PDA

View Full Version : Aarrrgghhhh!!!

Cybercowboy
09-27-2001, 08:22 AM
I used this years ago, my father-in-law was a "dealer". That means he bought a case at a time and sold it to folks at his cost + shipping.

It contained silicon (silicone, not sure.) It was a cleaner product, and was pretty easy to use and did seem to work pretty good on the cars I had back then. They had single-stage paint.

Just wondering if anybody has heard of it, used it, whatever. My dad-in-law still uses it after 25 years. And he isn`t about to change now! When he saw that I was making our cars shiny, he did comment that they looked really good. This was after he saw them a couple of times in our garage. Then both my wife and I drove separately over to their house and you could see our vehicles parked across the street and they looked very shiny and nice. He said "Looks like that Astro Shield`s still working for you!" He was joking, I think.

By the way, his car looks - not so good. He really takes heed of the Astro Shield claim that twice a year is all you need. A car wash wouldn`t hurt now and then, either. I did wash his car for him the other day, the first hand wash it has had in it`s life.

DETAILKING
09-27-2001, 08:54 AM
and still have 1/2 bottle left. It has a nice shine, and is durable. It is a silicone polymer very similar in results to liquid glass in my opinion. It does contain cleaners and abrasives so can not layer, but does a good job as a one step on a car that will only be detailed 2-3 times a year in which the owner does not want to spend time prepping. I am not sure it is still around......

forrest@mothers
09-27-2001, 09:26 AM
DK - they`re still around. Discount Auto Parts (hq`d in FLA) is their largest customer in the country. It`s in a yellow rectangular pint (quart?) can.

Folks in FLA love it because (they claim) it can protect against love bugs.

It`s old school technology, and your reference to Liquid Glass is accurate based on what I`ve seen.

DETAILKING
09-27-2001, 09:42 AM
I have it in that same can. I picked it up at a car show about 5 years ago. You are right, the first synthetic products were polydimethylsilicone polyers....definately not current technology. It did provide decent results though. I would rank it with liquid glass and nu finish. The last time I used it I tried it on my wheels. I have heard that some detail shops and body shops use it as well.

imported_pmdureska
01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
so how many of you have had this happen? i worked like a dog last weekend in the cold to completely clean, wash the new car (i did everything but clay and reseal the paint) inside and out to get the crud off of it. i come home to lunch and the "beast" is out of its lair, taken on a jaunt to st. louis by my wife and a couple of her friends for a little shopping trip. we just had a bunch of nasty sleet last nite and i`m sure the roads are full of good ole salt and slush. could one of the other gals have driven or my wife take her perfectly good DD? noooo. gotta take the nice clean and detailed car my husband worked 2 days on last weekend. i`ll be cleaning out coffee cups, water bottles and crumbs of whatever they decide to eat on the fly. i swear i`ll scream if find they`ve been putting on makeup and hairspray in the beast. you know the signs, lipstick or makeup base on the edge of the visor and those tiny spots of dried hairspray on the mirror and windshield. you know, it`s just not manly. women are definitely "wired" differently than men. you all know what i`m doing this weekend.:banghead:

hopsgt500
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I can understand your frustration for sure, but at least you get to enjoy doing it all over again LOL

Husker Z
01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
HA, that`s what happens every time I clean the cars this time of year. They are clean for the exact amount of time they remain in the garage, then they are immediately dirty upon hitting the nasty, wet, salty streets.

Doesn`t keep me from shining them though!! :clap:

imported_Flash Gordon
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Thats why my cars stay dirty. Whats the point in doing all that work if its just going to get dirty again

imported_Luster
01-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Happened many times!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

imported_Blackfire
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
My wife`s black beauty is resting in the garage for the past two days. She`s been ill and home from work. I took the time to wash and detail it. Tomorrow she will drive it in the snow and sleet.

She`s perfecting my detailing skills. :smile:

MB Fan
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Yeah - women are wired differently. This is her way of saying she loves you! She knows you love to work on the car so she takes it out and dirties it up knowing the pleasure you will get from making it all pretty again. :D

imported_pmdureska
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
you all are right...i`m a glutton for punishment.:cool:

imported_Luster
01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah - women are wired differently. This is her way of saying she loves you! She knows you love to work on the car so she takes it out and dirties it up knowing the pleasure you will get from making it all pretty again. :D

A man who understands women? I don`t get it. (But that`s a great analysis!!!):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: