PDA

View Full Version : Hello!!

Pages : [1] 2

Lemonxxs
10-02-2001, 07:41 PM
Anyone ever try to remove swirls in polycarbonate lensed eye glasses with any wax/polish?

I just realized I see swirls all the time because they are on my lenses! Micro fine swirls from those lazy times I use my shirt.

Ron Ketcham
10-02-2001, 07:45 PM
A rare earth, cerium oxide-opitcal grade in a lubricating solution.

:eek:

pingiii
10-02-2001, 08:27 PM
Why not take them back to your vision center and let them repolish the lenses. Enjoy!

Lemonxxs
10-02-2001, 08:39 PM
I probably need a new prescription any way.

I was just wondering if maybe one of these polishes would improve them a bit.

Cybercowboy
10-02-2001, 08:51 PM
Lasik.

01GTCOUPE
10-02-2001, 11:15 PM
This is funny! I`m an optometrist, so I have to chime in.

Lasik can cause swirls, too, although it won`t happen to everyone. Unfortunately, they`re the permanent kind, in your vision.

Polycarbonate and plastic (CR-39) lenses are soft compounds with a hard resin coating. Like a soft loaf of bread with a crust. If you try to polish the coating, it fractures. You could try a scratch hiding compound to fill the scratches a bit.

Most people who want their keep their lenses perfect make a concerted effort to have them redone under warranty. All coated lenses are warranted for at least one year by the manufacturer. It`s just that some chincy retailers try to resell you that guarantee as an extended warranty. You cannot take your lenses back to the vision center to be repolished. They just replace them - `cause it`s cheaper.

There is one lens coating that holds up better than any. It`s called CRIZAL, by Essilor labs. It`s an antireflective coating that is unbelievably beautiful, enhances your vision, and it`s super scratch resistant. Get it. You won`t be dissappointed.

Cybercowboy
10-02-2001, 11:19 PM
I can`t believe it! I mention lasik and get a lecture!!!!

Just kidding. Actually, 01GTCOUPE is right. I spent a good deal of time finding a top-notch place to do my surgery. You really do get what you pay for.

The guy that did mine was phenomenal. TLC in Tulsa, OK. No swirls, just 20/15 in each eye.

Lemonxxs
10-02-2001, 11:49 PM
OK DOC; Where can I get the stuff?

LOCAL eye glass store in mall?

I am due for a new examine any way.

FPEGHQWT

How did I do?

01GTCOUPE
10-03-2001, 09:57 AM
Cyber, I`m glad you did your homework and found a skilled surgeon. It made the difference, didn`t it?

Guess, you can get CRIZAL antireflective coating at any professional office or optical that carries the Varilux line of products. If they don`t have CRIZAL, they will try to substitute another product. Don`t let them - keep shopping `till you find the real deal.

Back on topic....I`m just learning about serious detailing and I really appreciate everyone`s advice in this forum. I`m happy to have a chance to contribute from my own experience.

boywonder
10-03-2001, 10:16 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by 01GTCOUPE [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Cyber, I`m glad you did your homework and found a skilled surgeon. It made the difference, didn`t it?

Guess, you can get CRIZAL antireflective coating at any professional office or optical that carries the Varilux line of products. If they don`t have CRIZAL, they will try to substitute another product. Don`t let them - keep shopping `till you find the real deal.

Back on topic....I`m just learning about serious detailing and I really appreciate everyone`s advice in this forum. I`m happy to have a chance to contribute from my own experience. [/b]</blockquote>
....and that is what it`s all about. :D

01GTCoupe, I have a question. I am planning to get some new frames soon but the hardest time is finding a frame with a polarized clip.
So far, I ran into a set of Bugle Boys that had the clip but I have not seen anything on that vein since. Do you know of any makers that carry that (as well as a regular sunglass clip since I take pictures with a 35MM SLR that has a polarized filter on it)?

KR CoolShine
10-03-2001, 11:09 AM
Prinz:

I go to an independent guy who will put any lens I want in the clips. The only thing I haven`t been able to convince him to do is glass with the Corning coatings found in Serengeti Drivers. Something about hanging the real glass in front of the plastic.

My clears have the Crizal coating (it is great); the clips for them have polarized lenses with some other coatings (don`t remember which); my suns are real glass with the Corning stuff.

Of all of them, I will never be without a pair of the suns with the Serengeti/Corning treatment!

boywonder
10-03-2001, 03:28 PM
I will ask my optometrist about the Crizal.:D

YoSteve
10-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Well while we`ve got you, I`ve got 1 01GTCOUPE? I`m having problems with distortion around my eyeglasses (when I don`t wear my contacts) Object on the sides of my lenses "move" faster then in the center :)

will aspherical lenses help me out or no?

I`ll have to see about the coating, but I keep care of my lenses usually (it the frames that don`t last long for me) Thanks.

01GTCOUPE
10-03-2001, 10:24 PM
Well, we`re really on a roll now!

Prinz, there is a company called SAFILO that makes some of the absolute finest eyewear in the world. Like all of the best frame manufacturers, they`re european. SAFILO is the world`s largest frame manufacturer and they`re located in Italy. They invented the spring hinge. Just recently, they`ve issued some of their frame-with-clip models with polarized lenses as an option. But, the styles are limited. Remember, any optical quality clip can be used as a frame itself for any lens you want. So you can still take any clip that is `edgable` or ophthalmic, to be correct, and put plano polarized lenses in it. My private lab does it all the time.

Yosteve, aspheric lenses are a major improvement on old fashioned single curve lenses. But, the optics, although better, are different. Some folks have trouble adapting to them. It depends how old you are, how strong your Rx is, and how well the lenses are fabricated. Polycarbonate has very poor optical qualities, but it`s cheap, strong, soft, lightweight, and has a high index of refraction (so the lenses are thinner for a given Rx.) Aspheric polycarb is a big improvement in the optics, but the material still yields some compromises. Hi-Index plastic actually has better optics. But it`s more expensive, and slightly thicker. You can get hi-index aspherics, as well.

If you wear contacts too much, you may lose the ability to switch, or adapt, back and forth between contacts and spectacles. This is a big problem for patients with strong Rx`s that fail to maintain some degree of spectacle wear and fool themselves into thinking that contacts are all they need 24/7.

Hope that helped.......Now.....,

what about that 3M SMR (#39009 for dark finishes?) Can a newbie like me use it to get off my first crop of water spots? Vinegar didn`t work.

boywonder
10-03-2001, 11:35 PM
To get rid of a water spot, you might have to wash, then clay, then polish using something like AIO or a medium cut cleaner, dependent on the severity of the drop etching in the paint. After that, glaze and wax.

01GTCoupe, I will try the Safilos. I am currently wearing Luxoticas. I have been looking at Kenneth Coles and Bugle Boy Frames.