PDA

View Full Version : Claybars

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Wes
09-27-2001, 08:06 PM
Asking for help for my friend.

- 94 325ic Black

There were numerous gray spots on the hood which seems to be hardened bird bomb or tree sap remains from awhile ago which couldn`t be removed.

He used Z7 as lubricant and assuming that the clay bar could remove it. He realized that the surface became smoother to the touch when clayed but the gray spots where still there untouched. That was when he decided to rub the Z18 on the area with higher pressure and actually scratched the surface with the clay bar 8-(

Question1: What should we do next??

Question2: Was the Z18 suppose to get rid of those gray spots or those were probably too tough for the clay bar in the first place??

Thanks.

BradE
09-27-2001, 08:10 PM
If the bird bombs and tree sap were left on the finish for a long time before they were removed, they probably etched into your finish. Clay will not remove etching, you will need to use an abrasive product like 3M SMR or 3M FI2. Depending on how bad the etching is, it may take several passes with an abrasive to totaly remove it.

Good Luck!!

Don2000g
09-27-2001, 11:21 PM
Showroom is right on. Follow his advice. Laters.

RED JEWELL SS
01-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Are there differences in brands of clay bars,or are they pertnear all the same ?
I have used Maguars but no designer brands.

:)

TOGWT
01-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Detailer`s Clay Manufacturers - there are only a couple manufactures of clay and patents protect the technology, with some subtle difference in consistency and firmness, a recent court hearing found components of the ?elastic clay? to be a patent infringement and the judge ordered sale of the product to be halted. (In the United States, Auto Wax Company Inc. (now owned by Illinois Tool Works Inc.) owns the) and reads thus;

[A method of polishing a protrusion or stain from a surface comprising; applying a plastic flexible tool to the surface, the plastic flexible tool comprising a plastic flexible material having mixed therewith an abrasive comprising grains from about 3 to 50 m in diameter and; applying a force to the plastic flexible tool such that a polishing force per area is applied by the plastic flexible tool to a protrusion or stain on the surface, and such that the amount of force per area applied to the surface is less than the amount of force per area applied to the protrusion or stain.] US patent rights (No. 5,727,993)

Auto Wax owns six patents relating to clay products and provides private label clay too many of the detail industry?s leading companies. As a result, all of the Polybutene (Polyisobutylene) or plastic clay being manufactured now comes from the same factory in Japan, which as the original patent holder and has a monopoly on the market. Meguiar`s, Mother`s, Sonus, Zaino, et al get their clay either from Japan (Source Chem. Inc. one of Japan`s biggest clay manufacturers) or from the US licensed manufacturer, Clay Magic, a brand name used by Auto Magic, Auto Wax Co (the U.S. patent holder)

imported_Luster
01-22-2010, 09:55 AM
I`ve used Mothers, Meguiars, Clay Magic, Zaino and Adams.

Here`s my take on claybars. They`re all different colors, different sizes, different "densities", some are sticky, some are soft, some firm... But they`re all about the same price and they all do basically the same thing.

If I buy locally, I use Meg`s or Mothers.

If I`m buying via internet I buy Zaino (I guess the only reason I like Zaino is because it`s red! :cornut:)

Truthfully, I don`t see a whole lot of difference in any of the products. :biggrin:

There may be others who see huge differences in claybars, and, if so, I`d like to read their responses...:Dancing Dot:

Old Pirate
01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
I have been using the Blackfire Polyclay II and to me it`s one of my favorites.

Mobilejay
01-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I have used 3 different clays, zaino, megs white, and clay magic. The differences I have noticed is that the zaino one deteriorates and starts to fall apart after a little while. I stopped using it but it was a good clay. The Megs white I use 90% of the time and find that its good with soft clears by not marring the surface yet strong enough to pull crap out of the paint. The Clay Magic I use either when the clear is hard(if theres a lot of contamination) or because on soft or hard clears the contamination is not coming off with the white Megs. Its a harder clay (clay magic) and I have noticed marring on softer clears(my 09 XB) yet no marring on harder clears. I use it on my XB when there are stubborn spots not coming out with the white.

There are differences and there are a lot of different companies(as explained above) but I have found the Megs white to be a great all around clay bar.

imported_gewb
01-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I`ve used Mothers, Meguiars, Clay Magic, Zaino and Adams.

Truthfully, I don`t see a whole lot of difference in any of the products. :biggrin:

There may be others who see huge differences in claybars, and, if so, I`d like to read their responses...:Dancing Dot:

Well, I`ve been using the Clay Magic for years (six, I believe). It has always performed, without exception, even on the toughest job I gave it - concrete sealant overspray all over every horizontal surface of my car (nothing else would even TOUCH that stuff).

I bought a two-pack of Mothers clay...tried it a couple times and didn`t like it (too sticky in my hand, too soft on the finish, falls apart easily)...gave away the second bar still shrink wrapped.

Also trying the Pinnacle - it`s pretty good but I haven`t had the chance to put it to a tough test (that will come in the spring).

Regards,
GEWB

Bluegrass Cat
01-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Up till recently I would just Sonus Green Ultrafine on cars that in good shape and more importantly that are swirl free and I don`t want to have to polish after claying. For cars that in really bad shape (contaminant wise) or that is swirled and needs polishing I would use Sonus Gray Medium Grade. Now that I have some Opti-Clay a friend currently working in France was able to get me from England, I am using Opti-Clay and loving it. It is as gentle as Sonus Green but removed contaminants just as well as medium grade clay. I will definitely be ordering more from him - stupid US patent laws.

imported_gdal
01-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I guess the patent issues are the reason why the Riccardo claybars are technically "illegal" in the US.

hopsgt500
01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I have been using the Blackfire Polyclay II and to me it`s one of my favorites.

Me too. I was using the mothers clay and it didn`t do the job for me like the polyclay does. :Dancing Dot:

Street Dreams
01-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Megs Blue clay is my personal favorite, mild but still has bite and its very stretch.

Mobilejay
01-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I guess the patent issues are the reason why the Riccardo claybars are technically "illegal" in the US.

Yes exactly

RustyBumper
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I`ve used the Mother`s clay but stopped using it because it crumbles easily and doesn`t do that good of a job of decontaminating paint. After Mother`s, I bought a bar of Malco clay and love it. It does a great job of decontaminating paint. The downside to it is that is hard in nature, but once it heats up a bit it is very easy to manipulate.
I`ve also tried the blue Clay Magic at a friend`s shop and found it comparable in effectiveness, to the Malco.
Lastly, I`ve also tried Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay and found it be very good for light contaminated paint. It`s very easy to manipulate and holds up well.

Of the ones that I`ve tried, I would have to say that the Malco clay is my favorite. Hopefully I`ll try PAC`s clay either spring or summer.