PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a `steamer` and an `extractor`?

Pages : [1] 2

ALM
09-27-2001, 04:40 PM
I got my first order from carcareonline yesterday and inside the box was their price listings, with an extensive section devoted to detailing. I read it over and noitced that many of his detailing practices are out dated (as many has stated previously). They stated that you can apply wax with your hands/fingers, as your body heat will help to melt the wax and allow it to bond to the paint better. Anyone ever try this?

svanderbilt
09-27-2001, 04:55 PM
this is sort of the "zen" approach to automotive detailing. i assume washing your car in the nude would also fall into this category.

I know that zymol likes to push this method with their estate waxes; it`s just another way to skin a cat. i like the old fashioned foam applicator.

but of course, we never apply wax in circular motions. apply wax in front to back straight rows, like in the directions that air passes over the vehicle.

this prevents small scratches that may occur to be seen at many angles, like a circular scratch would.

Don2000g
09-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Yeah, its kind of funny how some companies like to market their products that way. Foam is much much better. Much more even and smooth application. No contest really. Quite a while back, I did try it on one little area on the lower passenger door. I felt foolish applying it this way.

FastHappy
09-27-2001, 05:56 PM
yea i tried this method too. about a 1`x1` area and my hands were cramping up like crazy, can`t imagine doing the whole car this way.

hey beau be careful washing your car in the buff, thats a good way to get a nasty scratch :D

JasonC8301
09-27-2001, 06:57 PM
no comment.

finger waxing, only things my fingers will wax is a females body parts. j/k! :p

I tried it with Blitz and didn`t like it. My fingers got so clammy or how ever you decribe it, my fingers just did not feel right. It was not smooth but rather brittle. Must of been the dried wax.

oh well, I`ll stick to those Pinnacle foam applicators.

:cool:

bmerjorge21
09-27-2001, 07:20 PM
I`ve been known to wash the cars in my birthday suit, no scratches yet!! Seriously, I don`t like waxing with my hands. Tried it on my lawnmower, and found application to be uneven. Good for your hands though.

ALM
09-27-2001, 07:50 PM
It probably wastes product too. I was just curious as to if you could to it. Thanks for the imput guys!

Jason, in your case i would use your hands instead of foam, she may not like that too much! :D

imported_Pats300zx
09-27-2001, 08:10 PM
I tried it, with Blitz.

Imho, the coverage wasn`t good (could be my application technique), but I didn`t pursue that avenue because it seemed to waste a lot of the blitz.

DETAILKING
09-27-2001, 10:04 PM
Both work well. Foam seems to waste less product and give the ability to apply super thin coats. I am nervous when using them though, as they are not very forgiving if there was some dirt on the paint.

Cottons ones feel softer and seem to have less friction with the paint. They are "forgiving" but tend to absorb more product and put on a thicker coat. It takes some skill to put on thin coats with a cotton applicator.

Just be careful and try out both. See what you like best and post it here!

Don2000g
09-27-2001, 11:29 PM
Most certainly try both. You should just know that many of the most respected members here use foam pads for practically everything. They also don`t get hot spots the way that terry pads can. Laters.

Bob Post
09-28-2001, 05:28 AM
was told very few people actually use their hands. It`s kinda like an old Concourse "Wives tale" to use your fingers. I was told that your hands secrete a natural oil and it`s not good for your paint.

It also would seem to take a long time to apply wax, as your fingers have very little surface area. I use foam and it does a great job to me.

ALM
09-28-2001, 10:52 AM
From my personal experience foam is the way to go, cuz you can better control the distribution of the product and as DK said you can apply super thin coats of a product. I also like it better cuz its easier to clean and re-use.

My second choice would be MF applicator pads, they seem to do a bit better job than cotton pads, IMHO.

YoSteve
09-28-2001, 11:13 AM
I used to use my foaming despenser with my hand but then switched to using a mini-mf towel becuase I need more scrubbing power for bugs and stuff. (MF probably a little more forgiving then hands)

Waxing with hands is definately safter than washing with your hand because of the dirt factor, but found I need a little more even coverage then my hand can offer (mind you my hand has enough surface area and all :D)

That`s funny JC, remember hands are optional :)

Ken B
09-28-2001, 01:00 PM
I have applied Zymol state Wax by hand.... It does take forever but if you want to try it...
Take a VERY small amount of wax with the tips of your fingers
Put the wax in the palm of your hand and rub your hands together until the wax melts
Spread the wax with the palms of your hands (I like front to back, in straight lines)
Keep on going over the areas to spread evenly, a "smear" of wax should give you enough for 1/2 of a door panel
Finish one panel and wait the appropiate amount of time (Zymol requires just a few minutes, just enough so the wax gets tacky)
Remove with 100% cotton or Thick MF
Move on to the next panel
Once you are done with the whole car, smoke a big Cigar (trust me you need the rest)
Buff lightly with towel of MF

I do not think durability or shine are affecrted in any negative way due to body oils, but I do apply it over Klasse SG, so your millage might vary.

The best advantage is that you can feel all the rough spots and any dirt you missed in the wash.

Is it worth it?... Nah!
:bounce

TCM
09-28-2001, 05:44 PM
I use Zymol Concours and do use my hand to apply the wax. It is time consuming but it does the job. The thing is that you need to melt the carnauba before applying it to the paint. The Zymol spreads when being buffed off and therefore you get no areas with no wax on them. Another benefit of using your hand is no scratching. You feel any dirt right away and can get rid of it, whereas with a pad you do not realize until after a scratch has occured. Just follow the directions of the wax. They designed it to work a specific way, so apply it that way. If you do not have to use your hand, use a foam applicator. It is much quicker. Hope this helps.

T.C.