PDA

View Full Version : Hello from PA ...

Pages : [1] 2

Blackmirror
09-28-2001, 10:00 AM
Currently I am using Meguiars #26 wax. I put a fair amount on the foam applicator and apply. after a few strokes back and forth, I see that when i glide the applicator on the surface it looks like none is being applied unless i put more pressure on the pad.

When I see a haze forming thats how i can tell that the wax has been applied. Any tips on evenly applying wax?

mx5
09-28-2001, 11:19 AM
You should be seeing it applied as you apply it. You may not be using it enough. Remember you are not trying to rub it into the paint, just apply it.

Blackmirror
09-28-2001, 01:11 PM
so I`ll just put more wax on the pad next time.

So apply for wax and rub for polish correct?

Preachers Sheets
09-28-2001, 01:24 PM
Polish - With this product, as the back of most bottles say, apply in firm circular motions. You want to work this product into the surface to eliminate swirl marks by removing a thin layer of clear coat from the top and using it to fill in the swirl marks.

Wax - This is basically a coat for your car. Your not working it into the paint by force, just putting it on top of your paint, wiping off the excess and enjoying the shine it leaves.

Forgive me if you cannot understand what I am trying to say, I usually find that if you understand the purpose of something it will help you understand the how, when, why where etc…

Blackmirror
09-28-2001, 05:48 PM
I can understand what your saying. I`m just a perfectionist that I have to know every single little thing. Like should a wax be applied with a towel or applicator? in circular motions or straight back andforth?:)

ALM
09-28-2001, 06:17 PM
You should always polish in back and fourth motions with the direction of the wind. If you polish in circular motions you will be working in the same direction of the swirl marks that you are attempting to get rid of.

svanderbilt
09-29-2001, 04:02 AM
Applying wax in circular motions is a big no-no, Steve is right. You`re just opening yourself up to swirl-ville.

much like steve, i go in front to back straight lines, like rows in a field, usually a foot long.

i like to apply two light coats of wax; two to ensure total coverage in case the first light coat didn`t get every inch.

use those circular yellow foam pads; they are best for applying waxes.

also, many of us prefer paste wax over liquid wax. the manufacturer must add solvents in the liquid wax to make it liquid. you get a purer wax with pastes.

imported_Intermezzo
09-29-2001, 11:56 PM
Mix applicator pads that I used to apply a certain product and then use the same applicator to apply a totally different product even after I wash it thoroughly? I`ve been using the same applicator to apply AIO and then wash it thoroughly and then use the same pad to apply SG. If it isn`t OK, then how do you guys keep track? All my foam applicators are yellow.

Also, how do you guys wash your applicators?

Bobby G
09-30-2001, 12:14 AM
I was a big Meg #26 for a long time. For the price, I love it. I found it was best to use small amounts (liquid or paste) and rub it in well (back and forth, not circles). I would do a single panel at a time, and wipe off right away.

db

Don2000g
09-30-2001, 03:03 AM
Intermezzo, I like to store my foam pads in labeled ziploc bags. Just store 1 pad in quart size ziploc bags and write down what you used the foam pad for. That`s it.

David B., I was also a fan of the #26. I still think its one of the better waxes that you can find at your local auto parts stores. The price is also pretty good. Laters.

imported_Intermezzo
09-30-2001, 03:32 AM
Don,

Thanks.

Don2000g
09-30-2001, 01:57 PM
You`re quite welcome!

imported_gdal
01-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello everyone,

Just joined this forum ... I`m a member of two other detailing forums and there are a lot of familiar names around here. I hope to meet members and learn more about detailing.

I currently live in Quakertown, PA, but I will be relocating to NoVa next month (Spotsylvania Co.).

imported_gewb
01-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Welcome!

You`ll enjoy this forum. Jump in, the shine is deep!

Regards,
GEWB
(Denver area)

imported_Luster
01-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Welcome to TID!!!:clap: