PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar in cold temps ?

mx5
09-27-2001, 08:08 AM
Upon receiving my order from CMA there was a piece of paper included explaining all of the uses of Klasse AIO. Has anyone tried it on wood as suggested?

svanderbilt
09-27-2001, 04:57 PM
i haven`t tried it on wood; i detail my interior wood with one grand blitz.

i have, however, used AIO to clean sterling silver and brass; and it does this very well.

KR CoolShine
09-28-2001, 08:13 AM
Tile and stainless steel here. Works very well.

I would think that a modern wood finish and AIO would work well together. After all, they modern finishes are very similar to automotive clears. On an old finish like varnish, linseed oil, etc., I wouldn`t go there.

mx5
09-28-2001, 08:18 AM
I`ll try it on a section on the backside of a five year old wood table to see how it turns out.

RED JEWELL SS
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Yesterday it was in the low fortys here and I made a trip to the self service car wash.I washed my Camaro with dawn,rinsed and used meguars clay bar and spray detailer while it was wet.I worked the clay up good and made into my usual flat disc in my hand and proceeded to do the car,surprising enough the car seems to be in very good shape as far as contaminates.
One problem though,the clay would not remain very soft because of the temperature....I wonder how this effects the performance ? any one have an opinion on this ? thanx ! :)

Street Dreams
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Yesterday it was in the low fortys here and I made a trip to the self service car wash.I washed my Camaro with dawn,rinsed and used meguars clay bar and spray detailer while it was wet.I worked the clay up good and made into my usual flat disc in my hand and proceeded to do the car,surprising enough the car seems to be in very good shape as far as contaminates.
One problem though,the clay would not remain very soft because of the temperature....I wonder how this effects the performance ? any one have an opinion on this ? thanx ! :)

When I am dealing with cold temps I usually run my bar under hot water for 30seconds or so to soften it up, may need to do it a second time if the panels on the car are very cold as well.

I do the hot water thing with any fresh bar that isnt malleable.

imported_Flash Gordon
01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
When its cold I always keep my clay in a zip bag in my pants pocket. Warms it up so its more pliable. It does become a bit stiff after rubbing it against the cold metal/water :Frosty:

I don`t think it effects it at all. Just a little more difficult to work with :2 cents:

I cut my bars into 1/4 pieces. Maybe keep 2 pieces in the baggie and rotate as needed or chunk it up on the dash(in baggie) and let the defrost soften it up a bit :wizard:

Bluegrass Cat
01-20-2010, 12:35 PM
When I am dealing with cold temps I usually run my bar under hot water for 30seconds or so to soften it up, may need to do it a second time if the panels on the car are very cold as well.

I do the hot water thing with any fresh bar that isnt malleable.

That is about the only thing you can do to keep the clay soft enough to work with. I used some Sonus Green in the cold and it did OK without warm water. I used my Opti-Clay I got from a friend living in France and it did pretty well in the cold.