PDA

View Full Version : Can I use an ELU as a polisher?

Pages : [1] 2

edgewise
09-25-2001, 06:25 PM
I bought a car duster about 4 months ago, recently washed it with some Chamois soap. I noticed that they sprayed it during manufacturing with some kind of light oil (could smell it..probably to pick up the dust better)..confirmed this when I washed it (floating oil)...now that its dry, what type of aeresol oil should I lightly touch it up with?

Bob Post
09-25-2001, 07:04 PM
those Cali duster things, they can scratch. (Check the archives) Rubbing a dirt-impregnated item across the paint is sure to cause scratches, my buddy scratched his Mustang all up before he stopped using one. Plus that cheap, parrafin wax can cloud and is not compatible with most other products.

Jngrbrdman
09-25-2001, 08:39 PM
California Car Dusters are terrible!!! They are good for about one use and then they are so full of dirt that they don`t do anything but scratch. I had my car completely cut and buffed and there wasn`t a scratch on it untill the next weekend when I got a good look at the paint and saw all the new scratches my duster put on it. I got out a lighter and burned that brush like a torch right there. I hate those things.

edgewise
09-25-2001, 08:53 PM
Well, with all due respect, I don`t use it except on the dry, pollen days, run up to the store 6 miles, or town 12 miles.. took 4 months just for it to show dirt. Its not like I go down a dirt road, then use it after ;)

Hasn`t harmed my finish.

"Plus that cheap, parrafin wax can cloud and is not compatible with most other products."

Come again?

edgewise
09-25-2001, 09:01 PM
Come to think of it, I`ve only been using on a white auto, maybe thats why its tough to see micro-scratches? Haven`t used it on the new Bimmer..hmmm

Cybercowboy
09-25-2001, 11:45 PM
These guys are telling you the truth, the dusters can cause micro-marring especially on nice black cars.

You would be better off using a good QD and 100% cotton or quality MF towel if it is just a light coat of pollen.

If I drive anymore, more than a very few miles, I plan on washing before I QD or anything. Just my paranoia.

This time of year there is so much dust and pollen in the air, at least here. Who knows if it won`t scratch? Why take the chance?

ISLANDSBEST
09-26-2001, 05:12 AM
A quick comment. If you search the archives, I think you will find divided opinion on the Duster. It would be interesting to see if Ripsnorts suspicions are correct and the people who like the duster have light colored cars.

Bob Post
09-26-2001, 06:20 AM
scratch your paint with those things, ESPECIALLY BLK BIMMER PAINT! BMW Clearcoats are not especially thick and Blk shows imperfections much more than white. Heck, with white paint you have to practically scratch the paint down to the bare metal to notice it. I`ve got an M3 and almost everything I do to it can cause scratches, so rubbing a dirty duster across it does not help.

Where do you think all that dirt and dust goes? It`s on and in the duster, then you rub it across the surface, causing micro-marring.

That thing is designed to hold the dirt on it`s surface. Hard to "shake it out" and since it`s not designed to be washed that dirt just stays there. Parrafin wax is cheap, chemically incompatible wax, it`s not a high-quality carnuba wax designed for vehicle paint protection and gloss. Take my word for it, over time you will notice scratches induced by that duster and you will

kick yourself for using that thing, but it will be too late, once you induce scratches all you can do is mask them, they will always be there. (Unless you seriously buff your paint down, but that damages the paint also) You have immaculate new paint, keep it that way and trash the "Cali car scratcher".

edgewise
09-26-2001, 07:31 AM
I will heed to the advice and continue to use the duster only on the white truck (hey, its a truck, and I use it like a truck!)

Thks all for your feedback.

Brad B
09-26-2001, 07:49 AM
I certainly disagree with most folks in this thread. If used properly and under the appropriate conditions the CA Duster will not scratch. I have used CA Dusters for years on several different cars and dark and light color paint. No scratches. Ever.

Too many people use the duster by dragging it over the surface. Wrong! It should lightly glide over the surface barely touching the surface.

Also, too many people can`t distinguish dust from plain old dirt. Maybe it`s an art. It`s certainly critical. Try to wipe off dirt and you are in trouble.

The whole theory of the CA Duster is a lot like playing with fire. Do it carelessly and you will get burned. Do it properly and it`s like magic.;)

bmerjorge21
09-26-2001, 08:19 AM
Been using it for years on multipe color cars (Black to Tan) and have had no probs. I agree with Brad, just use it properly.

edgewise
09-26-2001, 08:27 AM
I might add, I`ve used them very lightly, and after one `swipe` I diligently shake it off outside the garage. After I buff out the new Jet Black-mobile, I`ll try it and report my findings. I`ll make sure I do it after each drive, for 5 days, and report my findings (granted it doesn`t rain!)

Bob Post
09-26-2001, 07:52 PM
at risk using the duster on a daily driver. Brad`s cars are relatively new (except for the classic`s with newer paint) and look to be garaged in his immaculate garage so the duster might not be doing "as much" damage as can be done to a daily driver. I imagine Brad dusting off his cars that are garaged daily and immaculately detailed, so yes, he won`t have "as many" scratches as using one on a daily driver and since his paint is relatively new he won`t see the micro-damage until

later in the paint life. Also, none of his cars are Blk and the colors he has can mask micro-scratches much better than Blk cars can, especially the Blue S4 and Grey Porshce. Better safe than sorry later in the paint life. Fact: Dragging dirt across the surface of paint WILL cause micro-marring (scratches), whether you see them now (or more likely) later in paint life. Test for yourself if you must, but I`ve used `em and my buddy has used them and he can NEVER bring that paint back. Let us know what you find.

bmerjorge21
09-26-2001, 08:24 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ZV [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> Brad`s cars are relatively new (except for the classic`s with newer paint) [/b]</blockquote>Speaking on Brad`s behalf (although I really have no place, or right to) I believe the Jag has original paint.
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<strong class=`bbc`> especially the Blue S4 and Grey Porshce. [/b]</blockquote>Again I hate to be a pain but both the S4 and Boxster are silver. I hate to be such a pain, and it really isn`t my place but I feel the need to correct. I`m sorry ZV, there is defintely something wrong with me.:(

hook
09-26-2001, 08:29 PM
My experience matches Brad`s in this case. I park in a large lot near a highway that gets a lot of dust. I dust my car almost every evening with a CA duster, and have yet to see *any* marring in the paint. I use it on both vehicles, both have very dark paint. One has AIO/KSG, the other has AIO/KSG/Souveran.

The last time this question came up, I decided to start an experiment. if the duster really doesn`t scratch, thenit makes no difference which way I glide (important point in Brad`s post) it over the paint. So about a month ago I started gliding the duster perpendicularly fromthe direction that I do everything else...i.e. sideways across the hood, roof, and trunk, parallel to the lengtho f the car down the sides. This way, if I see any micro marring or scratching, I can tell if it came from the duster or from wash/dry/QD.

NO marring so far. except some in the Souveran caused by the use of the wrong towel to QD the hood (caught myself halfway through, it only marred the wax, not the klasse. Dawn/rewax with Souveran fixed it).

Blue Skies,

Andy