-45 for the pair from PAC ??

Dan F

Old Pirate
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I will forward this to our buyer and also to Jack.

imported_Pats300zx
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
This is one of the biggest complaints about the EZ Detail Brush. The other being the rubber tip that falls off of the top. I had one break on me already and wasn`t pleased. Unfortunately, there is not another brush like it on the market.

If I could find one OTC that performs like the EZ Detail Brush I would throw my EZ in the trash.

imported_Macgirl
02-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Not to say these are perfect brushes, but I`ve bought 3 and they`ve all worked fine. 2 I`ve given as gifts to others but, so far so good, and I would know since they were given to my brother and father-in-law.