PDA

View Full Version : DavidB, Autopia-the end of an era?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Glozz
09-23-2001, 05:46 PM
After about a month I`ve noticed the hood surface of the wife`s 4Runner getting contaminated. The plastic bag trick does make the finish feel rough in places.

Here`s my qustion: Can I use Zaino`s clay bar and Z-7 as lube to clean the surface even though I have applied Z-5 and Z-2 to the surface? Or should I wait until the spring and use a cleaner and start from scratch on the surface? It appears that I need to use something more then the Zaino polish products to get things clean again.

Feedback please...

vdubrick
09-23-2001, 06:08 PM
Here`s an original quote from Sal Zaino regarding whether claying would remove Zaino :

"A light or simple Claying will not remove Zaino.

Repeated Claying of the paint surface will eventually remove Zaino....

Zaino is very durable.... "

Deckard

BradE
09-23-2001, 06:28 PM
If you are going to use any type of abrasive to clean the surface, you will need to redo the Zaino. You can clean the panels that need it, and just re-Zaino those panels if you dont want to redo the whole car.

I would try the clay first, that way if it works you wont have to start over like you would if you use an abrasive cleaner.

Good Luck!

imported_Brad
09-23-2001, 06:55 PM
No need to completely redo Zaino. Just clay and then retop with Z2 or Z5 to bring everything up to par again. I have done this for a long time and it works well. One application of clay will not remove Zaino, just pull contaminents out of it. The re-application will simply recoat the voids left by the contaminents.

Glozz
09-23-2001, 07:03 PM
Thanks much guys!!!

ISLANDSBEST
09-24-2001, 12:39 AM
One thing to keep in mind, which we sometimes forget, is to re-Z1 periodically. Sal says every year or 10 coats of 2,3,5. DK recommended more frequently (5-10). I re Z-1ed at 7 coats and it did made a difference.

Depending on the number of coats you have, and considering that the clay does remove some Z, you may consider re-Z1ing the areas you clay.

TOGWT
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
[Autopia was sold by DavidB to a new company, Autopia LLC back in May 2009 David stayed on to assist in the transition] Originally posted by admin

imported_RaskyR1
01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
This have anything to do with HD?

DLB
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
This have anything to do with HD?

That was my thoughts on the matter.
The HD people have been pretty active over there, and they used Autopia to launch some of their stuff.

DLB

imported_RaskyR1
01-12-2010, 03:52 PM
That was my thoughts on the matter.
The HD people have been pretty active over there, and they used Autopia to launch some of their stuff.

DLB

Yeah, that and David helped them out a lot with it too. Do I win a prize for being the first to guess it if I`m right? :D

Detailing Technology
01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
It`s been a vagtastic voyage! Autopia has been nothing but good to me, no negative press on the sale. Good luck to the new owners.

What can you do?

That site must have been a ton of work for limited rewards.

bigpoppa
01-12-2010, 05:29 PM
It`s been a vagtastic voyage! Autopia has been nothing but good to me, no negative press on the sale. Good luck to the new owners.

Vagtastic, I thought I was the only one on the planet who used that term, LOL. I might actually be the only one who uses it IRL, though. :D

I wonder what will become of DavidB? Will we ever hear from him again?

gmblack3
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Era? :yawn:

The major problem I have always had with autopia is the way some are banned with no good reason. IMO the reason why a few great detailers where banned is because of sponsor pressure.

Now if the new owners where smart, they would let these knowledgable detailers come back, that is if the detailers wanted to.

Old Pirate
01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, that and David helped them out a lot with it too. Do I win a prize for being the first to guess it if I`m right? :D

Yes, come on down to collect your prize ........:D

Street Dreams
01-12-2010, 11:00 PM
...politics

.../thread