PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wells and Stoner Trim Shine

imported_Victor
09-24-2001, 01:21 PM
OK,

So I live in NYC and can`t wash my own car cause I live in a high rise. So I have to take my car to a brushless car washing place (not a wash your own) yeah I know it sucks

I have two coats of AIG plus 3 coats of SG and one topper 1g blitz.

How quickly do you think the car wash place will strip my car of all the above mentioned?

Thanks

richfnyc

imported_nihoole
09-24-2001, 01:48 PM
I am no means an expert but I would find out what type of products this place uses(soap,additives,towels etc.)and go from there.Also do they use hot water,I would think water thats to hot would remove wax alot quicker than cold water.This is just my2 cents and may not be worth that:D.I am sure some one with more info will chime in.See ya

andrew43
09-24-2001, 01:50 PM
Even though the detergents at the touchless car washes are pretty heavy duty, I wouldn`t think that they would have much effect on the durability of a polymer (the blitz will gone quickly though). OTOH, the pre-wash at a lot of automatic car wash places seems to contain hydrofluoric acid, which will probably strip everything on the car relatively quick. I would avoid them if possible if I were you. I would go to a do it yourself place or simply not wash the car that often, as long as their is a quality sealant underneath the grime.

BTW, you can find some great info at http://www.carwash.com. (`http://www.carwash.com.`) Ron K gave us this link quite some time ago. I especially like reading through some of the articles there.

mx5
09-24-2001, 01:50 PM
My Klassed vehicle still beads after a run through a cloth car wash. Also my vehicle still beaded from Klasse after doing a Dawn dishwashing soap cleaning. Dawn is supposed to remove waxes but does not seem to remove polymer based products that well.

mx5
09-24-2001, 01:53 PM
It would probably be diffcult to find out what soap is being used. You will probably get answers like "The car wash standard" or "A special soap that will cut through grease but not harm your car" or "I don`t know I just order whatever I am told."

I doubt you will get the chemical composition of the soap.

imported_akimel
01-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I am not a professional. I only have two cars to worry about; hence finding the most economical product for a specific detailing task is not my primary concern.

Consider, e.g., wheel wells. If I were a detailing professional, I would probably use something like Meguiar`s Hyper Dressing. It hides the wheel wells very well, so I am told. It can be diluted (2:1, 3:1, 4:1) and used for many other tasks, too. It`s a versatile and economical product.

BUT ... the wheel wells on my Honda S2K are difficult to access. A normal spray bottle will not squeeze in between the tire and fender. So what to do? For the past six months I have been using Stoner Trim Shine for this purpose. It comes in an aerosol spray can. The spray is powerful enough to reach to the furthest part of the well and is focused enough not to get on stuff I don`t want it touching. It hides the wheel arches just fine. I recommend it.

I picked up my can of Trim Shine from the local NAPA store. They ordered it for me--got it in the very next day. Tim Shine is also available through PAC. I have used my can multiple times now and am finally nearing the end. I need to pick up a new can very soon.

I recently picked up a bottle of Griot`s Undercarriage Spray, which I intend to use on the wheel wells of our CR-V. Those wells are very accessible to a spray bottle, so I do not need an aerosol spray. Maybe I should have just gotten a gallon of Hyper Dressing, but the Griot`s was on sale ... What can I say? I`m a sucker for sales. :rolleyes:

I also understand that Trim Shine does a very good job on the hoses in the engine bay. I haven`t tried it yet, though. I still have a couple of cans left of CD-2, which I will probably continue to use as long as the stuff is locally available. But if CD-2 should disappear (again), I will then switch to Trim Shine to dress the engine bay hoses--or I`ll finally break down and get the Hyper Dressing.

What do you like to use on your wheel wells?

Cheers,
Al

muttgrunt
01-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Al,
Good to see a fellow owner/s2kier around. Here`s my 2cents to add that may be of use...

Meg`s hyper-dressing is truly great stuff. To be able to control product use and finish by doing something as simple as diluting makes things pretty easy. Some folks no-doubt use this on wheel wells, but we usually don`t.
I personally perfer oil-based products like Meg`s All-season dressing (CG Barebones, Adams or Griot`s Undercarriage spray, etc ,etc) over water based ones. While this products do not dilute down, they are quick and easy to use, and provide easy complete coverage. Because they`re usually thinner/lighter liquids, they spray out of sprayer bottles quite easily, do not clog spay head nossles, and atomize very well (hence the complete coverage).
While these products have their pros, they also have their cons. They`re slicker/slipperier, harder to wipe-off overspray if used outside on a windy day (lesson learned), do not dilute, and take a LONG time to dry. Even with the greatly increased time it takes to dry, I find them worth it as even if you drive your ride directly after applying, you shouldn`t have to worry about "sling" like you would with tire dressings.

Also, I`ve had no problems using such products on my s2k`s front wheel-wells: I get close in, and spray liberally as to give complete coverage. If you already have it for the CR-V, give it a try on the s2k sometime and let me know what you think.

Aresole cans can be great, but they often run out quickly, and atomize so good that they must be applied inside the garage - well out of any potential wind as overspray becomes a much bigger issue.

-Marc

bmw5541
01-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Luster suggested that I try AA Tire Foam, and I must admit that I was a bit skepticle at first. Knowing that Bill wouldn`t steer my wrong, I picked up a can at Wally World, and I have to say at worked GREAT. I just sprayed it into the well, and walked away.

Tuck91
01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Go for the gallon of Hyperdressing. Thats all I use in wheelwells and I absolutely love it. I use it at 2:1 in the wheelwells.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/Tuck91/DSC05461.jpg

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/Tuck91/DSC08801.jpg

imported_Luster
01-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Luster suggested that I try AA Tire Foam, and I must admit that I was a bit skepticle at first. Knowing that Bill wouldn`t steer my wrong, I picked up a can at Wally World, and I have to say at worked GREAT. I just sprayed it into the well, and walked away.

I`ve always like AA Tire Foam for wheel wells. It`s cheap, and it`s "spray on walk away"!

Not so much for customer vehicles, but for my daily drivers it`s great!