PDA

View Full Version : Should old wax be stripped

Pages : [1] 2 3

JonB
09-23-2001, 11:51 AM
I Klassed my dark green Mustang several weeks ago and put a Souveran topper on. Yesterday, I washed with Pinnacle shampoo and then QD`d with Crystal mist using a Viper MF towel. When I took a look this morning with the light just right, I noticed what looked like 3 D Swirls. :eek: Upon closer inspection, I swiped my finger over one of these swirls and it disappeared! Then I took a yellow cotton shop cloth and rubbed fairly hard to remove this haze and the swirls were gone.

I am thinking that the MF towel did not buff the Crystal Mist out fully and left the swirly haze. It`s the first time I`ve noticed this and I have used CM regularly. I am going to repeat the QD but use the cotton cloth to buff instead of the MF. I guess I am going to order some of the suede MF stuff too.... I do live in Florida and it was relatively hot, but the car was in the garage when I QD`d with no direct sun on the paint. I did leave it out of the garage last night and there was dew on it this morning but I doubt that could cause this haze.

H

offcenter
09-23-2001, 12:44 PM
bigboyhf,

I have posted a few topics similar to yours. Using MF and QD`s I get smearing and microlint. I have tried various MF cloths, various methods-none work as well as a good 100% cotton cloth. You will probably get some replies telling you that certain MF towels don`t exhibit these swirling, smearing, lint results, but why waste money buying more of these MF`s and being a guinea pig, like I was. Just get some good 100% cotton Charismas, cut `em up to size and be done with it. It`s interesting to note that when you used a cotton cloth, the swirls were gone. Just confirms my results;)

rstype
09-23-2001, 12:53 PM
As rad21 said, you will get some replies telling that some microfiber towels dont have the linting, smearing, swirling, because they really do work great.

I`d highly recommend buying a Miracle Towel! You can get them from:
-CMA (www.properautocare.com)
-YoSteve (www.yosteve.com)
-TACS (www.tacscar.com)

Most users after trying them, never go back to Miracle Towels.

Good luck! And sometimes using too much product will cause the mess you see.

JonB
09-23-2001, 01:47 PM
I have 3 Miracle Towels, but they were not clean. So I used the Vipers instead. I can`t remember seeing anything like that when I used the Miracle Towels which is what I usually use for final buffing.

I`m still gonna try the suede MF`s. I have to use my money on something other than the stock market....:rolleyes:

H

JonB
09-23-2001, 01:51 PM
I forgot to add that I never use Miracle Towels on windows due to the lint. The Vipers don`t seem to suffer from the same linting problem on windows. But mostly I use crumpled newspaper and Stoner`s Invisible Glass for windows. Works better than anything I`ve tried so far. I do use the yellow MF glass towel for the inside of the tinted windows using it just slightly damp and then drying with the soft cotton cloth. No streaks and works really well.

H

BillNorth
09-23-2001, 01:58 PM
I experienced the same thing with Show off. So have many others. I`m at the point now where I no longer QD. It`s not worth the aggravation.

offcenter
09-23-2001, 04:26 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by BW [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>As rad21 said, you will get some replies telling that some microfiber towels dont have the linting, smearing, swirling, because they really do work great.

I`d highly recommend buying a Miracle Towel! You can get them from:
-CMA (www.properautocare.com)
-YoSteve (www.yosteve.com)
-TACS (www.tacscar.com)

Good luck! And sometimes using too much product will cause the mess you see. [/b]</blockquote>
I own 2 Miracle towels, 1 from TACS and one from CMA, both lint after repeated washings..... You said it best: Most users after trying them, never go back to Miracle Towels! That`s me:eek:

imported_Adamah
09-23-2001, 04:48 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by BW [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

[/b]</blockquote>I too have tried them and have found that everyone I`ve tried (Miracle, Griots, Viper, Wizards) have left lint. They are now used to dust the interior. Charismas seem to work the best for me and Zaino.

rmccall6
09-23-2001, 04:51 PM
QD`s are finicky about their towels and you have to do some experimentation between MF and cotton. Overall, ive had better luck with MF. I use the green viper towels and experience no lint when used on paint and veryy little to no lint on windows...

Greek Guy
09-23-2001, 04:56 PM
I mostly use Neatitems MT`s or the orginal MT from CMA. I have no problems with linting with either. If it`s real humid outside then you may get a slight haze after using a QD.

JonB
09-23-2001, 05:28 PM
Are you saying that it might be humid in South Florida????? I don`t think it was more than 92% this morning.....dry as a bone!! :cool:

My MT`s are from CMA and the blue MT leaves teensy snow like lint on the windows. It only shows up at night when you are driving into headlights. I never saw lint on the paint though. Though I may give up on the MT for QD`ing, there is nothing better to polish, wax and SG.

I bought some yellow soft cotton shop towels from somewhere like Walmart ,and these are excellent for windows and general buffing. I just repeated the QD with these and will wait for morning to see if a similar haze forms.

I will have to build an extension on my garage pretty soon to accomodate my towel collection!

H

rstype
09-23-2001, 05:59 PM
Ooops... I meant it the other way around... :)

I guess I`ll need to proof-read it more carefully. My experience with the MT was excellent. No lint, no problems.

BradE
09-23-2001, 06:40 PM
There has been many debates here about Miracle Towels. I have 6 of them, some old ones and some new ones. My old ones never left lint at all, but my newest towel is horrible. It leaves lint all the time, even after 5 washings.

I just got 7 Charismas, so I will be using them and my old Miracle Towels for awhile. In my experience with Miracle Towels, the old ones are much better. Hopefully, the next batch of Miracle Towels will be better than the ones they are selling now.

JonB
09-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Well, after using several different QD`s, and several different types of towels, the next day comes along and there is a haze on the car!!! I am starting to think that this is from the high humidity or perhaps the Souveran evaporation is causing it. I just used the MF Glass towel (yellow) to buff the haze off without QD. There are no streaks and no haze. Now if it comes back again, it can be assumed that it is not from the QD product or the towel! I think....:confused:

H

YoSteve
09-25-2001, 04:18 PM
lets see here: a "good 100% cotton cloth" will perform, I`ll agree with that, but you`ll have to agree that if you get a good miracle towel then it will perform too

it`s unfair for me to say that non-linting cotton towel will lint as it is unfair for you to say that non-linting miracle towel will lint

This is not a debate, Why is this not a debate? Because yeah, if you have a linty microfiber towel it will have lint. Why? because it is a linty microfiber towel (therefore bad). But that is by no means the correct towel. Don`t use a bad towel (don`t buy a bad towel).

One thing I can tell you is that all of us are working to get the microfiber towel that works correctly. (it`s the only one i`ll use and recommend) If you have a bad one you cannot blame all the other microfiber towel users and tell them they are wrong (I am certainly not saying that everyone says this so don`t get me wrong either). If you get a good one works like magic.

If you sent me one of your bad MT`s it will lint on my car, just like if I send a good MT it will not lint on your car. This isn`t an error in test methods, it`s a error in towels.

What more do I need to stress in order to convince others that a good miracle towel is a good one and a bad miracle towel is a bad one.

I certainly don`t say yeah, I tried some cotton towels and they all lint so I don`t use them cause they lint BECAUSE not all towels betwixt manufacturers are alike despite being made of the same things. It`s the same reason why we don`t use Nicsands on paint (same material in theory, but scratches).

(despite the fact that humidity is the culprit anyways) :)