PDA

View Full Version : We bought a New Car

Pages : [1] 2

Langley Interior Car Kare
09-27-2001, 08:10 PM
thru the arhives i can pretty much see that alot of people love these mitts....but besides autozone...i cant find them on the web....alot of 100% sheepskin...and others but they dont actually say the manufacturer(Viking) on the websites anywhere.....

also....do most of you guys use 1 mitt only for the tires....1 mitt for the bottom half of the car...and a third for the rest...or the same for the bottom and top of the car.....

lastly...some people hose down there car after a final wash...others use aanother wash mitt and clear water....any big difference you can see???

i heard that klasse and zaino are coming out with mitts....that should be fun for the site>>>Lol:D

BradE
09-27-2001, 08:16 PM
I only use one mitt on my car, but I use the 2 bucket method and wash from the top down. I dont use a mitt for the wheels and tires. I use a cheapo MF towel for the wheels because they clean up really easy (AIOx2 and SGx3 on the chrome wheels) and I use brushes to clean my tires.

There are good chenille mits available that are not Viking. I like Viking because they are available locally and dont cost a lot of $$$. CMA and Tacs also sell good chenille mits

I give my car one final rinse (take the nozzle off the hose). I do it to make sure all the soap is off, and with the flat stream of water it helps to make the water sheet off so drying it is a breeze.

pingiii
09-27-2001, 08:20 PM
If you want really fluffy wash mitts, check out Tim at www.Tacscar.com. His mitts are fluffier than the fat lady at the opera! Enjoy!

09-27-2001, 08:24 PM
let me ask you about the chrome wheels....how often...if ever....do you take the whole wheel off to get to the back part of the wheel....my friend just rolls the car up on those little car lift thingy(whatever they`re called` and gets under there to do it....about 2x/yr.....i dont have one of those so i just drive the car up onto the curb...and get under....this of course requires that you do 1 side then turn the whole car around and do the other....oh life in the city when you live in an apartment...lol:D

BradE
09-27-2001, 08:32 PM
I have Klasse on the back of my wheels as well so nothing really sticks to them and there is not much scrubbing involved. I take the wheels off the car every couple of months during Summer/Spring/Fall and clean them really well. In the winter time I take them off every month and add a layer of SG to the front and back. I do that in the winter months to avoid pitting.

09-27-2001, 08:37 PM
whats pitting?

BradE
09-27-2001, 08:44 PM
Chemicals like road salt can destroy chrome. After awhile the chrome will devlope little marks where the chrome has been damaged. The little marks are called pitt marks.

The chemicals eat away at the surface, and part of the chrome is actually removed. But, it is not removed evenly and it makes like little ridges on the surface of the chrome. The uneven surface and the ridges are what the little marks are.

DETAILKING
09-27-2001, 09:45 PM
viking wash mitts. They make 2.......

09-27-2001, 10:02 PM
i ckecked out your thread DK..i had read it onetime before....how the heck did you fing Viking to email them ...i must have done a million searches of Viking wash mitts and only got retailer websites....great review.....

let me ask one more question about the Wheel detailing....whether i was to use AIO/Zaino......to i get you right that every few mths...you take each wheel off and AIO it...both sides.....I gues im so amazed....because you have to wait to let it cure right...do you jack the whole car up and do them all at once......remeber...i dont even have a driveway so put up with my Newbieness:confused:

DETAILKING
09-27-2001, 10:13 PM
This way you can ask where the local distibuters are in your area.

I am guilty. I don`t clean the insides of the wheels often. I take them off once a year and degrease them and clean them. i should do it at least 3-4 times a year and apply a sealant. As a minimum, I would clean the visible outside (finished) area of your wheels and apply KLASSE or Zaino on them. Every time you wash your car wash them with car wash and a sponge, and apply more sealant every time you detail your car or every 2-3 months. This will keep your wheels looking great, and easy to clean.

Are you wheels clearcoated? billet? chrome?

09-27-2001, 10:25 PM
factory chrome.....all ive used on them so far is mother`s chrome polish....its funny....i didnt even realize in all honesy that the entire wheel is "chromed"....i guess i just thought that the front half was or maybe it was my prozac kicking in or soething....but i was qd`ing the other day...and you know when you start to do just a quicky and your there for alike an hr...one things goes to the next and its almost dark out......

anyway....after i polished them with the mothers...they were so beautiful that it made the rear part....really ugly...to me anyway...everbody else thinks it looks fine.....so i started to try to reach around...thru...the tire...to get at it...what apain in the keester(can i say that here?)....so when i saw autoians talking about taking the wheels off...i was really jealous because with no driveway that would really be a hassle....but....guess what....thats what im gonna do......i figure if i bust it that 1 day to get it done the right way....then some Zaino....its worth it for the whole winter....

DETAILKING
09-27-2001, 10:33 PM
Please use JACK STANDS......... GOOD LUCK

Cybercowboy
09-28-2001, 12:04 AM
I haven`t read all the posts...

I think the Viking mits are great. I like the chenile feel. And they are ... priced right.

BradE
09-28-2001, 10:39 AM
FLONI,

I only AIO the wheels a few times a year, but I do take the wheels off and clean them (Front and back) with soapy water and dry them.Then I usually add a fresh layer of SG to them. I do that about every 2 months in the Summer/Fall/Spring, but I take them off every month in the winter. The back of my wheels are not chromed, I just do it because I am very anal about my car. :)

I put my car in the garage when I am working on the wheels. I put the front on Jack Stands and do the front wheels, and then do the same thing for the back. As DK said, use jack stands or a lift to support your car. I would not trust putting my front wheels on the curb to get under the car. If something should happen you could be very badly hurt or even killed. It`s not worth getting seriously hurt just to clean your wheels. It is best to play it safe.

09-28-2001, 04:18 PM
i already got a stand this am....a 10 ton one..(thats all they had)...it was about $35...i promise ill be careful....