PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with cleaning glass

Pages : [1] 2 3

bbquer
09-28-2001, 11:29 PM
Man, it hurts inside.. sob sob

Would all of you guys go find a wheel repair guy or just leave the wheel as is..?

What should i look for when tryin to figure out if the repair guy does quality work ?

I will send a picutre of the damage soon ... it`s not much damage just on the edge.. but damn.. it breaks my heart. :(

Lemonxxs
09-29-2001, 01:00 AM
A damaged wheel is a bad thing. Ecspecially the alloy ones.

Stress fractures can occur and then the wheel can explode at high RPMs do to something I forgot in Engineering school. Centrifigal something or other.

For safety have the wheel non destructive exmained for cracks or just buy a new one. For NDE look up Welding insepectors they may be able to do some dye penetrate testing on the alloy.

God I sound like a geek.

Buy a new wheel!

Lawrence
09-29-2001, 01:33 AM
i dont know if you have heard of the wheel collision center in bath, pa, but it is probably the best place in the country to get your wheels fixed. they have a thing where either they fix yours perfectly or if it is beyond repair they get you a refurbished one one (turned into brand new). i know a few people who got their wheels fixed there and they said it looked brand new. they are featured in alot of websites. prices i think range from 90 to 200 some a wheel, not sure though check it out at www.wheelcollision.com

bmw5541
01-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Okay, so I know that most of us here hate cleaning the windows, but I am really getting frustrated.

I have tried windex (YUCK), water mixed with white vinegar, plain water, and Surf City Garage Clearly Better Glass.

I have not had any success with anything. I thought that the Clearly Better Glass was working well, but now every time I clean my windows, I get streaking. Whatever little hair that I have left, I am ready to pull out.:cursing::doh::banghead:

Do you guys have any suggestions for a method that I can try to get better results? I need help with both inside and out.

It`s funny, I always thought that no matter how clean the car was, if the wheels were not clean the car looked bad, but now I feel the same way about my windows.

Am I fighting a loosing battle?

imported_Blackfire
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
My vehicles have beautiful, clean glass on both sides.

I use Meguiars Glass Cleaner at 10:1 mix.

It`s important to use three cleaning applications to get the glass thoroughly clean in the beginning. After that, I use two steps to clean my glass.

Mist the glass with cleaner. A heavy spray will not make it easier. A fine mist works best.
Scrub back and forth, up and down with a MF towel, refolding as you clean each glass.
Finish with a waffle weave MF towel to buff the glass clean of streaks or spots. Refolding it often.

If you`re seeing minor streaks or spots, mist with distilled water and buff again with waffle weave MF towel.

That process works for me every time, not matter how dirty the glass is in the beginning.

Tip: EXPENSIVE glass cleaners will not solve your problem. It`s a process more than a chemical.

imported_Blackfire
01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
I gave a detailed reply but it said only a Mod can post it after review. Hmmmmm..

Thank you for permitting my post.Da Rules!

imported_Stokdgs
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Barry,

Is this for your Bimmer, right?

Have you ever tried to go over the glass first with 0000 Steel Wool?
How about a good glass cleaner and the Steel Wool ?

There must be something on the glass that is not wanting to come off, so SteelWool usually gets it off, just rub it carefully and thoroughly over every square inch, watching that you dont hit something else with it.

Zaino makes a really good glass polish that smells like toothpaste, that I use sometimes with my PC and a 3" Orange pad that really cleans glass smooth.
Just dont let it dry because it will dust. You can rub it in by hand too.

Good luck with this, you will be fine.

DanF

imported_Flash Gordon
02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Okay, so I know that most of us here hate cleaning the windows, but I am really getting frustrated.

I have tried windex (YUCK), water mixed with white vinegar, plain water, and Surf City Garage Clearly Better Glass.

I have not had any success with anything. I thought that the Clearly Better Glass was working well, but now every time I clean my windows, I get streaking. Whatever little hair that I have left, I am ready to pull out.:cursing::doh::banghead:

Do you guys have any suggestions for a method that I can try to get better results? I need help with both inside and out.

It`s funny, I always thought that no matter how clean the car was, if the wheels were not clean the car looked bad, but now I feel the same way about my windows.

Am I fighting a loosing battle?

Director > Try the "Flash Gordon Method of Madness" :out:

I haven`t used Any kinda window cleaner in over 20 years. All you have to do is clean your glass with straight water. Get 1 of your wash mits wet and have a Dry Cotton medium sized towel or 2 :Santa Smiley:

Get your mit wet and saturate the entire window. At that point come back with your Cotton towel and wipe dry. The secret is you keep wiping/drying untill the water Flashes/Dries completely ;)

As with Any other kinda towel. Do Not use any kinda fabric softner win washing or drying your towels and Always double rinse :White Horse:

My vehicles have beautiful, clean glass on both sides.

I use Meguiars Glass Cleaner at 10:1 mix.

It`s important to use three cleaning applications to get the glass thoroughly clean in the beginning. After that, I use two steps to clean my glass.

Mist the glass with cleaner. A heavy spray will not make it easier. A fine mist works best.
Scrub back and forth, up and down with a MF towel, refolding as you clean each glass.
Finish with a waffle weave MF towel to buff the glass clean of streaks or spots. Refolding it often.

If you`re seeing minor streaks or spots, mist with distilled water and buff again with waffle weave MF towel.

That process works for me every time, not matter how dirty the glass is in the beginning.

Tip: EXPENSIVE glass cleaners will not solve your problem. It`s a process more than a chemical.

Oh, I see you have your on Method of Madness.....Mines better :p

I gave a detailed reply but it said only a Mod can post it after review. Hmmmmm..

Thank you for permitting my post.Da Rules!

^ Yea, thats been happening to me also ^ :rolleyes:

I made a couple of Good Ones the other night and have yet to see them. Guess they went to thread reply Heaven Sleep

Barry,

There must be something on the glass that is not wanting to come off, so SteelWool usually gets it off, just rub it carefully and thoroughly over every square inch, watching that you dont hit something else with it.

Zaino makes a really good glass polish that smells like toothpaste, that I use sometimes with my PC and a 3" Orange pad that really cleans glass smooth.

DanF

Steel Wool on everyday dirty glass > :doh:

imported_Flash Gordon
02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
:Dancing Dot: :Dancing Dot: :Dancing Dot:

Old Pirate
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Barry, how are you washing your towels?

imported_Bunky
02-01-2010, 08:07 PM
I will scrub glass with a terry applicator to break up whatever is on the glass and then wipe it drying using a dedicated low nap towel (no pile type). On exterior glass, I will clean with a glass polish at least every year or so.

bmw5541
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Barry, how are you washing your towels?

Washing them in the machine with regular laundry detergent. Hot water, warm rince. I also use a little white vinegar in the rince cycle.

bmw5541
02-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Barry,

DanF

Yes, this for the bimmer. Steel wool on glass? Does that really work?

bmw5541
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=Flash Gordon;29071]

^ Yea, thats been happening to me also ^ :rolleyes:

I made a couple of Good Ones the other night and have yet to see them. Guess they went to thread reply Heaven Sleep

What`s up with that? That happened to me when I first wrote the post. It took a few days before I saw the post, and now everytime I reply to a post on this thread, the same thing happens.

Is that because I posted it in the How To Forum? I guess that if someone is going to post a "How To", the moderators need to make sure that someone isn`t posting bogus advise. Makes sense to me!

Puckman
02-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Yes, this for the bimmer. Steel wool on glass? Does that really work?

Yes, 0000 steel wool is almost like metallic silk i.e. it`s very fine and does a great job of removing crap from glass. I use my glass cleaner and then 0000steel wool with fairly light pressure. I then follow that with another app of my glass cleaner and a very clean WW MF towel.

You can find 0000 steel wool packs at Lowes, Home Depot etc. I buy them in bundles of about 10 per bag.