PDA

View Full Version : What pads to use when jeweling 85 menz with a flex?

Pages : [1] 2

Koyaanisqatsi
09-29-2001, 11:51 PM
It smells like childrens tylenol. Or childrens cough syrup. If you have kids and use the stuff check it out. I happen to work for the maker of tylenol and knew I recognized the smell.

nerdhunters
09-30-2001, 10:12 AM
OK, OK so who will be the first to try Tylenol on their car? Let`s see gel caps or liquid what gives the best results? I`m sure the Advil advocates will chime in about the durability of their choice. And if it doesn`t work out you can take it for your headache! :D

By the way I think your right about the smell !

imported_zoraduntov
01-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Also what speed do you set the flex on ?

imported_Bunky
01-30-2010, 08:05 AM
With my DA Flex, I used a LC black pad and speed 5.

Puckman
01-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Depending on the paint characteristics I use anywhere from a white, black or blue finishing pads (and mostly blacks and blues). Sorry can`t help you on the speed for a Flex but I dial down my rotary anywhere from 900 to 1200. I generally like to work PO85 slightly slower than my cutting polishes and use the pyramid or zenith point technique i.e. dial up, then down or 900 to 1000 then maybe to 1200 then back down. I`m not so sure this is necessary with PO85 but it`s a habit.

imported_Roadrunner
01-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Here ya go Zora`...
http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1789

imported_zoraduntov
01-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I should have specified that the Flex is a 3401 not a rotery.

imported_Stokdgs
01-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I like your Sig, this man did a ton for the small block chevrolet engine and his camshaft profiles were awesome for the day. I still remember the 30/30 solid lifter camshaft that came out in theZ28`s from 67-69, these cams made those motors sound BADA$$ and they really rev`d up great and ran great!!

I have your machine too, and like to use the darker pad colors from Lake Country that are exclusive to Properauto care.

Just so you know, I have found a side handle for the Flex that is really great for my style of buffing. It is not sold here, so let me know if you want to know where it is..

So long, Zora Arkus Duntov !!! :)

Dan F

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2010, 12:38 PM
First of all, great NAME!!! Zora is an idol of mine and I have an original Zora 30/30 cam at my house.

The best pad for you is going to depend on your technique, the polish you are using, the paint you are using it, and most importantly personal preference. There is no best pad.

In general, jeweling the paint (or really fine final polishing) with a rotary is going to be different then final polishing with a DA because a DA has two motions that work against each other. The tiny orbits of a DA cause the pad to flex, twist, and compress against itself. This limits the transfer the motion of the machine to the motion of the pad against the paint. Think of a bowl of jello jiggling.

On most paints you will not notice any difference in the finish going from a white pad all the way to a red pad. You will notice faster results with a white pad (my preference for finishing on a DA). I generally will grab a white pad and a black pad an do two sections side by side. On very very very soft paint I may notice a SLIGHT increase in gloss with the softer pad, but this is usually not the case.

I would not recommend using a gold foam pad on a DA as the pad is so soft and so pliable that it will literally eliminate the orbital motion from transfering to the paint.

Extremely soft pads are not ideal for a DA, although some people use them and like them. In the end it is all preference, although scientifically there is little need to go finer then the white pad.

imported_zoraduntov
01-30-2010, 03:22 PM
my user name is Arkus on the corvette forum.
as in Zora Arkus Duntov
If it wasn`t for Zora , I`m not sure the corvette would have survived.
I`ve had the user name zoraduntov about 10 years or more.
I cant wait to try the black fire sealant I ordered from you guys .It will be here Monday .I also ordered some ps1s 100%. Looking forward to that as well .
Back on topic :

Maybe I need a rotery ? Would I get a better shine / gloss ?

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2010, 04:10 PM
my user name is Arkus on the corvette forum.
as in Zora Arkus Duntov
If it wasn`t for Zora , I`m not sure the corvette would have survived.
I`ve had the user name zoraduntov about 10 years or more.
I cant wait to try the black fire sealant I ordered from you guys .It will be here Monday .I also ordered some ps1s 100%. Looking forward to that as well .
Back on topic :

Maybe I need a rotery ? Would I get a better shine / gloss ?

This depends on:

a) your skill with a rotary

vs.

b) your skill with a DA

vs.

c) the paint your working on.

An expert with a DA is going to produce a far better finish then a newbie with a rotary and vice-a-versa.

As far as which machine has the highest absolute potential, I would say that the rotary used to. However changes in abrasive technology/pad technology ect have leveled the playing field in many instances. I find myself finishing with a DA more and more because it can get a hologram/microswirl free finish in less time with zero worry about holograms.

Some paints simply do not like the orbital motion of a DA and may get minor hazing, regardless of the technique used. This seems to be morst prominent on fresh paint or extremely soft paint.

I personally find each tool equally important and wouldn`t be with out either.

ZL1Mark
01-30-2010, 10:33 PM
On most paints you will not notice any difference in the finish going from a white pad all the way to a red pad. You will notice faster results with a white pad (my preference for finishing on a DA). I generally will grab a white pad and a black pad an do two sections side by side. On very very very soft paint I may notice a SLIGHT increase in gloss with the softer pad, but this is usually not the case.

Cool! I`ve always been a fan of stopping with the white pad on my Flex 3401 with 205.

ZL1Mark
02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Todd,

If I use a black pad with 85rd and a Flex 3401, what speed should I use? Generally speaking..

imported_gewb
02-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I liked grey/black set at 5 on my 3401, modest to slow motion (2 to 3 inches per second). Will try the Hydro-Tech Tangerine this spring.

Regards,
GEWB

ZL1Mark
02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I liked grey/black set at 5 on my 3401, modest to slow motion (2 to 3 inches per second). Will try the Hydro-Tech Tangerine this spring.

Regards,
GEWB
Is the tangerine pad too aggressive to use with 85rd on soft paint?