PDA

View Full Version : LC Hydro-Tech vs. LC Flat pads...

Pages : [1] 2

BillNorth
09-30-2001, 06:07 PM
Hello fellow detailers! Well I just finished(for now) detailing my Fathers car. It`s a year 2000(actually picked it up Nov `99, so it`s almost 2 years old) Alero with silver mist metallic paint. Here`s what I did:

1. ABC`d the car. Upon further review the ABC did work(almost). "A" did a good job of getting rid of all the old wax and sealants. "B" reomved some of the industrial fallout, but not all of it. The severe fallout is still there. This disappoints me. The "C" is an excellent carwash. It lathers well and stays that way for the entire wash. The car was gleaming after this. The paint felt smoothe, almost as smoothe as claying but not quite.

2. Next, I WAS going to SMR. But the bottle I had was defective. The product was gumming up on me as I was applying it. And when I buffed it off, it did practically nothing for the swirls. I was very disappointed with this.

3. I had resigned myself to the fact that the swirls were going to have to stay until next summer, so I went straight to the AIO. Let me tell you, was I wrong. AIO is AMAZING!!! I used 4 coats on the hood, 3 on the roof and trunk, and 1 everywhere else. Unbelievavble! The paint felt like butter. AND, the swirls are 99% removed. You can still see some faint lines in very bright sunlight.

4. Next, I applied 1 coat of SG. I used a damp foam applicator.

Don, now I know why you say THIN coats. Just for a test, I applied it thick on the hood, and it was very hard to buff off. It streaked like crazy. Luckily, I did have a spray bottle of water handy. A couple of sprits here and there, and the SG came off nicely. On the rest of the car I applied it very thin. It buffed off easily with my dry charismas.

I don`t see a huge diff in depth or shine with the one layer of SG. Regardless, the car looks very beautiful. Better than before. Klasse looks very nice and it works very well on silver. I plan on applying 2 more coats of SG(hopefully this week),a nd maybe 1 coat of Blitz. When I have the three on, I`ll post some pics.

Klasse is awesome stuff, especially AIO. I have never come accross a more versatile product in my life.

A big thanks goes out to Tim/Snake for sending me the stuff. Not many people ship to Canada. Tim does. Thanks Tim!

And of course, thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge and experiences with me. I truly appreciate it.

When I stare into my shiny paint, I see all of you.

Take it easy.

FastHappy
09-30-2001, 07:07 PM
hey bill, thanks i`m glad it is working well for you. sounds like quite a work out with 4 coats on the hood. let us know how additional coats of sg work out.

tim

Don2000g
09-30-2001, 07:11 PM
Wow! Well good for you Bill! I love hearing great testimonials such as yours. Klasse is really not difficult to use at all. You already know the secret now. Now remember, one coat and your finish should look nice. Three coats and your finish will look even nicer. Trust me. Laters.

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 07:22 PM
Question for the klasse gurus:

How many coats is too many coats?

Why apply a wax topcoat? It seems it would prevent you from applying more layers of SG. Or can you layer over the carnuba or blitz or whatever?

Light pewter is my color and I read every where on here Klasse makes it darker. I do not want darker. I want a deep shine that lasts and protects from industrial fallout. The refineries around here pump out some crap!

I QD every day. With various QDs now till I settle on a system I like. So it stays clean. You would be amazed at the crap a 40 mile trip picks up around here though.

I have a attached a pic of what my Avalanche color is. Oh thats not me in pic this is from Chevy website.

Oh and that plastic stuff is a bird crap bombing run. I never have had so much bird crap in all my life till I buy this truck.

BillNorth
09-30-2001, 07:35 PM
I really don`t think there is such a thing as too many coats. Most people on the forum feel that three layers is best. From what I`ve read, many people don`t see any improvment in shine and depth above three coats of SG. If you don`t want your colour to darken, then I suggest using three coats of SG, and a carnuba topper. You won`t be able to add more SG unless you strip the carnuba. But that`s OK, because you shouldn`t want to add more SG because it will darken your paint. Keep 3 coats of SG as your base, and maintain your carnuba topper as if no klasse existed underneath, and you`re car should look fantastic. The reason people add carnuba on top of their klasse is because it adds depth to the beautiful candy shine that klasse gives. I have yet to try this, and I don`t know if I will. I really like the klasse the way it is. Even one coat of SG has made me very happy.

For something that is considered "old technology", Klasse AIO and SG are good stuff.

Don2000g
09-30-2001, 07:37 PM
If you don`t want your truck color to change much if any, then Zaino will probably be the product for you. The Klasse SG does darken the color a BIT. You might be surprised and end up liking the look of 2 or 3 coats of the Klasse SG. I suppose, if you don`t want to even chance it, then try Zaino.

