PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars G110v2 vs Flex XC 3401

Pages : [1] 2

mikeg
09-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Well I have tried everything.

1. Brand new unwashed generic terry cloth towels, you know it scratched :-)

2. Went to pep boys and got some yellow super soft towels (3 for 5$), scratch.....

3. Went back to pep boys and got some yellow fome pads, scratch.....

4. Old towel found in the garage (couldn`t even read the label anymore), perfect no scratches but I ran out. I guess they don`t make them like they used to....:-)

5. Ordered some Fieldcrest Cannon Outlet Charisma Bath Towels then washed them w/o fabric softener, scratch.... I can`t believe these things scratch, there so plush (don`t worry they will find a home in my bath room, I`m usually content with the k-mart towels, so these are great)

I`ve been looking all over the house for another old towel but I can`t find anything. What can I get that will not scratch my car?

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 09:41 PM
Miracle Towels! Search the forums.

If everything you use scratches it may be something else too.

Foam pads should not scratch if clean and applying polish. I would not use to remove though.

Maybe you need a better car shampoo. Maybe you still have dirt on the paint that is scratching.

mikeg
09-30-2001, 09:55 PM
I haven`t even started to shampoo the car yet.... I think the problem is when I`m removing the products not when applying. I can have a perfect surface then rub the Charisma Bath Towel somewhat hard against the paint and get scratches??? The car is black by the way.

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 09:58 PM
I am confused but it happens regularly.

You wash the car first with a car shampoo or soap or whatever you want to call it right?

Then you coat the paint with your choice of wax/polish right?

And you use the towels only to remove the wax/polish?

or do you quick detail the car with a towel?

YoSteve
09-30-2001, 10:31 PM
if your paint is that soft, just dab it until you can get a microfiber. Don`t know but if cotton doesn`t agree, MT`s might not even be able to help you.

is the scratching permanent? your car must be completely swirled up after the first week you got it.

mikeg
09-30-2001, 11:17 PM
I`ll start from the beginning.

My car is a 98 Toyota Supra TT with no orange peal at all and some swirls/scratches. I decided I had enough of the swirls and had to do something, so I purchased some 3M SMR and Finesse-It II. At first I experienced some scratching but then I found a old towel and everything was going well until the towel couldn`t be cut know more (no more towel). So I thought no problem, I`ll order some Charisma Bath Towels. They came and I washed them, let them dry and scratch..... These scratches are only visible in the garage under florescent lights. Maybe I`m being too particular but whey didn`t my old towel scratch?? Sould I warsh the Charisma towels again?

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 11:23 PM
So you are using towels to remove your polish?

If so give them to the dog to chew up and buy some Micro Towels. Steve can highlight on the micro towels.

Heck do the CD test he talked about some time ago!

Cybercowboy
09-30-2001, 11:45 PM
If your paint is so soft that Charisma towels are cutting into the finish, wow! Ron can help here, seek his guidance. You may not be happy with the explanation, but seek it.

mikeg
10-01-2001, 12:34 AM
Any Idea why my good old towel (with lable worn off) didn`t scratch?

vaboom123
02-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Hello everyone.

I`m having a hard time making a decision between these polishers. I`ve owned a porter cable 7424 and makita circular polisher for years. I`m looking to upgrade from my old porter cable to a new DA. I would just like to know the pros and cons between the two and if it`s worth spending more for the Flex.

I`ll be using this polisher on the weekends for my vehicles and a few details a month for the extra cash. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Zach

imported_Stokdgs
02-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Zach,

I have the Makita 9227 the P/Cable old style and the Flex VRG3401.
If you decide on the Flex bear in mind that it only has one, repeat, one backing plate for 6" pads and no other backing plates are made for it to my knowledge.
Your P/Cable can have backing plates for 6, 5, and the smaller pads, 4" I believe. Same as the Makita 9227.

I find myself using the smaller pads on the P/Cable on alot of front end parts of cars that are too small to try to work even a 5" pad in there, so for me, having the flexibility of smaller pads on the P/C or for that matter, the new Meguiars P/C with more power,etc., would be a greater advantage, even for weekend warriors.

I also like the Makita for certain times when I feel it will give me the best shine quickest, but the Flex is about right there with it, and less issues, with the material used in the polishing with a Random Orbital. The Flex will have forced rotation which is an advantage, but having only one size of pad that can be used with it, makes it a tough sell for some people.

I like the Flex too and just used it to buff out a 1999 BMW Z3 hood, Titanium Silver, and it was fast, with no problems loading up, etc, and I was able to run the speed all the way to the end at 6 with no problems..

So decide what you want your machine to do with what variety of pad sizes or not, and go from there..

All are good solid machines.

Good luck

Dan F

vaboom123
02-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the insite Dan. I believe that the only backing plate for the Flex is 6" from the factory. I also have the carpet scrubber brushes for the PC that I would miss when using the Flex. I also wonder how customer service is for Flex? I`ve had great luck with the PC service when I had problems with mine.

Justin Murphy
02-02-2010, 06:01 AM
The new G110 V2 is an awesome machine. I have never used the Flex though. Like the above poster said, it only has one plate and your pad sizes are limited. Look at the money difference too. You can buy a lot of pads for the price difference.

The V2 made a huge leap over the V1 and older PCs. This a pro machine that can correct.

hopsgt500
02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I haven`t used the Flex so I can`t give any info on that, but I just recently bought the Mequiars G110v2. It handles great, very balanced, vibration is very minimal, noise is not that loud and it does great work. :smile:

imported_Roadrunner
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a Flex VRG, love it. I have a PC, not a G110, so I can`t comment on that although I hear they`re great machines. One thing I really like about the Flex is it doesn`t beat my hands up like a PC... not sure how the G110 is, vibration-wise, I imagine it`s like a PC?

The Flex is a quality machine, never had a problem with it. I love the trigger mechanism and how you can ramp up to speed slowly if you need to like a modern rotary.
I seem to be able to do better corrective work, with less effort, with the Flex as well... that probably has something to do with the forced rotation of the Flex.
I`ve been doing a "modified KBM" thing lately with the Flex, using Meg`s 105/205 combination and it works SO nice. Basically the same technique but you use less pressure with the Flex, and maybe a little less speed, although I`m usually on "6" in the middle of a panel... then ramp the speed down as I let off on the pressure. I can get 105 to finish out almost LSP ready everytime with a Flex.

The downside of the Flex is the backing plate`s only one size. I just keep another machine, either the PC or a rotary, handy with a smaller plate to do the tight areas.

For an orbital/DA type unit, I vote for the Flex.