PDA

View Full Version : blue tape ??

Pages : [1] 2

Langley Interior Car Kare
09-29-2001, 09:56 PM
I`ve read alot of "rules" related to the cold weather....I`m not talking about what to winterize....I mean....detailing leather seats...washing....Zaino/AIO in the actual winter(which in the NY area is here....I mean it went from the high 70`s to mid 40`s in 2 days!!!).....

..some people say its 50 degrees....dont wash your car outside below 50....others say the leather wont absorb any conditioner..etc...below a certain temp....are there any rules that are set in stone(not just personal choices)....about interiro/exterior work...like actual degree numbers that are across the board accepted by "most" of us here.

JasonC8301
09-29-2001, 10:20 PM
I do not know about others, but my rule of thumb for washing a car is above freezing and the hose is not frozen. Just the same way I wash in the summer, but with a pair of long pants and a sweater. If there is a garage, QD it. Or if the water or QD freezes on the surface. I washed a car, dried it, then it got colder (later in the evening) and I tried to QD it, upon spraying the QD onto the surface, it froze and took my breath and some buffing to get off, never again!

As for interior work, Vacumm in the garage at 40 or above.

Thats what I do in the winter.

Jason

Langley Interior Car Kare
09-29-2001, 10:24 PM
the sweater...and gloves is a good start....aint got a garage...so i have to rough it...like in the old days....when detailing was done but only the roguhest of men....rebels....outcasts of society....the few...the chosen....the obsessed.....and most of their offspring wound up on this forum....what a coincidence!!!:D

JasonC8301
09-29-2001, 10:30 PM
who said anything about gloves?

I do not have a garage either, I do travel to relatives houses and use their garages for their cars. I would so take of my car with what I have if I had one.

"The few, the proud, the Autopia All Weather Detailers!" haha :D :D AAWD

tssdetailing
12-08-2009, 08:18 AM
the sweater...and gloves is a good start....aint got a garage...so i have to rough it...like in the old days....when detailing was done but only the roguhest of men....rebels....outcasts of society....the few...the chosen....the obsessed.....and most of their offspring wound up on this forum....what a coincidence!!!:D

LMAO!!! i liked that.

AeroCleanse
12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
40F isn`t cold! Below freezing is cold.

mike4690
12-08-2009, 10:52 AM
haha, I remember one time I was detailing my car outside when it was around 40F, and my friend came over and said "Isn`t it a little cold to be detailing" and walked away, I just smiled and went back at it. I agree that as long as the water doesn`t freeze on contact or in the hose, it`s not too cold.

AAWD FTW!

**Frank**
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
If you can swing it buy some Underarmor cold weather gear.

I used to buy cheap walmart/target cloths but took the plunge after seeing a lot of people at the gym wearing the gear.

The stuff works as advertised, will keep you toasty and dry. Some of the best money I have spent on cloths. FWIW

Rob Tomlin
12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Holy 8 year thread revival Batman! :lol

Jaws2008
12-09-2009, 10:37 AM
As long as the water wont freeze on car or hose go for it. ive done it at the freezing point before

camaro.mom
01-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Would someone explain to me how to tape off with the blue tape and how do you determine what gets taped off?

Thanks in advance. As you can tell this is all new to me!!

hopsgt500
01-29-2010, 10:37 PM
First off, welcome to TID. Tape is used to protect things from the polisher. Emblems, plastic trim, etc. I also tape off where panels meet to keep any polish powder from getting in there.

Husker Z
01-29-2010, 10:41 PM
I normally just try to tape off all the emblems and any plastic trim pieces that I don`t want to get polish on. I think if you are using a rotary, you want to tape off any edges that you might hit, so you don`t burn them. But, with a DA, you probably just need to get plastic pieces and emblems.

imported_CARFREAK
01-30-2010, 01:29 AM
I normally just try to tape off all the emblems and any plastic trim pieces that I don`t want to get polish on. I think if you are using a rotary, you want to tape off any edges that you might hit, so you don`t burn them. But, with a DA, you probably just need to get plastic pieces and emblems.

What he said:thumbup:

Puckman
01-30-2010, 07:12 AM
In addition to what`s been mentioned above, I like to mask off any black rubber pieces that are close to paint. I hate it when my pad goes a little wide on the pass and rubs the edge of that stuff. There`s now black gunk on my pad!