Oh, and the carnauba wax over the Klasse SG just gives your finish that extra shine. With One Grand Blitz, it gives you a great shine and some great depth as well. Most people here love the look of carnauba over Klasse. Hope this helps. Laters.

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 07:46 PM
More questions popped up in my little mind.

If I use Klasse and top with Carnuba, cause I am a sadist and like detailing, Can I top the carnuba with SG again after a period of time or no?

Can I top Zaino with Carnuba?

Choices and decisions. Wish I had two identical trucks to try this on. Maybe I will go to the dealer and sit in lot and tinker with waxes on all the light pewter ones till I am happy.

Think they would mind?

Thanks for the opinions!

I am amatuer detailer, WAIT JUNIOR, but I strive to be the cleanest.!

When we gonna have a contest for the perfect clean vehicle?

JasonC8301
09-30-2001, 07:52 PM
No, can not top SG over carnauba. It will not bond, must strip carnauba off.

Zaino can not be topped with carnauba.

I think they won`t mind, just talk to the manager of the dealership. I should apply for a job at these dealerships. Get paid doing something I love.

Contest for cleanest cars will go to Brad B. hands down. Doesn`t he hand polish the 72 wires on EACH of his Jaguar`s wheels by hand, one at a time?

Just my 2 pennies,

Jason

BillNorth
09-30-2001, 07:53 PM
No, you can`t add SG onto your carnuba topper. You have to strip the carnuba off then add more SG. The SG won`t bond to the carnuba.

And no, you can`t add carnuba to Zaino. Zaino is 99.9% optically clear. It will not change the colour of your car in any way. If you put carnuba on top of your zaino, then you will tint the colour. Zaino is good by itself. From the pics I`ve seen, zaino does not require carnuba AT ALL!

I think Don is right, you may want to go the Zaino route with your truck.

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 07:56 PM
EACH WIRE?

I thought I was ANAL removing the seats and vacuuming underneath and detailing them inside the house!

Forget the contest I never mentioned it Brad wins! I bet he crawls underneath and polishes the under body. Or better yet removes the door panels and waxes behind them.

Tell me he does not wax the inside of the trunk and hood.

JasonC8301
09-30-2001, 08:05 PM
but his cars are very immaculate. His Sancutary (garage) probably can pass for a hospital. I wouldn`t mind being injured and sent to Brads Sancutary to get some medical help. Open my eyes and see myself staring at a silver Porsche Boxter and a red BMW 2002ti, on top of a nice shiny floor.

Just look at Brad`s signature and look at his cars and Sanctuary.

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 08:19 PM
Does Brad want to adopt any new sons?

The sanctuary is ... Heck words cannot describe that bedroom for cars.

I am now officially JEALOUS!

DAYUM!

I bet he waxes the floors too! PUN INTENDED

BradE
09-30-2001, 08:28 PM
Just looking at Brad`s garage makes us all drool. His floor in the sanctuary is a 2-part epoxy, the paint has the super hard glossy look once it has dried. I think he said the other part is urethane. Both were done by pros, my floor is going to look like that before winter! Yippe! :)

Brad`s cars are immaculate. His Jag even took first place at a Jaguar National event.

Cybercowboy
09-30-2001, 09:58 PM
to an Avalanche`s plastic side panels???

They`re HUGE! And grey. 303 or what? I`m only asking because this is bound to come up....

While I was waiting to sign papers on the vette the other day I had a salesman show me how the Avalanche worked. Hmmm.

Don`t have any idea how you would lock the truck up in pick-em-up mode. Nuff said.

Lemonxxs
09-30-2001, 10:07 PM
The plastic is a whole other issue. FOr now I clean as usual.

I do use a QD on them and it works well. But I am undecided on protectant. I started a thred some time ago on it and recieved plenty of advice. I will experiment, and post. I wonder what others use with all the vehicles using more of this grey plastic "Cladding" as body panels.

I did notice they installed the panels over painted metal doors. Also Cadilac is bringing out there version next year and they paint the panels but I presume they sand them smooth first.

As for locking the truck. With the midgate up no problem and the factory alarm is awesome.. I know I set it off a few times already.

I go to _________ (insert home improvement center here) withmidgate up. I come out with plywood sheets or whatever and slide under the rigid panels with midgate down. and lock tail gate.

When hauling bikes I have midgate down and panels stored. When I get to destination I close midgate.

I love this truck so many features so many choices. I can haul anything and tow anything. PLus my customers love it and I get more sales!

when this puppy is paid off time for a weekend car. Till then I will keep this one up better than anyone!