PDA

View Full Version : hi from land o lakes

YoSteve
09-25-2001, 01:53 PM
darbh, you beat me to the usual, try something new post that I try to put out every once in awhile

I work in a lab and we use a product called Sparkleen to clean our glassware and lab equipment. It claims to leave no residue in the hardest water. Wonder what it would do to the big Z and K bunch.

(I will not try though, my baby is to sacred) I guess here`s the question this thread begs, if Dawn may residue, what won`t?

imported_Road Kill
01-17-2010, 06:21 AM
it was -20F here last week :Snowman:, and it got above freezing today so I wanted to take advantage of the warm weather and work on my cars

not sure where to put this, what are some good metal polish to get for Vette C6 ehxaust tips and also the clear top? And how about headlight polishing?

imported_Flash Gordon
01-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Wow -20...It should be illegal for it to get that cold :Snowman:

For those tips. I have used dozens of different metal(chrome)polishes over the years.I think most are just car polishes packaged in a different labled bottle :devil:

Hands down xtreem metal polish is the best I have used to date. Don`t see how anything could be any better then xtreem :wizard:

If the tips are corroided a bit you will need to hit them with some APC and xxxx steel wool before polishing ;)

As for the headlites.Depends on how bad they are. Could be able to just polish them out. If not, 1500/2000 grit sandpaper followed by 105/205 works as good as anything.Be sure and tape that area up real good, lots of oppurtunnity to make a fatal mistake in the hood/headlight area :scared:

Clear Top....Do you mean clearbra or plastic back window :confused:

Welcome to Truth In Detailing Road Kill. Hope to see you around :Car smiley:

imported_Luster
01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Welcome to TID!!!!

For Exhaust Tips, I like Happich Simichrome Polish or Mothers Billet Aluminum Polish. Both are excellent products.

For your C6 clear Targa top and headlights, I would use Meguiar`s PlastX for polishing. (Mine is a convertible so I don`t know if your top is plastic or glass)

Simichrome polish keeps my exhaust looking like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/03_spiralgray/IMG_3453-1.jpg

imported_Road Kill
01-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Headlights are not scratched, just have a little bit of haze or fog, not bad, just not as clear as I`d like.

Both the top and headlights I have used Zaino, wash them with Z7 along with rest of car, then Z6 or Z8. Top looks great but I am thinking if I can find something that works for headlights and also on top, I`ll get it. I will be going over Vette this spring, SIP, Nano, then Zaino. If the fog on headlight is the Zaino, I`ll know when I prep the car.

have used Simichrome, no complaints about it but always looking for new products.

It is kind of funny watching and listening about the cold snap everyone experienced recently, that`s normal winter here. When it gets 20 0r 30 below, now THAT`S cold!

Jack Kruer
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Road Kill,
Welcome to TID :hurray: I hope you enjoy your time here. I look forward to your contributions.

jk

imported_Luster
01-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Headlights are not scratched, just have a little bit of haze or fog, not bad, just not as clear as I`d like.

Both the top and headlights I have used Zaino, wash them with Z7 along with rest of car, then Z6 or Z8. Top looks great but I am thinking if I can find something that works for headlights and also on top, I`ll get it. I will be going over Vette this spring, SIP, Nano, then Zaino. If the fog on headlight is the Zaino, I`ll know when I prep the car.

have used Simichrome, no complaints about it but always looking for new products.

It is kind of funny watching and listening about the cold snap everyone experienced recently, that`s normal winter here. When it gets 20 0r 30 below, now THAT`S cold!

I`ve been a Zaino guy too, for about the last 10 years. I also like Blackfire Wet Diamond. No hype, just one of the best sealants out there for slickness, shine, ease of application and removal and longevity. Z5Pro and Wet Diamond are definitely my two favorite sealants depending on the vehicle!:thumbup:

imported_Flash Gordon
01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
As for those headlites. Do you have a polisher?

If not, PAC is having a good sale going right now on a Porter Cable 7424xp or the Meguiars G110V2 and pad combo :wizard:

imported_ZimRandy
01-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Welcome to TID. :thumbup:

-20* just weeds out the riff raff. I think it is a small price to pay for no hurricanes, earthquakes, or sweltering summer heat and humidity.

Enjoy the site,
Randy

imported_RaskyR1
01-18-2010, 11:52 AM
it was -20F here last week :Snowman:, and it got above freezing today so I wanted to take advantage of the warm weather and work on my cars

not sure where to put this, what are some good metal polish to get for Vette C6 ehxaust tips and also the clear top? And how about headlight polishing?

Welcome to TID!

Always nice to see new members from MN! :Dancing Dot:

imported_Road Kill
01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
thanks everyone

woo hoo! took advantage of the 10% off and free shipping from PAC, received my SIP today :clap: